Hermes veau jonathan versus swift

Hi All,

I've been trying to find exact difference between veau jonathan and swift, but haven't found a lot of information yet (also read through various threads here on each).

My understanding so far is that they are very similar, but veau jonathan seems to be a little bit more structured. This may be because of goatskin lining - but I also read somewhere that this is "embossed" leather - so is it processed like Epsom?

I am planning to get my first Birkin and I had pretty much narrowed it down to Swift. But now I'm torn between these two. However, I don't want to get Epsom like hotstamped leather, so I just want to understand more about Veau Jonathan.

I have Birkin in both jonathan and swift..
Jonathan skin is sturdier whilst soft and buttery whereas swift feels quite thinner and feels more fragile when you touch it.. and it looks like it can slouch easier too..
I personally prefer Jonathan to Swift but I still love my swift B too
How easily does Veau Jonathan scratch in comparison to Swift? I have a bag in Swift and sometimes I feel that I just have to look at it and it scratches - not as bad as with box but it's one bag that I baby.

Hi everyone,
does anybody know the pro and cons about veau jonathan in comparison to swift? Is there a price dif between these two?
Thinking about a bag in beige de weimar and this color seems to only appear in veau jonathan. Does anybody seen beige de weimar in togo or swift?
Would really appreciate help :smile:

How easily does Veau Jonathan scratch in comparison to Swift? I have a bag in Swift and sometimes I feel that I just have to look at it and it scratches - not as bad as with box but it's one bag that I baby.
Hello. I have a jonathan b25 now for over 2 years. She’s been caught in the rain and I’ve ran in to a bush and tree branch with her. I’m clumsy =\ but she has no scratches or stains. She looks pretty much brand new the day I got her! I love the leather since it feels a little more sturdy than swift but still has all those good qualities! I hope that helps!

Hello. I have a jonathan b25 now for over 2 years. She’s been caught in the rain and I’ve ran in to a bush and tree branch with her. I’m clumsy =\ but she has no scratches or stains. She looks pretty much brand new the day I got her! I love the leather since it feels a little more sturdy than swift but still has all those good qualities! I hope that helps!
May I know which color do you have? I just got a B25 with Veau Jonathan and would love to hear from the owners of bags with this leather. Thanks.

Jonathan leather is quite structured but is a delicate leather. It scratches pretty easily IMO especially in a dark colour. That being said if you like smooth leather I think it is a nice leather to have in your collection. I would buy another Jonathan leather bag.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helventara
May I know which color do you have? I just got a B25 with Veau Jonathan and would love to hear from the owners of bags with this leather. Thanks.
I have the color vert tropical. It doesn’t seem like a common color. Its a dark green. I still haven’t noticed any scratches, slouching or noticeable wear on my b25. By that count too though, I have a swift jige and KC that I use fairly frequently and I also have not noticed any scratches either…. that being said, I know swift gets softer over time so I probably would opt for another leather in a B or K personally.