Hermes Wishlist Strategy

Feb 19, 2020
Hi! I was wondering if anyone had strategies or tips on creating a wishlist for Hermes. For example, if your list has multiple coveted items in a similar category (especially bags), will you give all the items at once or add on as you receive the first bag. I read that coveted NQB minis are as hard to get as the QBs especially with the demands and current low supplies. Also, read that your SA may think they’ve satisfied you with the coveted NQB and may hold off offering you a QB. If you’re offered a QB first, would it be easier to get the coveted NQB afterwards since it means you have a satisfying pre-spend/profile and have a good relationship with your SA (or just super lucky!). Or would you ask for the NQBs and coveted NQBs, to help with pre-spending (though it looks like some places it doesn’t help with the pre-spend) and to help build your relationship with you SA? It also looks like some wait a while for certain bags, then would you just add every item you want since it might take a long time to receive?

I would love to know how everyone approaches their wishlist!

• Wow
Reactions: lulilu
I guess it really depends on what you want and I assume it will be your first bag from Hermès. For me, the first bag that I placed on my wishlist is a Birkin and I did not ask for any other bags at that time since I really wanted a Birkin. After getting my birkin, I then put in my wishlist for another qb (again, no nqb wishes). But I realize that it maybe a while before I got offered another bag and my SA asked me if I have any other bags that I want. So then I put in my wishlist for a mini nqb (which I was offered pretty quickly).
Since each SA only has a limited number of bags to offer to his or her customers, I personally believe that getting a nqb first will delay the offer of qb as a nqb will also be considered a gesture from your SA.

My experience was a bit different from @Hedgehog101. I asked for two mini NQBs and while waiting for them to come in/be "offered," I asked for a QB as well. They all came in one after another, to the point where my husband said, "Oh boy, I need to chat with our SA to slow things down!" I think being very upfront with my SA helped? I'm not sure, to be honest! We only buy things that we genuinely want, our SA was clear that inventory is still slow, and we are very clear with our SA that we are happy to wait until our wishlist items are available.

My experience was a bit different from @Hedgehog101. I asked for two mini NQBs and while waiting for them to come in/be "offered," I asked for a QB as well. They all came in one after another, to the point where my husband said, "Oh boy, I need to chat with our SA to slow things down!" I think being very upfront with my SA helped? I'm not sure, to be honest! We only buy things that we genuinely want, our SA was clear that inventory is still slow, and we are very clear with our SA that we are happy to wait until our wishlist items are available.
Thats amazing! My local store is very competitive so maybe that's why it's hard to even get a NQB. I am sure in some countries it would be easier to get them one after another. So that might be a factor to consider when deciding whether to ask for NQB first. Also your budget matters.

I try not to overthink this. I don’t really have a wish list per se, but my SA really knows my taste. so, my advice would be there is no hard and fast rule; just be honest with your SA if there are things you really want. Assuming that your purchase history is in order and you are friendly and not annoying, eventually bags will appear!

I forgot to add, if an SA offers you a coveted bag not on your wish list or not to your taste, they would prefer that you refuse it. Your refusal will help them figure out what you want (if you have not already clearly articulated this) and another offer will be forthcoming. In other words, it’s not a disadvantage to your chances to refuse a bag you do not want. :smile:

Re the non qb conundrum, why not ask your SA as every situation is a bit different. Like, my first choice is this QB. But, I think this non QB would be great down the road. Should I wait for my QB or get this now. (Conventional wisdom at H is always to get what is in front of you now, assuming it’s on your wishlist bc it may not be around again soon, but if you really want a specific QB much more, your SA would like to know this).

I try not to overthink this. I don’t really have a wish list per se, but my SA really knows my taste. so, my advice would be there is no hard and fast rule; just be honest with your SA if there are things you really want. Assuming that your purchase history is in order and you are friendly and not annoying, eventually bags will appear!
Thank you! I have to tell myself not to overthink this too. I tend to do that and with all the threads I’ve read, especially the reading room ones, it was a mega information overload.

• Thanks
Reactions: Bereal and 880
I forgot to add, if an SA offers you a coveted bag not on your wish list or not to your taste, they would prefer that you refuse it. Your refusal will help them figure out what you want (if you have not already clearly articulated this) and another offer will be forthcoming. In other words, it’s not a disadvantage to your chances to refuse a bag you do not want. :smile:

Re the non qb conundrum, why not ask your SA as every situation is a bit different. Like, my first choice is this QB. But, I think this non QB would be great down the road. Should I wait for my QB or get this now. (Conventional wisdom at H is always to get what is in front of you now, assuming it’s on your wishlist bc it may not be around again soon, but if you really want a specific QB much more, your SA would like to know this).
True - but I think it’s hard to refuse a bag if you have waited a while for your offer. Somehow you convince yourself it’s perfect for you!

Thank you for the advice! I can see myself getting too excited and loosing sight when I get my first offer. :P

It makes sense! I’ll talk to my SA and see what she says. Hopefully she’ll give me some good insights too.

Reactions: Bereal
Thank you for the advice! I can see myself getting too excited and loosing sight when I get my first offer. :P

It makes sense! I’ll talk to my SA and see what she says. Hopefully she’ll give me some good insights too.
It's a bit nerve-wracking when you get that first offer because you don't want to seem ungrateful if you don't want it, but @880 is right, your SA will find you something better. My SA offered me a beautiful Kelly that I just didn't love and about a month later, he offered me one that was a better fit for me.

I would love to know how everyone approaches their wishlist!

No real strategy. More administrative and indicative of how I prefer to shop.

I have a list of items I would like from H (housewares, leather goods, shoes, etc), and I present the entire list to my SA's. As it gets fulfilled (which is a challenge during these times), I discuss my list again, which may have changes to it. If something I've requested becomes available, I take it. I also have quota bags on this list, but only in the most general sense, as I'm happy to be presented unexpected offers.

IMHO, if you over analyze shopping at H and make purchases based on a 'strategy,' SA's can see right through that and you may find yourself in a position where they always dangle that B/K/C carrot, IF you spend more (plenty of those stories on this forum).

We truly don't know the inner workings of H boutiques and how SA/SM's allocate, and with the current shortages, there is definitely no guarantee you'll get, for example, a Picotin 18 before a B30 (if that was your desired sequence).

It's a bit nerve-wracking when you get that first offer because you don't want to seem ungrateful if you don't want it, but @880 is right, your SA will find you something better. My SA offered me a beautiful Kelly that I just didn't love and about a month later, he offered me one that was a better fit for me.
It is so nerve-wracking to refuse an offer! My SA knows exactly what I want and has said that she will get it for me but is obviously as frustrated by the continued low stock as I am. She offered me a beautiful B35 Fray Fray which happened to work so well with the outfit I was wearing that day and had I already received the bag I wanted I might have said yes…but it simply wasn’t the right first QB. I’m pretty sure she was not offended at all…as @880 noted, it simply helped her get a better sense of my taste. I have my fingers crossed that by being clear and honest about my wishlist, my SA will offer me my dream bag when it becomes available. Good luck @peppermint_tea !