High-Mid-Low End Clothing

twiggers

O.G.
May 7, 2006
Was just perusing some blogs and got to thinking about the high-end vs. mid-range v. low-end clothing issue.
What stores (i.e. popular chain stores) & designers would you classify into each:

High End:

Mid-Range:

Low:

High: Gucci, Chanel, Escada, Vuitton, and other couture retailers, plus many of the indie boutiques that carry the up-and-coming (read: pricey) designers, i.e. Phillip Lim, Nanette Lepore, etc.

Mid-High: Arden B, Club Monaco, French Connection, Anthropologie, etc.

Mid: Gap, Bennetton, Ann Taylor Loft, NY & Company, etc.

Low: Charlotte Russe, Forever 21, H&M, Rainbow, etc.

High: Absolutely Those high-end designers Chanel, Gucci, Dior, Balenciaga, Pucci, Cavalli, Dolce & Gabbana, Marc jacobs,Chloe and etc.

Mid: Juicy Couture, Diesel, Pinko, Max&Co,D&G, Marc by arc jacobs

Low: H&M, Primark

High: Like the other posters had already said, designer boutiques; the very high end department stores like Barneys, Neiman Marcus, Saks, etc.

Mid: Off-shoots from high end designers, like McQ by Alexander McQueen or KORS by Michael Kors; LAMB and JLo and the other celebrity lines for the most part; Abercrombie, Bebe, Arden B., etc.; Macys and some Nordstroms

Low: American Eagle, Urban Outfitters, New York & Co, Guess, etc.

Due to a variety of factors related to the way the world does business, the actual gap between high and low end ready-to-wear, mass-produced clothing has narrowed to a close over the last several decades.

Good news for those of us who are poor and/or of a such a very practical nature in attitudes, opinions and beliefs on the subject.

Fortunately for the manufacturers of what is considered the "mid" and "high" end, however, that latter is the exception to the rule, and the fact that the majority continue to buy the dream and not the cream is a real if down-trending in relevance comfort tree as the industry develops strategies to meet the challenges of a changing economic forest!

High: Like the other posters had already said, designer boutiques; the very high end department stores like Barneys, Neiman Marcus, Saks, etc.

Mid: Off-shoots from high end designers, like McQ by Alexander McQueen or KORS by Michael Kors; LAMB and JLo and the other celebrity lines for the most part; Abercrombie, Bebe, Arden B., etc.; Macys and some Nordstroms

I agree with this.

High: Gucci, Chanel, Escada, Vuitton, and other couture retailers, plus many of the indie boutiques that carry the up-and-coming (read: pricey) designers, i.e. Phillip Lim, Nanette Lepore, etc.

I second that list.

Due to a variety of factors related to the way the world does business, the actual gap between high and low end ready-to-wear, mass-produced clothing has narrowed to a close over the last several decades.

Good news for those of us who are poor and/or of a such a very practical nature in attitudes, opinions and beliefs on the subject.

Fortunately for the manufacturers of what is considered the "mid" and "high" end, however, that latter is the exception to the rule, and the fact that the majority continue to buy the dream and not the cream is a real if down-trending in relevance comfort tree as the industry develops strategies to meet the challenges of a changing economic forest!

:lol: I like that

I second/third this one...

In general with production of clothing in general moving to cheaper labor countries like China and companies scrimping on materials to same money, I have seen more of a blur in the low and mid categories. I have also seen many high end pieces that screamed cheap (like $400 polyester).

Really now I just show trying to find quality because I am sick of spending so much money on a throw away wardrobe. Unfortunately spending $100 on a tee from Nordstrom and $400 on cashmere from NM doesn't guarantee a good quality product anymore.

Grouping Abercrombie in with McQ, KORS, Miu Miu, D&G, Marc by Marc Jacobs, and all their friends? Really?

You've got designer, designer offshoots, and mall stores, which is a good division. :smile:

I'd split up your list even further to include the different price levels of mall stores under the same parent brand: Banana Republic vs. Gap vs. Old Navy; Abercrombie vs. Hollister, like that; then include into the Mid range some of the lesser-known designers (e.g. Nanette Lepore) and some of the indie stuff you see at shopbop.com, maybe?

Grouping Abercrombie in with McQ, KORS, Miu Miu, D&G, Marc by Marc Jacobs, and all their friends? Really?

You've got designer, designer offshoots, and mall stores, which is a good division. :smile:

I'd split up your list even further to include the different price levels of mall stores under the same parent brand: Banana Republic vs. Gap vs. Old Navy; Abercrombie vs. Hollister, like that; then include into the Mid range some of the lesser-known designers (e.g. Nanette Lepore) and some of the indie stuff you see at shopbop.com, maybe?

Come to think of it, I'd say I agree with the changes you're saying as well ;)

Yeah, I have to agree with this. Although, I think I would put American Eagle and all the mall stores together in one grouping...

And to be honest, I would put Urban Outfitters above them. Not with M by MJ or anything, but I think they are a step above Abercrombie/Hollister, etc.

To be honest, I think the actual rankings should go more :

High

Mid

Low

Teen

I think that the teen market is a big market and there are good quality brands out there, but they are considered lower than they really are because of the people who buy them.

Just my $0.02.