High Street Handbags : Zara, H&M, Mango...Opinions!

Diorific

Bag'O'saurus
Aug 4, 2008
Hi ladies,

What do you think generally of high street handbags? I am a huge fan of high end brands but sometimes i find that you can get gems in the "normal shops" (pictures to follow!)

I think that Zara do really nice handbags ( got 2 last week) with original designs, and River Island are really good (in the UK :P)

What do you think?

X

I often look at High Street bags actually! The other day when I was in Glasgow I checked out Per Una in Marks and Spencer's. Unfortunately their bags don't seem to be leather. Apart from that they were very nice. The most amazing bag I saw recently was in an Irish chain store called A-Wear. They had a 'Valentino Histoire' bag for around £30. Although I've never seen those IRL, this one looked just like the pics and I recognized it straight away. Jasper Conran also sometimes has some nice bags at Debenham's. High Street bags are not to be sneezed at!

I totally agree, I love high street bags. Now I am wanting much more from a bag and might soon have to start upping my personal limit. Debenhams and Beales stores are ace and the 70 percent off sales are even better. I love my high street Julien Macdonald:heart:, Ri2k:heart: and Liz Claiborne bags but Im noticing my taste is changing.

Yes I am the same! I love high street bags but my taste has become a bit more "refined" (lol). I used to buy non-leathery bags but there is such a difference between the fake leather looking bags and proper leather ones...

But as you can find leather bags in H&M and Zara now as well, it makes it easier to pick a decent bag. :tup:

I bought a "harlequin" bag from River Island (nothing to do with the Miu Miu bag) and it is gorgeous. Although it follows the Miu Miu trend, the design is unique :smile:

I know what you mean as I have just got my 1st leather bag and I love it. The smell, the sensation of touch and I often sit with it on my lap just hugging it. I am trying not to just want leather as some styles of synthetics are brilliant and would be a struggle or not practical to make from leather.:tup:

Thes stores have some great bags sometimes however, you can tell the quality is only really worth the price instantly.....if I found a bag I really liked the style/design of and could see myself using for much longer then a season......I would rather try to find a more better quality version.........however for seasonal bags......these places a great

I love Zara for handbags (and shoes)!

They're very affordable and the designs are cute. I was there a few hours ago and I saw this adorable tote in beautiful leather for only 99€! But it was a bit heavy for me so I passed on this one.

One thing confuses me, designer fashion is supposed to be better quality and longer lasting but like some threads here when fashion dictates the usage of a style, it really cant practically be proven to last longer as its only in constant use for at the most 2 seasons so how can you tell. If I was to splurge mega moolar on a bag, I would keep telling myself it was worth that instead of the fact it is at a higher price to keep the fingers of those that cannot afford off and make it a highly desired product. These shops do sell designer gear, new designers start somewhere and often remember where they begab. Look at Matthew Williamson, he dresses the stars and yet still supplies the high street to make fashion affordable to everyone. High street is definately a force to be reckoned with.

i have 2 awesome bags from Mango (got it at a steal!)...River Island has some nice seasonal ones as well.. i find that high street handbags are not shabby looking at all and very affordable!

One thing confuses me, designer fashion is supposed to be better quality and longer lasting but like some threads here when fashion dictates the usage of a style, it really cant practically be proven to last longer as its only in constant use for at the most 2 seasons so how can you tell. If I was to splurge mega moolar on a bag, I would keep telling myself it was worth that instead of the fact it is at a higher price to keep the fingers of those that cannot afford off and make it a highly desired product. These shops do sell designer gear, new designers start somewhere and often remember where they begab. Look at Matthew Williamson, he dresses the stars and yet still supplies the high street to make fashion affordable to everyone. High street is definately a force to be reckoned with.

Totally agree! It is the same for clothes : Giles Deacon's collection for New Look or even Celia Birtwell for Topshop etc...I always look out for the high street shops, you never know, one day some of their designers might end up designing catwalk items :graucho:

The only thing with high street is that you need to trawl a bit more,like raiding 5 shops before you can find a good bag. Whereas i just need to look at a Prada display to go "OMG i want this " lol :P

So what are your latest finds in terms of high street?

X