Hijab (Head scarf) and fashion

Samia

O.G.
Feb 5, 2008
I love tpf for a lot of reasons, one of them being that there are so many of us here from different countries and cultures. I thought of starting this thread for those of us who wear a headscarf (Hijab) or anyone else who want ot give tips.
I just started wearing a Hijab, its been 4 months, it was a personal decision. Anyway wearing a Hijab does not only mean covering your head, you have to make some changes in your wardrobe too, I will be brief, basically clothes should not be too form fitting, long sleeves and modest necklines, no short length. I am gradually getting there, no major changes for me though, anyway the most challenging thing for me has been the headscarf itself for the following reasons:

1. Whats the best style for my face, different styles :idea:
2. What color hijabs with clothes I am wearing, or best basics for any wardrobe
3. Buying good quality scarves, this has been the most challenging for me. There are a zillion scarf shops here, but ofcourse like everything else in my wardrobe now (since joining tpf) I wanted some good brands. I bought a couple of Gucci, but they are pretty expensive for me. I have a few LQs but they are too warm (for our weather) and too big in size.:yes:

So what I am asking is basically help me find nice scarves, ideas and how to tie them. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.
Also please feel free to add pics of your outfits with your hijabs, or anything you wish to add on the topic. Thanks
I am adding a few pics here of the styles I like, I am normally wearing it this way:"All pics are taken from the web via image search"

hijab.jpg

These are some other I like but just can't figure out most of them:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Marwa_cover.jpg

hey samia!
this is a great idea indeed. i will surely add some pictures soon...

... as for now i can say i wear a coat style 'burqa', i usually wear the ones i buy from the west such as Zara and Mango- my favs. in the winters...
In the summers i have may be almost 10 or more to choose from. In pakistan we have amazing 'abaya' or 'burqa' tailors so i get them to make the same western styles in lighter cloth. Such as a heavier cotton, pure georgette, a softer kind of georgette called 'Malai' for butter here.

as for scarves ... I love chiffaun for it... i have an insane number of designs.. animal prints, stripes, polkas various sizes, bold prints, colorful ones,
designers ones i have... include moschino, pop corn etc.

all the ones i wear are more than a fair legnth below my knees but not all the way, this is is since i don't wear western clothes and the shirts i wear are almost the same length as my abaya.

... thats alot of info eh? just wanted to share it with someone who understands :smile: - pics will come soon, tc and upload some of ur own soon!

Samia, excellent thread! my hijab is styled today just like the first picture in your second post. it is really easy to do, i just pin the scarf in the back, at the nape of my neck, with one end being longer than the other. then i criss-cross the two ends and drape the longer side arond my neck and bring it back to the front where i pin it to the shorter side. (does that make sense? lol) i pretty much know how to tie all of those styles but i think i would need to show you rather than tell you.

i will try to upload pics soon.

I think this thread is really cool. I lived in a predominantly Muslim part of Africa (~99%) for six months and wore hijab for a lot of my time there, especially during Ramadan. I always liked seeing the neat little details on the conservative dress of other women there and in the Middle East. Looking forward to seeing more posts!

Thanks Amna, Sajda and NoraV.
Sajda, you really have to show me with pics how to do that style!

Amnah, I live in the Middle East, so we do have all the abayas and shailas under the sun here, I guess I just need to find whats right for me. I am also changing my wardrobe gradually.

NoraV, I am looking forward to your input too.

ok ladies a question: I normally always have to wear suits for work and they are usually Jackets & Trousers, and want to know what style will look best, I usaully wear the first style from the pic in the first post, but with the jacket collar and sometimes with the shirt I feel it looks to untidy, I prefer clean looks for work any suggestions?

you can always tie it like the first picture but use a pin to wrap the scarf and secure it around your neck. that way you can tuck it into your shirt and/or jacket collar. another alternative that i have seen some sisters use is to wear a 2 piece hijab, the knit kind, either alone, or with another hijab layered over it and then wrapped around in a bun style. i will try to find a picture. in any case, what you want is something that is snug so that it will look more refined.

Thanks for the tip sajda, please post a pic if you can.

I was also thinking maybe we can put in a few outfits from polyvore.com before we have any pics of our own to post.

Also how do you keep the third one from my first post (Blue one) in place? :confused1:

Last edited:
This is what I wore today, if I get a chance when I go home I will put a real pic in the plus size girls threads:
All other items except the RM Nikki are the closest I could find on polyvore

BQcDAAAAAwoDanBnAAAABC5vdXQKFmtPSF9.jpg