Hitchhiker stories...Got any?

Jan 11, 2010
I personally have never picked up a hitchhiker nor do I have any stories to share. I think Im just to scared to do it. I have thought about it but just cant.I was just wondering if any of you out there have any stories you'd like to share.

I get the heebie jeebies thinking about this. Hitchhiking is DANGEROUS! There are way too many insane people in this world for me to even consider getting a ride from some random person or letting one into my car. Morgan Harrington, the VA Tech student who went missing during a Metallica concert was seen hitchhiking and later found dead on a farm. I know that's morbid, but PLEASE think twice about ever hitchhiking or picking up someone you don't know.

It's not safe. A little common sense can go a long way in this type of situation.

I get the heebie jeebies thinking about this. Hitchhiking is DANGEROUS! There are way too many insane people in this world for me to even consider getting a ride from some random person or letting one into my car. Morgan Harrington, the VA Tech student who went missing during a Metallica concert was seen hitchhiking and later found dead on a farm. I know that's morbid, but PLEASE think twice about ever hitchhiking or picking up someone you don't know.

It's not safe. A little common sense can go a long way in this type of situation.

*I do have common sense. There are two things that have stopped me from picking up a hitchhiker and those are fear and common sense. And I would NEVER get into a strangers car!Just wanted to be clear on that point of mine.Thanks for your comment.:smile:

Ohh, I feel the same was as you both about it. However in some countries it's so common, in Cuba for instance we witnessed it and our guide said it was part of the daily transportation for locals.

I still think it's unsafe either way for a woman to ride with strange men. Even Taxis in some countries are dangerous. When I was abroad local women always told me that articles showed up in the papers where taxi drivers would drive girls out somewhere and they're never seen again.

The danger of hitchhiking, like many other things, is overrated. Common sense does go a long way in figuring out when you are in danger and when YOU ARE NOT. It happens!!

I have picked up a hitchhiker once while driving alone and a pair of traveling kids while driving with my SO.

A number of my friends have hitchhiked at one time or another and there are better and worse ways to go about it.

The danger of hitchhiking, like many other things, is overrated. Common sense does go a long way in figuring out when you are in danger and when YOU ARE NOT. It happens!!

I have picked up a hitchhiker once while driving alone and a pair of traveling kids while driving with my SO.

A number of my friends have hitchhiked at one time or another and there are better and worse ways to go about it.

It is NOT overrated!! Just because you're picking up kids, doesn't mean it's safe! Why do people do this? You're inviting extreme danger into your car (a small place).

I have a horrifying true story that hopefully will prevent you from doing this EVER again:

My DH's father went to college in Pittsburgh, and his friend made a grave mistake of picking up two hitchhikers. Now these hitchhikers were young boys--not old enough to drive--one was around 14 and one was around 10 or 12. Seems harmless right--2 young boys in need of a ride? NOPE--F*@cking wrong! The intent of these boys was to rob him and steal his car. The boy riding in front attacked him to subdue him whilst the boy in the back meant to shoot him in the back of the head--but during the struggle he was shot directly in the face. He survived the shooting, only to be severely paralyzed. He was a smart guy going to school for Pharmacy and this one mistake ruined his abilities...so he didn't make it long--he killed himself a year later.

Sorry for the morbid story, but this is a dangerous thing people.

I didn't say it was not potentially dangerous. I said the danger is overrated. I apologize. I meant to say the danger is overstated. I am sorry about your FIL's friend. However, anecdotal evidence does absolutely nothing for an argument.

I careen onward undeterred.

It is NOT overrated!! Just because you're picking up kids, doesn't mean it's safe! Why do people do this? You're inviting extreme danger into your car (a small place).

I have a horrifying true story that hopefully will prevent you from doing this EVER again:

My DH's father went to college in Pittsburgh, and his friend made a grave mistake of picking up two hitchhikers. Now these hitchhikers were young boys--not old enough to drive--one was around 14 and one was around 10 or 12. Seems harmless right--2 young boys in need of a ride? NOPE--F*@cking wrong! The intent of these boys was to rob him and steal his car. The boy riding in front attacked him to subdue him whilst the boy in the back meant to shoot him in the back of the head--but during the struggle he was shot directly in the face. He survived the shooting, only to be severely paralyzed. He was a smart guy going to school for Pharmacy and this one mistake ruined his abilities...so he didn't make it long--he killed himself a year later.

Sorry for the morbid story, but this is a dangerous thing people.

*Thank you for sharing your story. Im sorry about the loss of your fatherinlaws friend.

You never know who might benefit from a true story like this. So you may end up helping many more people than just this poster. Again thank you very much for sharing...:smile:

I have a feeling you're going to be hard pressed to find a female who's picked up a stranger.

*Just because this is a purse website doesnt mean their arent MEN on here as well. Heck your one! And there was already one woman that posted her story about picking up a stranger. It is probably less likely for a woman to pick up strangers but it does happen.If I had to guess their is probably 90% women and 10% men on this site. Maybe those 10% men have some hitchhiker stories theyd like to share. Thanks for your comment and Ive quite enjoyed most of your past posts.:smile:

*Thank you for your comment. And thank you for your cander in this given thread. All I can say is that you are much braver than I could ever be in that kind of situation. Stay safe and be well.:smile:

Ohh, I feel the same was as you both about it. However in some countries it's so common, in Cuba for instance we witnessed it and our guide said it was part of the daily transportation for locals.

I still think it's unsafe either way for a woman to ride with strange men. Even Taxis in some countries are dangerous. When I was abroad local women always told me that articles showed up in the papers where taxi drivers would drive girls out somewhere and they're never seen again.

Even Taxis in some countries are dangerous. When I was abroad local women always told me that articles showed up in the papers where taxi drivers would drive girls out somewhere and they're never seen again.[/QUOTE]

*Thank you for your comment. And your correct it does happen. Even here in the US.:smile: