Hey Yorkie owners.......

ranskimmie

Jan 25, 2006
Please tell me EVERYTHING you know about the lil' guys. I'm just about to adopt an 8 month old little boy that despretely needs a new mommy.
Seriously I need to know the goods and bads and how you think he would do with Masai my 1.5 year old boxer who is very sweet, gentle and LOVES all dogs(not hyper at all) but she weighs about 45-50 lbs.
Your help is greatly appreciated! Thanks all!!

I don't own yorkies but I do own a boxer and I just wanted to say that my Daisy is really good with my cats. She knows they're smaller than her and she plays accordingly. She does annoy the cats though because she CONSTANTLY wants to play.

We have owned yorkies for years and years--my mom is really into yorkie rescue. They are great little dogs--its so hard to generalize them b/c each one of them have their own personality but in general they are pretty easy to potty train--the smaller the more difficult--but we have used wee wee pads for our tiniest ones. They need to be groomed on a regular basis--my mom grooms ours herself--got too pricey to go to groomer all the time:nogood:. I have since moved out of my parents home and into my own--I decided to get a golden and she is wonderful with the yorkies--Im sure your boxer will be fine--in fact the yorkie will probably boss your boxer around;) Yorkies tend to not have too many health problems but of course this is never a garauntee.
Good luck--if you have any other questions feel free to contact me!!

Hey i have a 5 month old yorkie and she is constantly surprising me with her ability and personality. She is extremely alert and very protective of me and my family and my other dog (maltese) all of whom are older and bigger than her haha. Some advice I would give is definitely to use a harness instead of a collar because it won't put stress on the yorkie's trachea. Also, my yorkie turns into Rambo in front of other dogs even pitbulls and german sheperds that are 50 times her size so you need to be able to just pick her straight up off the sidewalk if she/he decides to rub her nose up in a brawl. lol. Also, she is very independent, unlike my other dog so when she does curl up for some affection its that much more special. Oh yea and some yorkies tend to be barkers, but mine stops after a stern reprimand or two, but sometimes I don't mind because I feel reassured when I'm home alone, she sounds like a wolf on steroids so no potential burglar would want to come in.
Anyway kudos for adopting and let us know how it goes once you get her!

They are such cute little dogs.

My only advice is to perhaps introduce the two of them in 'neutral' territory (like a friend's house) so that you Boxer does not feel 'territorial' at all.

Keep us updated!

So far I havent heard back from the yorkie owner. Not too sure why, I've sent several e-mails. Yesterday they were gung ho, so I sent them several questions of my own. I suppose its somewhat of a waiting game. I'll keep you posted.

I don't have a yorkie, but my friend has a yorkie and a bulldog. They play together and get along great. The yorkie's also played with my tibetan terrier a few times, and they got along great. I would also recommend a harness (if it's a teacup, otherwise you may not need), and definitely introducing the 2 on neutral ground territory. My tibetan terrier gets along just fine with the shihtzu we adopted last year, but they needed to meet in a neutral space fist. Good luck:smile:

i agree with some of the above posters who mentioned that the yorkie will probably be the one to boss the boxer around :P. my yorkie tends ot be very protective of her family, and also has a bark that's much louder than her appearance would indicate. she's a bit of a handful sometimes, but she's so loving and affectionate that i don't even care.

and i definitely agree with getting a harness. try to find one that's soft and meshy (like the puppia ones) as these'll put a lot less pressure on delicate areas and just fit your new dog more comfortably. good luck with everything!

I have a Yorkie, and he loves big dogs. you just have to be careful how little the Yorkie is and their interactions with the bigger dogs. Sometimes they dont' realize how small they are.

they LOVE attention and are definitely lap dogs. My will bogard his way into my lap, but they are also very protective, stubborn and independent.