Hermes Skincare & Makeup

I don't think they can bring anything new to the table.
I think that’s key here. What will they produce that is not available at comparable quality for a much lower price? I hope they plan to really innovate! Will they enter the market at La Prairie prices?

And will this launch really bring a new slate of consumers? As someone with limited funds, I would rather save money and buy a scarf, pair of shoes, or an SLG that I can keep for years than spend money on expensive skincare that will be all used up within a couple of months.

This is exciting though, for the packaging alone! :biggrin:

I don't like this at all. I've always appreciated that H was more discretionary about what they would put their name on - no sunglasses, no other crap. If they want to pick up the lower end market, why not expand SLGs? It reminds of when Tiffany went all in with sterling and you saw it on every high schooler who could save her babysitting money.

I'll just say it, I love that H is still fairly exclusive. It reminds me of how hard I had to work to be able to afford it now.

+1

I’m a major lip balm junkie so if Hermès makes one with a cute packaging, sign me up!

Also, if Hermés were to make sunglasses (which they SHOULD!!)) I’m sure they would not outsource to other companies and keep it in house. It would be more expensive but I’m sure they’d do a great job, just like how they do with everything else.

Skincare and makeup also seems like a cheaper way to build purchase history to get that B or K. So I think it may work in favor for some folks.

The first thing I immediately thought was glass and leather packaging, some of the pallets arranged like scarf patterns....and the thought of menthe, rose scheherazade, and blue electric nail polish.... it will be interesting to see where this goes! I think that H has done beautiful fragrances, so I would expect them to put every bit of research, formulation, and design into this!

Very excited to see what they come up with. The ethos of the company is all about elevating everyday items to works of art. I love my silk n wallet and I d never thought I’d be willing to spend that much on a wallet with fancy lining before. Same with the tea set, so beautiful. Bath products ? They already do those and smell just exquisite- what’s not to like?

It just seems to me that their aesthetic surrounds natural beauty, elegant understated looks and horses.

I don’t see how any of that marries comfortably with a line of make up that includes the introduction of enough new shades to keep it viable. There are only so many neutral lipsticks or eye shadow palettes you can make. And bold or bright colours do not seem to fit in.

Mind you, they make over the knee red boots so really, what do I know...

imagine you are in FSH, awaiting anxiously the leather SA come back with your ultimate Holy Grail; that 10-15 mins will be best for the cosmetic SA to sell you the season’s hottest lipstick color or nail color

I am not thrilled about Hermes launching skincare and makeup, but if they offer nail polish that matches the color of their handbags, then I am in trouble!

I completely agree with you. Hermes is now run by the MBA generation and it’s already visible with poor quality control on leathers that I have experienced for the first time in 25 years as a customer.

I also experienced poor quality control items recently and am very disappointed. I really wish they would stick with their heritage, and focus on the skills, quality of products, and the solid craftsmanship that they were so proud of before.

Let other brands have their own cosmetic lines, Hermes doesn’t need to put their name on one.

Having mulled this over more, I can see it working if they focus on refillable packaging as others mentioned: chic leather or metal palettes, bottles, and travel-size options. I doubt I'll be inclined to change products beyond trying an eyeshadow here and there. There isn't too much they can add to the market regarding that'll justify the price tag otherwise.

That said, after having tossed my full bottle of sunscreen into my bag earlier this weekend, I wouldn't mind having a leather travel bottle to tuck into my purse, similar to their travel fragrances.