Hermes Wallet v.s Louis Vuitton Wallet

NYCity

Jul 28, 2010
Recently i have wanting to purchase a new wallet
i have my eye on Kelly wallet gold epsom(classic and durable) and just the ordianry monogram sarah long wallet...

its hard to decided because the price of the H wallet is 3 times more than the LV wallet... and a wallet gets abused everyday i was wondering to myself is it wise to spend almost 3000 dollars on a wallet... (any one who has a kelly or any H SLG share ur thoughts)

LV wallet is more affordable but the lousy logo is a big cross for me... and the rough canvas feeling in hand in less satisfy than the intricate feeling of epsom leather...

i cant make up my mind its a tough one.... but if i do end up getting the kelly wallet that means i cant buy another wallet for myb next 8 yrs hahahah this thought scares me ;p ...

Hello NY, I completely understand your decision and faced it a year ago. I have always loved LV wallets and have used them for most of my life, but when I got my first Birkin, I wanted to get a Hermes wallet too. But after looking and thinking, I decided that I would rather have the large LV wallet for $800.00 AND buy a few CDC's for the money an "entry level" H wallet costs. But maybe, unlike you, I love the monogram LV wallet and damier is fabulous too. Also, the LV wallets hold up so well but I'm sure H does too??? We all have our own obsessions though. I love my LV wallet and am thrilled to carry her in my birkin but I would never own an Hermes wallet and carry her in an Monogram LV bag...go figure...good luck with a fun decision!

Hi. I had to send my Dogon Combined to the spa and purchased an epi Sarah to use for the duration. I had it monogrammed. I also have an epi koala that I used for several years before I got the Dogon. I love it, but I really love my LV wallets, too. They never look used at all. So, you might consider an epi wallet.
As far as SLGs, I have the togo Dogo, a chevre nubuc Vision agenda. They will last forever with the proper care. I don't think the LV epi or any other LV leather can be destroyed.
Go for the LV leather... just my opinion.

I have an LV Epi wallet, it's years old and, yup, "wear like iron" is a good way of putting it.

This perspective is different from yours because I'm a guy... but I owned a LV Taiga wallet in dark green and carried it in my back pocket and it lasted 15 years, which I think it is amazing.

At around the same time I bought an Hermes courchevel (now epsom) wallet and it was sooo expensive that I have barely used it in the last 15 years and I am still afraid to enjoy it for fear of damaging it.

So in summary, I would invest in an Hermes bag but not an Hermes wallet!

When it comes to LV's logo, I guess I'm not as sensitive about the issue because it's really part of the company's heritage and not something they created to join the crowd (like Coach did eventually). I carried my LV wallet for 18 years before I switched to others, and it really did wear like iron. When I wanted the larger version of this same wallet, I was disappointed to see that instead of leather in the change section, it was lined with a rather thin plastic. I think LV can make some amazing items, but I'm going to be very selective if I purchase anything else in the future.

Back in 2002, the Hermes wallets were round $750, and that tells you just how insanely priced they really are in 2011. I'm much happier carrying a Calvi for my cards, and another nearly-weightless wallet with a single section or card case for bills (if it can take them folded in half that is). I really don't need the weight of the usual wallet hanging off my shoulder, and anything I can do to lighten the load is considered a good thing.

Happy shopping though!!!!!

I have the H kelly wallet... and LV wallets.. and Chanel.. and Gucci.. and I have to say, completely unbiased.. hands down, H is the best. Longer durability, better quality, looks better (in my opinion), everything.. the H kelly is HUGE and carries everything, has room for everything, is gorgeous, chic and durable..I am completely in love!

I used to carry the LV and Chanel wallets. Once I found the Kelly Longue wallet, I was hooked. I agree with Chanel*Liz...it holds everything, is a classic, doesn't look like any other wallet and can also be carried as a small clutch. I now own it in chevre mysore and croc and and as soon as I can get my hands on another, it's MINE!

I have the H kelly wallet... and LV wallets.. and Chanel.. and Gucci.. and I have to say, completely unbiased.. hands down, H is the best. Longer durability, better quality, looks better (in my opinion), everything.. the H kelly is HUGE and carries everything, has room for everything, is gorgeous, chic and durable..I am completely in love!

I'm in the same boat. Have the LVs, chanel and prada, but nothing beats the leather on my bearn wallet. It's so smooth and soft and I use it everyday, while the others sit in my drawers.
This is like the cheap knife philosophy. Cheap knives become more expensive in the long run because you're always replacing them when they become dull or they rust. So invest in something you really want, even though it's pricier than the 2nd choice.
Again, hermes hands down.

• Love
Reactions: celine666666
Perhaps you could consider all the other H wallets before making a decision; Azap, Dogon, Bearn all excellent, more practical than Kelly Wallet. If you are looking at LV I agree with others, Epi Leather is the only way to go.