High End Vegan Bags?

katerina

Mar 17, 2006
So, I'm vegetarian, and haven't bought a leather bag in like five years! Very difficult. Have stuck with Kate Spade, Prada, The Sak, and the great vegan brand Matt&Nat.

Anyway, am now planning my first high-end bag purchase, and am thinking of getting a leather one (probably MJ or Mulberry). They are sooo much nicer, so soft and durable, and cleanable. But am not sure.

Now, Stella McCartney is a vegetarian. And doesn't use any leather in her collections. But I can't find a single bag by her online. Do you know where carries them? I'd really like to check out her bags. Saks? Neimans? Barneys?

Thanks for the help!

good question...yoox.com usually has a few Stella purses, and you might want to cautiously browse ebay...if not to buy, then to get an idea.

you can always get a canvas bag, or Prada nylon, if your convictions end up leading you away from leather!

Most man-made leather bags I hate. Even some of the Matt & Nat fake leather just feels so thick and plastic-y to the touch. I try to stick to the ultrasuede ones. I LOVE untrasuede! Haven't checked out either Sag Harbor or Chinese Laundry. Thanks for the advice guys.

katerina said:
Most man-made leather bags I hate. Even some of the Matt & Nat fake leather just feels so thick and plastic-y to the touch. I try to stick to the ultrasuede ones. I LOVE untrasuede! Haven't checked out either Sag Harbor or Chinese Laundry. Thanks for the advice guys.

Katerina, if you like ultrasuede bags, have you bought Kathy Van Zeeland bags (she uses quite a lot of ultrasuede and faux PVC/leather)?

http://www.ebags.com/kathy_van_zeeland/bling_lily_ultrasuede_hobo/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=56930

what brands carry stylish vegan shoes? Other than street shoes like Converse or Dockers I don't really know that many other ones, especially dressy. I have three pairs of really nice dress shoes that appear to have no leather (I think the straps are faux leather, some material that's not leather for sure).

I have only been vegan since December, so I am torn as well. I continue to wear my leather winter boots and bags because I bought them before I changed my eating habits and lifestyle. I love Kate Spade and Prada. Quite a few Gucci bags also appears leather free. I bought a Bobbi Brown faux snakeskin cosmetic case which I love and have faux fur trim on my coat. True vegans say you shouldn't even wear faux fur because it gives the impression that you are wearing the real thing and it fuels the want for fur if people see you wearing it. I guess because I haven't been vegan for very long I have decided to accept wearing leather bags by designers that do not carry faux because I am torn between my love for fashion and my ethical views. Also, by not eating meat or dairy or eggs I am decreasing the amount of harm I cause to animals, but nothing is perfect so I will accept the bags and wearing clothing that was made in other countries for low wages.

How long have you been a vegetarian? It's better for your body :biggrin:

I've been vegetarian for about 10 years. Not vegan though...do eat dairy. Wouldn't be able to give up cheese.

Though I try not to wear leather, I do have a couple of pairs of leather shoes. I find that it's only non-vegetarians who confront me about this. Veggies (including me) tend to think that being 98% good is better than not even trying. If I buy 2 pairs of leather shoes a year, I'm causing way, way, way less harm to animals than if I ate meat. At least, that's how I justify it to myself.

Anyway, finding vegan shoes that are comfortable is difficult. I like wool/tweed shoes, and stella for adidas sneakers. I've been very disappointed with the styles on sites like www.vegetarianshoesandbags.com and www.mooshoes.com.

Thanks for all the help guys. Have found a couple of funky Stella bags on ebay. Will probably end up getting one of them. What do you think?

Attachments

• StellaBag1.JPG
    StellaBag1.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 5,739
  • StellaBag2.jpg
    StellaBag2.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 5,759
  • StellaBag3.jpg
    StellaBag3.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 5,778
  • StellaBag4.JPG
    StellaBag4.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 5,748
Think I've decided on the khaki Stella bag (on the right) in faux-leather. What do you guys think? I like the "rope" handle and bow, though not sure about the plastic rim at the top.