Hoarders

I watched a bit of an episode last night, it was about the one womans whose husband had to be removed from the home because it was so dirty and unsafe. She even had accumulated things outside of the home, there was stuff all over the yard.

Ok. Seriously, who has SEVENTY ONE cats in their house, more than 40 of them DEAD and CANNOT SMELL IT?!?!!?!?? That's some serious mess business. <GAG ME>

This show makes me want to go and clean out my attic. And of course, my attic is n-o-t-h-i-n-g compared to these disasters of a house....

On another note, did anyone else think the guy who didn't clean up his beer bottles or dog hair was faking it? I mean, he didn't need an intervention at all - he just needed a TRASH BAG!!!!!! As soon as he started using a trash bag, it all of a sudden got better.

It must be magic! You clean up, and your house isn't a disaster!!!

I love this show, I think it's fascinating. I need to get a DVR so I can start watching the episodes that I've missed.

I truly feel sorry for the people who are hoarders in the clinical sense, because it's a big problem and hard for families and friends to see.

I've seen this a few times and find it interesting but disturbing. Unbelievable how some people live, must be terrible to have that sickness. On the same channel though, I never see the Obsessive shows anymore. I kind of liked that show better.

I tried watching this last week I think and was only able to watch a few minutes. I can't stand clutter at all. I feel bad for these people though because clearly this is some kind of disorder.

The disorder is clinically specified as an OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder), but hoarding gets into an arena where people keep things that are useless (even to the point of being dangerous) because getting rid of anything causes a heightened anxiety level. It's not that they don't want to get rid of things, they are paralyzed by this disorder and physically can't do it without therapy and sometimes anti-anxiety meds. Of course, there is one step worse where people are in denial about their disorder and feel as if there's nothing wrong with what they are doing.

Gotta get that DVR ...

I watched this once... scary stuff. The next day I obsessively cleaned the house and got rid of any clutter. LOL! My house is pretty neat but I think I'll keep watching it to motivate me to clean more often.

i've recently started recording these. so far i've seen the one with the lady who liked to purchase 'collectibles' and limited edition stuff and had piles and piles of little toys and knick knacks for the 'gifts', the husband and wife with the children and lady hoarding food, and just last night watched the one with the 21 year old living with his alcoholic father and the lady with cats.

the one i loved was the couple with children.. it was great to see that they actually accomplished it... and the guy was able to talk about what he was feeling and got himself through it.

the lady hoarding food...wow.....i had maggots in my house a few weekends ago because i neglected my garbage can for a couple weeks, i caught it right away so it was easy to take care of.. i can not image what was found under her mass of rotten food. and i just wanted to scream at her through the tv that letting all that food rot (waiting till the containers puffed) was just as wasteful, if not more. she didn't want to waste anything, yet she wasted more stuff than any normal person would. yet she couldn't see that.

I felt really bad for the lady with cats. i would have been so po'd if charges would have been pressed against her. she thought she was helping cats. she wasn't intentionally harming them. sad that almost all of the ones she wanted to keep had to be put down. and i could understand her frustration. animal control was telling her she needed to get rid of them but they wouldn't take them. what else was she suppose to do? kick them out on the street?? i'm glad she was willing to get her place cleaned up. and her husband was too cute!

This woman right now is arguing her case on being able to keep a container of chicken broth that expired some time in '08.
The rule for this woman is that she should talk it through. "I don't want you to throw this away." "Why? Talk us through it."

I'm sure the food lady is a very nice person, but watching the cleaning crew clean up all that rotted food is just unpleasant.

I left chicken strips in my fridge for too long and ended up having to throw out not only the chicken but the plastic container it came in.

I watched this episode and I have a gag reflex everytime I think about it! I will never look at pumkins the same again. :yucky: Oh, and my heart just broke for that young family w/3 kids. I loved how the mom at the end was chucking it all. I hope they make it!!