HH magnet and card problems...

Lavidacolor

Collector of things shiny and beautiful
O.G.
Sep 2, 2007
i'm just so annoyed that two of my metrocards have gotten demagnetized! i didnt figure it out until now...first i thought the card was defective, it would work for a few days, and id stick it in the side pocket of my trophy bag, and stop working after that. i didn't put it together until the second card went bad...it was the darned magnets!!

so now i have to keep the metro card in the larger flip pocket. just a warning...be careful with your cards and those HH magnets!

Thanks for the warning! The same thing happened to me on a trip to Europe. By the time I figured it out, I had already argued with the tube manager in London and, out of desperation, jumped the turn style in Paris.

Hopefully Ben and Toni are reading. Perhaps we'll get snaps or zippers in seasons to come.

Yes, magnets can definitely strip your cards--this happened to me with a Coach wristlet (bank cards) and a DKNY wallet. If you keep your cards far enough away, they should be fine, but this is why I'll be trying to return my new Jackson mini wallet. They added a magnet to the snap, and it's right on top of card slots.

Yes, magnets can definitely strip your cards--this happened to me with a Coach wristlet (bank cards) and a DKNY wallet. If you keep your cards far enough away, they should be fine, but this is why I'll be trying to return my new Jackson mini wallet. They added a magnet to the snap, and it's right on top of card slots.
Let us know what they say about the Jackson mini--I'm debating whether to try and return the one I got...I don't want to give it to my sis and wreck her CC's! Woudn't be much of a gift, would it?

^^ I'll let you know; I'll be calling CC Monday or Tuesday. It just looks like the magnets are built into the snap hardware, so I don't think you could fix it.

Last edited:
The only other thing I can think (and I'm not sure I'm game to try it) would be to put cards with strips ONLY on the back side of the Jackson (so there would be two layers of leather between card and magnet) But what else would you use the other side for? Insurance cards, business cards. Sort of defeats the purpose of having a wallet. But I'll look at it again when I get home (on the road this weekend).

Bumping this, I'm very curious how people are finding their HH items with magnetic closures. I know the Emile passcase, Emile indexer wallet, Emile checkbook cover all have magnetic snaps but are designed to carry credit/debit/store cards/etc. They may not be super magnetic, but they are decently strong - I can support the passcase with a key chain that is attracted to the magnet if I hold it gently.

Since I received the passcase with a mark/flaw and am debating an exchange ... I'm beginning to debate a return. Yikes! I'm in love with them, though (have passcase, really wanted to order the other items since I figure I can change what style I use depending on what kind of bag I'm using). Buuut ... if they'll all ruin my cards, what the heck is the point, seems like I'd wind up really wasting my money and giving myself a huge headache if they're really going to be an issue.

Any users want to comment on recent and/or prolonged use of HH magnetic snaps?

Last edited: