Hey there fellow LV lovers...

jstreete

. . .
O.G.
Feb 22, 2006
do any of you ladies know how long it takes for the leather on an LV mono to darken. i just got a speedy and i can't wait for the patina to start showing.

Depends on how often you use it and when you use it.

You can 'speedy' up the patina process by tanning your bag. Put it on a surface that gets a lot of sunlight and rotate it every hour to make sure the patina is even.

i see. is it normal for an LV to still have that fresh look after a week or so? i don't think i'll be using it that much yet cuz it's kinda rainy where i live right now. so not much sun around here.

It's definitely normal, especially if you didn't use it much within that week. Patina develops from sun exposure, air exposure, dirt, and oil from your hands so if it isn't used a lot within that week, it isn't getting a lot of exposure to the above mentioned things and therefore takes a bit longer to develop a honey patina. Just be patient (or sunbathe your bag) and soon you'll have a beautiful patina to your liking!

My mom's alma from '96 (if I'm not mistaken) only has a touch of patina and it hasn't even spent a day outside of the dustbag!

jstreete said:
i see. is it normal for an LV to still have that fresh look after a week or so?

Absolutely! It depends on the sun's rays. When I used one of my new bags during the winter (I carried it 15 times so far), the vachetta tanned only slightly. That's because UV rays are not as strong in the winter. Contrast that to the summer when I carried one of my new bags 5 times and it got tanned very quick.

My speedy is almost 1 year old...I use it at least 2 times a week and it has started to patina ever so slightly...it's really have to tell the difference unless you put it next to a new bag.

It takes a while unfortunately. I also prefer the patina.
Mine is about 2-3 weeks old and I carry it all day everyday and it still looks like it did the day I bought it!