Hoarders

OMG I'm addicted to these shows, my DH hates them the people make him irrationally angry. The women with the freaking food was too much. I sort of felt like she needed to be hospitalized for her own good. I do feel really bad when kids are involved though. With adults it just makes me want to clean and it makes it easier for me to let go of things. I tend to be a little cluttery, esp. with papers and books, while my DH is a cleaner/organizing type who doesn't have the same emotional issues/guilt about getting rid of stuff.

I finally watched an entire show for the first time last night. It was the one with the older woman who wouldn't get rid of her food and had the rotting pumpkins in her living room. Really, really disturbing!

Except for a couple of junk drawers that we have, I pretty much can't stand clutter and tend not to keep anything. But this morning I was still thinking about this show and I cleaned out one of our junk drawers!

Last edited:
yea. My family is/are semi hoarders. I try to get her to throw or give stuff away. She won't. its very frustrating. I hate going to the house cause everything seems to crowd me. In my own living space I've started to make a point to have clean surfaces and things I don't use stored out of sight and or I just simply throw/ give stuff away

I saw one on A&E the other night of a woman who hoards food. She had a jar of cottege cheese and was showing the camera these little lines down the inside of the jar. She said its the claw marls or soemthing from the bugs inside.

Another family were all hoarders and the young son freaked when he saw his old, ratty playhouse being destroyed. He said even though it was old & broken, he may eventually use it again or save it for when he's older as a memory. Very sad that he is like that at such a young age & his innocent mind are consumed with thoughts like that. I hope all these people can overcome these issues.

I got a little nauseous watching them clean out the food hoarder's house.

I freaked out when I forgot when I bought a cucumber and realized I needed to throw it away. (It was all mushy!)
Now imagine there are people out there who have every nook and cranny as well as a number of fridges and freezers crammed full of food. And when people try to clean it out they argue on why it's necessary to keep something.

I do admit to watching this show. I find it amazing how people hold onto their stuff. I THOUGHT I was a pack rat until I saw this show. Sure, I have a lot of stuff in my closet and bathroom (closet in the bathroom with bath stuff, shower stuff, and makeup is full to the brim!) but I keep a CLEAN house, too! I have a coffee table, a kitchen table, and a dining table with almost nothing on them...

Ok, back to the show... What I find MOST strange is that I think the hoarders have a lower "success rate" than the drug addicts on "intervention"... You know? It's so strange that it's easier (statistically!) to get over drug abuse than it is to get over hoarding! Anyone else notice the same thing?

I watched a couple episodes, but they are too disturbing to me. DH has an aunt who had to be removed by the courts from her home for hoarding and having an unsafe, filthy environment. It makes no sense to me because this woman had a long career and she's very well-off. She's in assisted living now with a guardian watching over her assets. I don't think she ever understood why they made her move.

It's just so sad that people have the compulsion to do this.

i watch this show and i really wish my dh would. he's really bad but thankfully i am not a hoarder so you can walk in my house and not trip or get hurt. my house is clean and well maintained. i like things to have their place. now my basement/garage, well, that's another story and dh has to clean it out every several months (every few months is my breaking point) b/c it can get overwhelming for me. it's not easy.

not to mention we spend a lot of money a month on storage fees & on another mortgage b/c of his problem. our other home can't get sold until he cleans it out and throws out all the crap. so technically our other house is also a storage unit. it's sad, really.

i won't even get into the kind of stuff he saves b/c it's a point of contention between us and i don't want to get worked up. lol

Last edited:
I've never seen the show but I think hoarding is very, very interesting. It doesn't really make sense to me and I feel bad for the individuals who are struggling with it because you can tell it affects their lives. What day is the show on?

When they were showing new episodes they were on Monday at 10 eastern time. But I believe now its all the re-runs. I think there were like 10 or 12 episodes. EDIT: I guess like 7 episodes.