Food Holiday Cookies

Sep 17, 2006
So I know it's super early, but the decorations are already going up up here, and I'm in a Christmas cookie mood! I love making snowflake sugar cookies with sugar on top, those twisted red and white candy cane cookies, chocolate sandwich cookies with peppermint cream filling and rolled in crushed candy canes, decorated gingerbread men...

So what is your favorite holiday season cookie?

OMG. I'm terrible at cookies. The only kind I'm REALLY good at are M&M cookies. But I love when people give me holiday cookies!!! I have different favorites depending on who they're from...

-From my mother: frosted cut-outs, shortbread, kolacky. But seriously, all of my mom's cookies are good. She has crazy cookie baking skills! ;)

-BF's mom: Rum balls and mini cannolis

-Sister's MIL: pecan tassies

Despite all these lovely homemade goodies, my favorite are Costco's raspberry rugala. They are AMAZING. They sell them in their bakery section around Hanukkah time. They only come in an assortment of cookies that are otherwise just meh.

My familys favorite are my 'famous' chocolate chips...I recipe that I worked on tweaked and tweaked and finally settled on about 15 years ago...boring, I know but they love them.

My personal favorites are butterscocth oatmeal, cream cheese 'gems' or these chewy chocolate ones I bake....

Yum! Now I am ready for some cookies!!

I love iced sugar cookies. I've been trying to make the perfect ones for a few years. The other weekend I bought a set of snowflake cookie cutters that I can't wait to try. Maybe this will be my year. I like to make Russian Tea cookies, jam thumb print cookies, and chow main noodle cookies for the holidays. I also do peanut butter and chocolate fudge, toffee, and caramels. My Mom use to do holiday cookie exchanges. She would bring home the prettiest cookies. She would make shortbread wreaths, candy cane cookies, pinwheels, and all kinds of pressed cookies. She made ones we called rum balls, but I can't figure out what recipe she used. They were a lot like the Russian tea cookies.

My familys favorite are my 'famous' chocolate chips...I recipe that I worked on tweaked and tweaked and finally settled on about 15 years ago...boring, I know but they love them.

My personal favorites are butterscocth oatmeal, cream cheese 'gems' or these chewy chocolate ones I bake....

Yum! Now I am ready for some cookies!!

Perfect chocolate chip cookies are never boring! I'm still trying to find that perfect recipe...

Gingerbread men, hands down!!! Yummy.
I also love those buttery, melt in your mouth cookies that are dipped and covered in powdered sugar and walnuts. I don't know what they are called. I'd love the recipe if anyone has it. I think they're Hungarian Christmas cookies?

Now, I am going to want cookies! But, when we do bake (my mom tries to discourage it b/c of the obvious end result!), we make snickerdoodles, chocolate chip (in bars or drop), those peanut butter cookies w/ the Hershey's kiss in the center. My mom loves the press cookies- Spritz, I think? We also alternate b/t these chocolate cookies w/ white choc chips and another kind that is a chocolate cookie w/ caramel in the center.

My favorite holiday cookie is the Italian Knot cookie. My Nana always made them when I was little, and last year was my first attempt at making them myself. They were halfway gone before they were put out on the table!

Gingerbread men, hands down!!! Yummy.
I also love those buttery, melt in your mouth cookies that are dipped and covered in powdered sugar and walnuts. I don't know what they are called. I'd love the recipe if anyone has it. I think they're Hungarian Christmas cookies?

My mom makes something like that. They're just called "snowballs". I found this recipe online & I think it's just like hers. Not sure if it's what you were talking about though...

SNOWBALL COOKIES
1 c. butter
1/2 c. confectioners' sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. sifted flour
1 c. chopped nuts (pecans)
Additional confectioners' sugar (for rolling)

Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add remaining ingredients, mix. Use a teaspoonful of dough and roll into small ball. Bake at 375 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes. Cool slightly and roll in confectioners' sugar.

My mom makes something like that. They're just called "snowballs". I found this recipe online & I think it's just like hers. Not sure if it's what you were talking about though...

SNOWBALL COOKIES
1 c. butter
1/2 c. confectioners' sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. sifted flour
1 c. chopped nuts (pecans)
Additional confectioners' sugar (for rolling)

Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add remaining ingredients, mix. Use a teaspoonful of dough and roll into small ball. Bake at 375 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes. Cool slightly and roll in confectioners' sugar.

Oh wow. Thank you!:heart:
I'm gonna try this recipe. Sounds yummy.