Historical question???

papertiger

MOD
Authenticator
O.G.
May 23, 2009
G-orgeous H-eaven
When I called the inside of a bag 'burgundy' I was corrected by a CHANEL SA (manager no less) that the traditional red/brown leather colour inside CHANEL bags was Cocoa - for reasons that are fairly obvious

BUT

I have been told recently by another SA I was right to call it Burgundy because it was 'inspired' by the colour of Madame CC's school uniform

The only people who know more about CHANEL than CC SAs are here.

Which one is the truer?
Does anyone know better?

TIA

finnfan

Jun 28, 2009
Europe
I dont know, but I would like to know whz some classic flaps have that colour insida and others are black inside:?::

shinymagpie

vintage bag lady
Mar 29, 2008
When I called the inside of a bag 'burgundy' I was corrected by a CHANEL SA (manager no less) that the traditional red/brown leather colour inside CHANEL bags was Cocoa - for reasons that are fairly obvious

BUT

I have been told recently by another SA I was right to call it Burgundy because it was 'inspired' by the colour of Madame CC's school uniform

The only people who know more about CHANEL than CC SAs are here.

Which one is the truer?
Does anyone know better?

TIA

Gotta love a history question.

Here's Smoothoprters reference thread where she describes the historical references. The whole early Chanel image is rippling with symbolism. It's one of the things that I like about the brand is that it was started by a woman with strong ideals and a strong connection to life. Everything I have read seems to reinforce that view. Mon's summary is a really concise reference. http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel-reference-library/reference-2-55-vs-classic-flaps-407757.html

Lots of lovely photos to look at too.

I am curious about what the French use for words in eBay france for describing Chanel. Although TPF is an English based website, it doesn't hurt to know the names in the original language of Chanel Products (no offence to the Italians among us, but it did all start in France before she went International.

papertiger

MOD
Authenticator
O.G.
May 23, 2009
G-orgeous H-eaven
Gotta love a history question.

Here's Smoothoprters reference thread where she describes the historical references. The whole early Chanel image is rippling with symbolism. It's one of the things that I like about the brand is that it was started by a woman with strong ideals and a strong connection to life. Everything I have read seems to reinforce that view. Mon's summary is a really concise reference. http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel-reference-library/reference-2-55-vs-classic-flaps-407757.html

Lots of lovely photos to look at too.

I am curious about what the French use for words in eBay france for describing Chanel. Although TPF is an English based website, it doesn't hurt to know the names in the original language of Chanel Products (no offence to the Italians among us, but it did all start in France before she went International.
Thank you so much shinymagpie for pointing out Smoothoprter's thread - it's just a wonderful 'lesson' and the pics are very historically fascinating.
If Smoothoprter is looking in, thank you too.

When I'm back in London I should show you my 1970s CHANEL lamby. The 'red/brown colour is used as a contrast piping, inside, and threaded through the chain. It looks decidedly more brownish than burgundy though.

Thanks to everyone else too. I love the historical referencing in CHANEL. I think we all use little personal refs when we choose our things even if we don't make them. I don't think I would design around my school uniform though. At one school I went to it was royal blue, not a flattering shade on a red head.:P

shinymagpie

vintage bag lady
Mar 29, 2008
Look forward to seeing your 70's bag!

Ok. Well, while we are on history...
we have Automne which translates to Autumn or Fall (depending on what kind of English you speak)
Printemps which translates to Spring

but Cruise? Where does this come from?

As a strictly vintage sort, I am not so familiar with some of the collection terminology.

Can anyone decode all the collection names please?

papertiger

MOD
Authenticator
O.G.
May 23, 2009
G-orgeous H-eaven
Cruise from my understanding comes from a kind of new 'summer' stock in traditional winter times ie when those lucky enough could escape the winter by taking a 'cruise'. Sometimes with other labels it's called 'resort'.