Hi everyone!!!

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hi ladies, i'm not new on TPF, but I am new to this section of the forum and I just wanted to introduce myself since i can see myself spending alot of time here.

DH and I were married this past March and I went off the pill 3 months ago. Along with going off of the pill, my doctors told me that I should go off of anti-depressents (that I had been on for 15 years)... I weened myself off it's been a little rough. I'm turning 31 in a few days and DH is 35, we are in the process of buying a house... we are definitely ready.

I am still trying to figure out when the O process starts and when the good times for us to try are. I'm an insanely impatient person, so I know that it's going to feel like this process is going to take forever and I'm going to get frustrated each month.

So, I want to thank you girls ahead of time for your support and I want to wish everyone luck. I look forward to getting to know you!!! :flowers:

2. Welcome Milton. Hopefully you're stay here on ttc forum will be a short one; I've unfortunately been going at this for 15 months. A good time to start trying is usually around CD10 and going every other day from then on, usually till CD18-20. Some of the ways to determine when O happens is basal body temping, cervical mucus, and even using an Ovulation Predictor Kit (OPK). Many of the ttc forum members have lots of helpful suggestions, so I am sure you will find a wealth of knowledge and will receive great support from everyone here. Wishing you lots of luck and sticky dust!

3. this is going to be a long response

Welcome Milton

I look forward to getting to know you and hope you are not around too long before moving over to the pregnancy boards. I have been on this journey for just about 2 years, having gotten pregnant and miscarried 2x.

It is probably a good idea to start tracking you cycle to see when you ovulate. A "normal" cycle is 28 days with the first 14 days being The follicular phase (1st day of period until ovulation ) and the second 14 days being the Luteal Phase. Many women do not have a cycle that breaks down exactly like but there are many things that you can do to determine what your cycle is.

A good book to read is Taking Charge of your own Fertility. There is a wealth of knowledge in this book.

If you want to casually try, Purseonable is correct, you should BD (baby dance) starting around day 10 every other day until day 18/20. If you do everyday then the sperm quality tends to deteriorate. If you know exactly when you ovulate you can go every other day until ovulation and the next immediate day in case you ovulated a bit later than you think. The idea behind this method is that sperm can live around 5 days inside of you while an egg can only be fertilized for 24 hours, so there is bound to be healthy sperm still alive when you ovulate.

A great free tool to use is fertilityfriend.com This site allows you to track your cycle and is a great all around tool to use. It allows you to record your basal body temperature everyday, imput data from a OPK/ fertility monitor/ OV watch, track your cervical mucus, record any medication or vitamins you take, moods, symptoms of ovulation/possible pregnancy, and a whole lot more. You do not have to use every feature of the site but it is a good idea to do some of them. Even if you do not want to use this site it is a good idea to at least record your cycle on a calendar somewhere to get an idea of what your body is doing. I personally temp and use a fertility monitor as well as record information as to exercise, drinking, symptoms, and moods.

You can buy ovulation predictor tests pretty cheap online at many sites and on ebay. I suggest the cheap ones at least for the first few months because you will use a lot of them up quickly.

I know this information can be very overwhelming but unfortunately for many women getting pregnant is a bit scientific and needs to be tracked closely in order to get pregnant.

Please feel free to Pm me or ask away here and there is bound to be someone who can answer your questions

4. Purseonable and Coutureinatl, thank you so much for the information. It looks like there is a lot i need to learn (def what all of the initials for everything means for starters!). We've been BD-ing everyother day all month... hopefully something will stick!

I am definitely going to look into fertilityfriend.com. i was at the drug store the other day and was considering getting one of the ovulation monitors, but DH still thinks it's early in the trying and we shouldn't get technical about it yet.

I wish you both the best of luck!

5. regarding excercising, I take spin class 3 times a week... is that ok? I'm trying not to change my routine until we are definitely pregnant, but i don't want to do anything that could impede the process as well...

6. #6 Oct 20, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
    Good Luck Milton! I have been TTC for a year now and these ladies are wonderful and very knowledgeable. I use the OPK's and bd everyday starting around days 6-10 (I'm usually an early ovulator). It worked 2 times but both ended in mc's. I look forward to seeing you on the threads!

7. Exercise is good for you it increases the blood flow and can help you conceive. There are studies that say that during the 2WW ( 2 week wait from time you ovulate until next cycle begins or pregnancy occurs ) that you should not exert yourself too much but if you have been doing the same program for a while and not pushing too hard you should be OK with your current program.

8. Just a quick comment on this: sperm quality doesn't deteriorate if you BD every day. If your DH's sperm count is normal, which you don't know unless you have an analysis done (which I wouldn't do till you've actually been trying a while without success), it will impact the volume of semen, but will have very little impact on the actual count. If it's low, then it's better to hold off for a day in between. We've done IUI (intra-uterine insemination) and are moving on to IVF, and at both clinics, we've been told just to abstain on the day of the procedure, before the procedure. Day before is fair game, and right after the procedure as well. =) If you go more than 5-7 days in between, then actual sperm quality can be impacted, with the sperm being less mobile or having some that have passed their lifespan in there.

9. I'm another big fan of OPKs (ovulation prediction kits) like mpepe mentioned. I originally shelled out the $200 on the clearblue easy fertility monitor, thinking that I wanted the extra notice that it gave me -- it shows high fertility for a few days and then peak fertility right before you ovulate. And it did work for me and get me pregnant, twice. However, I've since learned that I actually get almost the same notice with cheapo ovulation tests, since I get a faint line for 2-3 days before I get the true positive.

My cycles are longish and irregular (30-36 days), so if I didn't use an OPK, I would never know when I ovulated. I have to admit, I'd also probably get tired of being like "OK, let's go hit the sheets" over the course of that long cycle if I had to always start on day 10 and go through like day 22. This keeps it a little more focused.

The other thing that's handy is then you also know how long the different portions of your cycle are. If you do start having problems, your doctor will want to know how long your luteal phase (the part of your cycle after ovulation) is, and that's another one I'd have no idea of without knowing when I ovulated.

10. so happy for you Milton ;)

11. my cousin is trying and she takes spin with me twice a week. she hasn't changed anything in her workout routine. once you find out you're pregnant you can discuss a routine with your doctor or maybe even see a trainer so you can do safer workout with the same effect. but i see plenty of very pregnant women at the gym on the elliptical and treadmill. Consult with your doctor anyway to make sure since everyone is different but you should be ok.