Hermes throughout the ages

Has an amazing article on the house of Hermes! I was already a big fan, but not I see that my money is very well spent on this coveted line. Buy the Wall Street journal this weekend and read it!!! TRUST:smile:

Thank you for all those information.
But I have a question to ask about Hermes hardware.
I realised that on the buckle of a birkin or kelly,
there are some words "Hermes Paris" on the buckle.
However, I have seen some buckles have a small-squared sign after the words, and some do not.
What does the sign mean??

Appreciate your research. The information you posted helped a lot regarding vintage Hermes items. Thanks!!

Since so many questions have been popping up recently regarding vintage Hermes items. I've compiled a few tidbits regarding markings and labels of vintage Hermes.

Hermes labels throughout the years. Please scroll down the page to find the Hermes listings:
http://www.vintagefashionguild.org/labels.php?page=H&mode=search
Thanks for you post...great information!!

Hermes stamps:
This stamp appeared on bags approximately before 1959 (please don't quote me on this as I've encountered conflicting reports as to the exact year)

This stamp appeared after the previous label was retired and was used until approximately 1970:

The current stamp (Please note this is natural stamp and appears on some leathers such as chamonix, vache natural, and in this case peau porc lisse. It is usually done to match the hardware):

H zipperstop (First appeared in 2001 and not found in all bags):

Hermes zippers:
From a bag purchased in 1960:

From bag made in 1979:

From bag made in 1992:

Current year:

we are trying to date of this hermes bag we bought from an auction that would ordinarily sell fine art etc. occaisionally they have some "off the wall" items that get thrown in. this is one of them.

it has the early 24 f@st honore stamp ( ignore the @ sign as thats the closests i got) as you describe. it is primarily a bag/ purse with a fastener not zip. main body measures approx 7inchs long and 6inches high. it has three compartments it is made from crocodile skin . it also has an original matching leather backed make up mirror and a matching leather powdering pouch.
i have to admit its an absolute thing of beauty.

after i had bought it i was approached by the person who actaully put the bag in the auction while i was leaving.she said that it was part of her late mothers contents . the initals on the bag and on the powdering pouch where her mothers. dont know why she said it but she had told me that it was one of two only made and the other one is in the Hermes museum in paris. it makes want to fly there tomorrow.! she had also told me that when she had enquired with hermes about dating the bag for herself prior to the auction they had wanted to purchase the small make up mirror and powdering pouch.

pretty unbelieveble you think but it happened!. it was all very quick and will try to get intouch with her soon. so intriguing!

if anyone can help then please do.

it is beautiful !

Attachments

• heremes crop 2.jpg
    heremes crop 2.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 2,176
Last edited by a moderator:
Since so many questions have been popping up recently regarding vintage Hermes items. I've compiled a few tidbits regarding markings and labels of vintage Hermes.

Hermes labels throughout the years. Please scroll down the page to find the Hermes listings:
http://www.vintagefashionguild.org/labels.php?page=H&mode=search

Hermes stamps:
This stamp appeared on bags approximately before 1959 (please don't quote me on this as I've encountered conflicting reports as to the exact year)

This stamp appeared after the previous label was retired and was used until approximately 1970:

The current stamp (Please note this is natural stamp and appears on some leathers such as chamonix, vache natural, and in this case peau porc lisse. It is usually done to match the hardware):

H zipperstop (First appeared in 2001 and not found in all bags):

Hermes zippers:
From a bag purchased in 1960:

From bag made in 1979:

From bag made in 1992:

Current year:
Great idea! that s a reallly good source of info!

One of my friends has a vintage Kelly bag (late 50s-early 60s) with no zipper on the inside pocket at all. I believe the bag is 100% authentic, but has anyone else ever encountered this?

Hi all ,

For vintage Constance zip,other than eclair ,is there another zip name OPTI?
Came across one and the collector says its from hermes Paris and bought in 1988(heatstamp : ®)
Did your came across such zip before?