Food Holiday Breakfast

serafina

Aug 15, 2009
This year we're having out of town guests and relatives for the new year's weekend. My mother has asked me to help her come up with a very special new year's day breakfast..

Here's what I have planned:

Spinach and mushroom quiche
Grilled cheese and jalapeno sandwiches
hash brown casserole
Scrambled Eggs with onions, avocado and cheddar
pumpkin muffins
tangerine sorbet
coffee and cappuccino
fresh fruit platter

What else can we add? Take anything out? I feel like its not cohesive... do these things go together? Doesnt feel so balanced....or holiday-ish, does it?

I would probably take out the sorbet and pumpkin muffins..pumpkin is for Halloween IMO

I would do some sort of cinnamon muffin, and add some holiday sweets for dessert instead of the sorbet.. IMO cold desserts aren't as popular in the winter.

I would also add mimosas !

Pumpkin is definitely used in North America at Christmas. I would keep them on the menu. I don't know that I'd go with a sorbet and maybe add some kind of meat, if you're meat eaters. Other than that, I think it sounds great.

Sorbet sounds delish but it is summer where i am! I would add some freshly squeezed juices, maybe roasted tomatoes, im not a fan of it but most people are so maybe some bacon or even sausages, maybe croissants or fresh baked bread or rolls. i am a breakfast fan lol

You need something salty and meaty IMO... maybe grilled bacon or pancetta? or baked, sliced ham?

I've seen bacon baked crisp in the oven, and served with maple syrup for dipping... that's probably awesome.

Does everyone like spicy? Might want to check before you commit to cheese and jalepeno sandwiches. Maybe you could make half of them grilled cheese & jalepneo and the other half grilled cheese and ham. Or grilled cheese and avocado.

Keep the pumpkin muffins but replace the sorbet with something like croissants.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

As per the advice given here, sorbet is out, we're going to do fresh squeezed blood orange and grapefruit juice instead, mimosas, and almond croissants. None of us eat ham due to religious reasons but i think turkey bacon and turkey sausages with roasted tomatoes, olives and cheese would be fab!

Babypie oh yea teh guests and my family are accustomed to eating a traditional breakfast of eggs with hot sauce or shakshouka... a VERY spicy hot tomato based sauce in which eggs are cooked. Good stuff!! The zing from the peppers sure as heck wakes you up lol, so this sandwich is milddd in comparison!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

As per the advice given here, sorbet is out, we're going to do fresh squeezed blood orange and grapefruit juice instead, mimosas, and almond croissants. None of us eat ham due to religious reasons but i think turkey bacon and turkey sausages with roasted tomatoes, olives and cheese would be fab!

Babypie oh yea teh guests and my family are accustomed to eating a traditional breakfast of eggs with hot sauce or shakshouka... a VERY spicy hot tomato based sauce in which eggs are cooked. Good stuff!! The zing from the peppers sure as heck wakes you up lol, so this sandwich is milddd in comparison!

Yum!!