Hiring an Interior Designer

LaGiaconda

Mad for Mad Men
Oct 25, 2008
Hi,

I am interested in hiring and interior designer for my home. I have seen a couple of pictures of an apartment that a designer I am interested in has decorated. She offered to meet with me, but I want to ask you this:

Do you think it is appropriate to ask to see her portfolio, or do you think she might be offended or worse, might think I'm trying to rip off her designs (which I'm not!).

Your opinions are appreciated!

Thanks!:smile:

Definitely ask to see her portfolio. It's basically her resume and you'd never hire someone without seeing that. I worked in design for a couple of years and it would be expected that you'd want to see it.

To get to know an interior designer and their work you have to ask for references. How was the task, how did you implemented? A good designer you will also investigate you by every trick in the book and questioning according to their check list for a personal design plan. To handle the references, you can see how well they are able to do this. So ask politely what ever you need to know and evaluate the answers.

"I know how important your labor is, because people have to live with your work. It's more than a painting, easy to change. Therefor you'll understand that it is essential for me to understand your workings. Please give me an idea what wonderful scenarios you are able to create."