Highend sales associate looking for advice!

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Nordstrom Spring Sale is now live! Serious savings on customer favorites - up to 40% off with free shipping and free returns. Shop the sale!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hi girls,

I have come here to ask for advice. I know that this forum has the best and most fashion passionate members on any forums, so I hope that you can help me out today.

I am a 23 year old male, who have been working in a multibrand store with different mid-range brands (mostly menswear) and lately I have been so fortunate to actually make a job switch.

I am going to be working at a Louis Vuitton flagship store. I don't know which speciality group I am gonna be in yet, but for now I am just gonna be "everywhere" working with bags, shoes, accessories and ready to wear. Womens ONLY.

I feel confident that my passion and dedication will help me doing my job properly, but I promised myself that I would do my absolute best to prepare myself to the beginning of my new life (starting in august)

Do you have any good advice or tips for someone like me, new in luxury retail? You could either be working in the same business as me, or you could be a customer who loves shopping - it doesn't matter to me!

For example: What did a sales associate do, to make you most comfortable? Something that only that person have ever done to you. Or what is something that a sales associate should never say to you? etc.

Thank you ever so much,
    My kindest regards Simone...

Stansy and Summerfriend like this.
  2. Congratulations on your new job! All I can say is in LV when I have been greeted warmly and shown around like I could afford anything in there, it made my day! No looking up and down and judging on apparel, hair, etc. I almost always in jeans. I shopped mostly in Silicon Valley where clothes have nothing to do with money. Treat everyone with respect and you'll do great!

Simoneit likes this.
  3. Thank you chessmont. That is definitely something useful to hear! I will do my best to give everyone the same experience, nomatter if they purchase a bracelet or my most expensive bag. I will not judge anyone!

chessmont likes this.
  4. Two pieces of advice:

1. Be kind
    2. Know the brand- names of models and sizes, upcoming designs and names and upcoming discontinued ifems.

Stansy, papertiger and Simoneit like this.
  5. I have to echo this post. I don't dress up to go to the store. So I may come in wearing my power suit or I may come in wearing a sundress and flip flops. My AmEx charges the same each time. I have had salespeople dismiss me in favor of going to a lady who "looks" the part. I happily go to another SA to complete my purchase.

Also, don't ignore the person on vacation. When I'm with DH and in a good, vacay mood, my wallet flies opens. And if the SA give me good service, I will keep their card and buy over the phone with them for years.

Lastly, get the clients cell phone number or email and every few months or so (say three times a year) send them buying suggestions. I have bought bags, shoes and clothes from SA's who did this for me.

papertiger, kemi and Simoneit like this.
  6. I think you've gotten great advice from the others who posted. In addition to the suggestions to help customers regardless of casual attire, not being local/being on vacation, I'd also add that if you can make it clear that it's OK to browse, it helps a potential customer not to feel pressured to give you a sale when they walk into a high-end store for the first time, or if they are walking in to browse and learn about the company and designs, and they might come back in future to make that big purchase. What I'm trying to say is that a potential customer will remember you and come back!

StylishMe, liznaj and papertiger like this.
  7. Lots of good advice here and a big congratulations

A couple more I can think of

1. Always worth knowing the names of your regulars, their likes/dislikes and keeping in touch for any events or new collections coming in etc. They may not be the biggest spenders in huge splurges but loyalty throughout the years adds up for both parties at the end of the day. It may seem old fashioned but the personal touch is what separates good service and great service.

2. Never say anything looks good on somebody if it clearly it doesn't, you'll lose people's confidence. Likewise, if you like something they're wearing and give a compliment that's absolutely fine, but don't think that everyone needs you to remark on their dress, ring, hair etc, it can seem a bit forward unless it's completely sincere.

3. Nothing should ever be too much trouble, even if it doesn't end in a sale. People come back to places/people they feel comfortable with.

4. Don't be too quick with your card. If people ask for your name or after a substantial transaction or conversation that's fine but if it feels unnatural to you, it will feel strange to the customer

5. If a mother/father/uncle/aunt/gran/husband/wife come in with their son/daughter/etc remember to make contact with both/all parties equally, make whoever's not the chief beneficiary at ease, and never take a side in a dilemma/choice/argument. Friends are a bit different, though you should always be courteous, it's the person who will be doing the buying that you should focus on.

Hope these help a bit, the very best of luck

BlueCherry and Mariapia like this.
  8. I like sales associates that are friendly but not in a fake way. Ones that notify me when things I like are coming into the store, but aren't pushy or use aggressive sales tactics. Ones that know my style and what fits in with it and will keep an eye out for me. I don't like it when they are only nice when I'm spending a certain amount of money or they push things that are very different from anything I would ever buy.

Not being judged on what I am wearing, how old I am, or how I look is a must too.

9. Thank you SO much guys. Incredible
    xx

10. I've worked in luxury retail management throughout university and was able to progress from an SA to management at my first retail position within a month. Some of the most important things I've learned are based on superior customer service which I believe resulted in me achieving top sales month after month.
    - Providing an optimal level of service. Greet everyone who comes into the store, try and make a connection through small talk however if they prefer to browse, let them do so. Just make sure they know you’re there if they have any questions and to freely look around without pressure, while focusing on clients who perhaps require assistance.
    - Treat everyone the same, whether they walk in looking like a glistening million dollars or a disheveled $5 bill. I know of an instance where someone went into a well-known jewelry store dressed extremely casually and was ignored by the doorman, two sales associates, and even a store manager; eventually someone greeted them and the customer ended up dropping over $25k in that one visit and made two more purchases during the week but only with that SA who he continued to shop with until the SA’s departure.
    - This brings me to my next point: customer relationship management is key. When people shop at high-end stores, they expect the superior service that comes along with it, however they should also have the courtesy to treat you with respect. Customers who make my job difficult will get the bare minimum from me, whereas I will always go above and beyond for those who make my job enjoyable. In addition, if someone doesn’t purchase something today, doesn’t mean they never will. therefore it’s important that they remember you and vice versa. Many times customers who were once browsing, come back to me to make their purchases, resulting in a greater client base. Also, it’s important to be honest and to never rush a sale - I’d much rather not make a sale, than drive away a client who is bringing in a return/exchange because it takes up as much of my time as it does theirs. I usually allow a client to take their time making a decision they’re happy with, while providing honest feedback on the quality of the product instead of using aggressive sales tactics.
    - Don’t be afraid to ask questions, whether it is with your manager or co-workers about a product or policy, because you’re somewhat accountable for the information a customer takes away but also with your customers when trying to establish what they are looking for.
    - Be an active listener, especially if the customer is purchasing something as a gift for someone else. They may describe the person’s needs, aesthetic, or features they look for in a bag, so allow them to deliver all the information before providing any solutions. My greatest pet peeve is when I’m unable to communicate my needs with a sales associate and they try to show me something that I’ve explicitly stated I have no interest in.
    These are just my two cents and I’m sure there are many things that could be added. Good luck with your new job and remember a positive attitude makes your job easier and the customer’s experience better!

BlueCherry and chessmont like this.