Hermes Vintage Bag Nightmares & Hermes Leather Care

Status
Not open for further replies.
i've got a 50 yrs old brown box kelly that has some cracks on the top flap and sides where the foldings are. i inspected them thoroughly just now and they're less than 0.5mm deep. my bag just came back from spa a few days ago and looks/feels much better than when i first received her.

however, i'm wondering what i'd need to do next to prevent the cracking from getting worse. and if i can "pamper" her myself without having to send her away for 3 months every now and then. i've tried meltonian before i decided to send her to spa a few months ago and it did help a little, but i'm open to any advice in looking after box leather.

OK Here's what I would do see if she will absorb Blackrocks..thru the stuff Hermes put on top of the leather...I think it will be covered with Meltonian and then have been buffed, if this is the case use the blackrocks and lift off as much of the colored topping that has been placed on the leather's normal skin..just the brown polish that Hermes put on it..next if you have a clean surface now keep treating her with blackrocks..as many times as she can absorb it may be 5-7 treatments..next use the Obenauf's keeping the bag warm and the Obenauf's warm and liquidy you may need to warm it in the microwave..give her at least 2 treatments... this should help keep her from getting worse. Finally buff her out and use a matching colored Meltonian cream all over and buff...she should be good to go.:tup:

hi Docride ....I have a beautiful AND RARE 40CM BARRENIA ...( got it from my DEAR MUM....:P )
I ADORE IT ...BUT I NEVER WORE IT:crybaby:....my mum used only twice and of course got scratched just with the look!!!!! SO I'm keeping it as a ''reliquia ''
WHAT CAN I DO .....THE CONDITION OF THE BAG IS AMAZING .
NO YET THE CASE TO TAKE BACK TO HERMES .....HAHAHAAAAA
OF COURSE IT WAS NEVER USEd!!!! there is nothing to do AT HOME for the few marks????
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP......:heart::tup:
angel:flowers:

Rx; Old Barenia

Wow what a stunner you really should use her! Your bag may be quite dry even though it hasn't been used... the marks will not go away it is the nature of th Barenia and is considered part of the desired patina so no worries..check your bag over..and see if it's quite dry>> it will feel stiff and the straps will not yield to a gentle bend or u turn...Tell me what it is like?? And I will get back to you:yes:

Docride, you have great wisdom in the care of leather. What about aged courcheval?

Rx; Aged Courcheval
Courcheval is tough stuff...and really nice as well.If the surface is not lost in spots>>>
I would use Blackrocks 4 treatments till supple and then buff the heck out of it...then if you have color loss you may want to use melonian in a matched shade then buff again...Should do the trick:tup: If not come on back...

thanks, docride....i'm going to search on google tomorrow on where to purchase the products. should i do this immediately or wait for a few months (before winter), since the summer in montreal is very humid and the bag just came back from spa?

what treatments would you recommend for box leather and chamonix leather bags that are about 10 years old? at the moment, i've used meltonian on them and the leather on both bags are in good conditon (supple, not dry, and no cracks whatsoever). but i'd love to know how to look after them to prevent the drying from ever happening at all. would meltonian every 6 months be sufficient? i don't want to end up over-conditioning the bags either.

Last edited:
Weather proofing you bag do's and don'ts

Do use wax based products carnuba wax based are good I like Obenauf's LP Heavy Duty best of all..( it will also resist mildew and molds) Do make sure you have conditioned your bag well first before applying this product you want it to seal in the condtioner.

docride, thank you so much for sharing your expertise!
A couple of months ago I followed your advice and used Obenauf's LP on my box riding boots. Now, instead of worrying if it will rain when I wear them (ain't life too short for that?), I can enjoy them and send you a mental bouquet if the weather's wet!:flowers:

Always use common sence..test a small area in a hidden spot to make sure your leather will look good with the product.

Spongey and very soft handed leathers are best not treated with blackrocks...Swift on accessories may darken some what..so test first. DO NOT TREAT Napped leathers with any of these products ....

Wow, this is so helpful... thank you so much for sharing your wisdom. How did you learn so much about caring for leather? Was it trial and error? This is amazing, and I really can't wait to see the step-by-step tutorial.. aged box leather is gorgeous :heart:

Rx; Old Barenia

Wow what a stunner you really should use her! Your bag may be quite dry even though it hasn't been used... the marks will not go away it is the nature of th Barenia and is considered part of the desired patina so no worries..check your bag over..and see if it's quite dry>> it will feel stiff and the straps will not yield to a gentle bend or u turn...Tell me what it is like?? And I will get back to you:yes:
THANK YOU DOCRIDE ...I'LL POST YOU SOME PICS AS SOON BACK HOME AND LET YOU KNOW IF THE LEATHER IS QUITE DRY......
THANK YOU SO MUCH:tup::heart:

Wow, this is so helpful... thank you so much for sharing your wisdom. How did you learn so much about caring for leather? Was it trial and error? This is amazing, and I really can't wait to see the step-by-step tutorial.. aged box leather is gorgeous :heart:

Hello I have years (over 30 Yrs) of experience ;working with hides (from raw hair and flesh on stage thru the tanning process (Elk,Moose,Deer), restoring Anitque Saddles (many over 100 years old),Harness, Vintage handbags, turn of the century boots and shoes.
I have learned a geat deal from saddle makers, Cowboys and old time leathermen.
I just kept seeing the same questions popping up here on the forum and I though a basic home guide might help everyone as a reference.
Oil Dye-ing, color changing and color restoration I can include if people want to know about how it's done...however, I would leave this sort of work or those with experience...and do so only at your own risk...:smile:

Reactions: fishbaby89
Status
Not open for further replies.