Hobo purchase?

JudyDenver

Apr 1, 2010
I bought a beautiful gray medium hobo yesterday at a BV boutique yesterday. I prefer the slouchy look of the large but the SA influenced me to buy the medium. I am 5'6 but super thin with small shoulders. I am looking for a lightweight zippered travel bag and the medium seems perfect

The hobo is definitely too expensive to buy just for a 2 week trip to Europe. Will I be happy with the bag for every day when I am not traveling? I do not need it for work and only carry small basics-- wallet, keys, sun glasses, reading glasses, check book, misc pouch. I think the medium size will be adequate but am I compromising the look?

I bought a beautiful gray medium hobo yesterday at a BV boutique yesterday. I prefer the slouchy look of the large but the SA influenced me to buy the medium. I am 5'6 but super thin with small shoulders. I am looking for a lightweight zippered travel bag and the medium seems perfect

The hobo is definitely too expensive to buy just for a 2 week trip to Europe. Will I be happy with the bag for every day when I am not traveling? I do not need it for work and only carry small basics-- wallet, keys, sun glasses, reading glasses, check book, misc pouch. I think the medium size will be adequate but am I compromising the look?
I buy the medium size in the Veneta. The size works perfectly for me but it seems that most people choose the large. I have never owned a large so I can't speak to that but I find the medium easy to use. When I carry it on my shoulder, I don't bump it into people or things, which I used to do with larger bags. Because I don't bump it into things, the corners stand up to wear very well. When I look at resale bags, it seems to me that the large bags tend to have worn corners. With all that said, the size is a personal decision. If the size bothers you now, I think you should reconsider which size you really prefer. I'm sure the SA was trying to help, but you're the one who will be carrying the bag, so I'd recommend that you get the large IF that is the one you really want.

I liked the feel of the medium when I tried it on better than the large. The slouchy draped large looks great on celebrity photos but it seems unnecessarily large to me. The SA said of all the BV bags she only carries the medium Veneta for travel. I just have concerns about the size after the trip. I certainly don't want to be bumping into things and people. The large would not be a good travel bag for me. My husband laughed when saw the large and said I made the tight choice-- but I never trust his opinion. That's why I posted on this forum to get feedback from those who know. Not having either, it's hard to know

Did you try on the pillow? It's BVs Crossbody and immensely popular. I think it would make a great travel bag and suit you after your trip.

That said, a Veneta is the quintessential BV and you'd get loads of use out of it too.

it is a hard and very individual decision. i have the medium, large and pillow bag and use them all differently. i think if you want one bag for travel and day to day i would say go for the large.
i recently took the medium veneta and pillow bag on a trip and that worked out well. i would have been fine with just the medium veneta.
i don't find i damage the corners of the large veneta. the bag slouches and doesn't seem that wide when filled and carried. i carry very little and the medium is fine but the large just has some extra capacity without adding much weight.
hth-

I agree with Annie, it is a very individual decision. I'm 5'10" with an athletic build (read linebacker) and the large feels just right. Not too big and not too small. Several here have said I should consider the maxi but that seems HUGE to me. Then again, I've always tried on a new one and they're like kites. I'm wondering if that is how the large feels to you.

I'm thinking longevity and wonder what you'll be carrying a few years from now. May I ask how old you are? Kids? Those factors might play into what could work better long term.

Hi,
I have been a BV bag lover for 5 years now and have lurked but never posted.
Just thought I should help as I have been helped so much by reading the tpf BV forum
Why don't you consider the belly veneta. The ends do not get worn as there are no corners so to speak and the medium belly has a little more room than the regular veneta.

Hi,
I have been a BV bag lover for 5 years now and have lurked but never posted.
Just thought I should help as I have been helped so much by reading the tpf BV forum
Why don't you consider the belly veneta. The ends do not get worn as there are no corners so to speak and the medium belly has a little more room than the regular veneta.

Good idea! That being said, I doubt it you'll tire of the medium Veneta. I have to get the large and the reply that said it sticks out behind your shoulder and potentially hits people or things is true. I have to be conscious of the size of it. but the medium is too small for my build.

The pillow cross-body is a terrific bag too. I have one and I've used it a lot more than I expected to.

Did you try on the pillow? It's BVs Crossbody and immensely popular. I think it would make a great travel bag and suit you after your trip.

That said, a Veneta is the quintessential BV and you'd get loads of use out of it too.

I think the medium veneta is small enough to look elegant from day to evening And as Grietje says, Iconic BV. After more than 6 months intermittent use I am very happy with the slouch it has acquired and the way it hugs down from my shoulder. I also feel it is quite a secure bag for travelling.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 404
I think the medium veneta is small enough to look elegant from day to evening And as Grietje says, Iconic BV. After more than 6 months intermittent use I am very happy with the slouch it has acquired and the way it hugs down from my shoulder. I also feel it is quite a secure bag for travelling.
Lovely photo! The scarf on the handle looks great.

My medium veneta hobo arrived 2 days ago. My husband said "well, do you love it?" and I truthfully said, "no". I want to love it but just don't. Maybe it's the shade of gray. It's all wrapped up ready to return.

I'm 5'6", 120 lbs, narrow shoulders.

Does the Belly bag have a larger arm hole than the medium hobo?

Maybe I am a better candidate for the pillow. I noticed on the BV website that pillow does not come in black. How could that be?

Now after reading comments, I'm concerned the narrow strap will dig into my shoulder. If I don't overload it with weight, is it comfortable?

My medium veneta hobo arrived 2 days ago. My husband said "well, do you love it?" and I truthfully said, "no". I want to love it but just don't. Maybe it's the shade of gray. It's all wrapped up ready to return.

Maybe I am a better candidate for the pillow. I noticed on the BV website that pillow does not come in black. How could that be?

Now after reading comments, I'm concerned the narrow strap will dig into my shoulder. If I don't overload it with weight, is it comfortable?

I love the pillow for traveling especially when I need my two hands to carry shopping bags or hold my doggie ;) the strap does not bother me, but I am not the type that carries many things in my pillow bag. I think pillow comes in black because mine is in Ebano.
I also have medium and large venetas and I am only 5 feet. I bought medium if the color is bright like hot pink, red. For my large, I bought them in more neutral color like Nero, Appla or Steel.

I'm pretty sure the pillow comes in black. I think I have seen it on a few department store websites. Also, sometimes the BV boutiques carry more colors than are on the website. If you call a boutique or the website customer service number, they can tell you for sure.

It is a narrower strap, but I don't find it uncomfortable.

I'm pretty sure the pillow comes in black. I think I have seen it on a few department store websites. Also, sometimes the BV boutiques carry more colors than are on the website. If you call a boutique or the website customer service number, they can tell you for sure.

It is a narrower strap, but I don't find it uncomfortable.
Plus, the new styled venetas just arrived in stores. The drop of the strap is longer and that should improve the comfort of wearing it on the shoulder. I posted a couple of pix that were sent to me on the thread about new Veneta style. I had imagined a much different look by the description but now that I see the photos, I don't see a huge change....at least as not as much as I had anticipated.