Holiday mail in US.?

Phillyfan

O.G.
Nov 25, 2007
I mailed a payment on a bill from Pennsylvania to Texas on December 15. Today is December 28 and it still has not been received. Do you think it is lost? Or is it normal around holidays to take that long? It was late in the day on Thursday, Dec.15 and the 17, 18, 24, and 25 were weekend days. Should I be concerned? Check did not clear at bank and no notice of it pending to check funds either.

This happened to me one year at this time. It never arrived nor did it come back to me. You can call the company you sent the bill to to let them know, but be careful that they don't jack your interest rates up if it is "late".

Could it be that the mail is still in processing? When I paid one of my bills it took almost THREE weeks for it to be posted to my account, because it was still stuck in the processing department.

Did you pay via check? Call the bank and have that check canceled, call the company and let them know that you are sending another check and call maybe a week later to ensure that they got the check :smile:

I noticed that it is taking longer this year. My telephone bill has not been processed yet and it was mailed 10 days ago. I think between the loads of mail being sent coupled with all the people who are on vacation, or unmotivated because they couldn't get time off...it is taking longer.

But it would be prudent to check. One year the fill-in letter carrier here got overwhelmed and stopped delivering all the mail. It just piled up in his truck. When it was finally delivered, several bills came 2 weeks late. It is a good incentive to sign up for online bill payment.

This is why I send payments electronically, especially for credit cards. I have a theory that credit card companies let physical checks lay on a floor in a room somewhere for a really long time. You have no way of knowing if they actually got it or not. It is your word against theirs. They can't monkey around with it if you pay electronically.

In response to your mail question, I always find mail around the holidays moves faster because they are in a mode where they have all their staff working and things actually seem to arrive sooner, rather than later, IMO. That's why I never ask for expedited shipping around the holidays because things arrive very quickly anyway.

So frustrating. I will call again tomorrow. I mailed another check today (for a diff. amount) to same place in Dallas. Now I'm curious to see if this new one arrives before the old one!

Hooray!!!!! Finally - my payment was received and posted on January 3rd! I mailed it to Texas from Philadelphia on Dec.16th. Going crazy and started thinking about doing a stop payment. Think it is time to switch to online banking!