Hermes... The bags you are not allowed to buy!!

That was a funny read! I´ve always wondered why, if all someone wants is one bag, would any self-respecting person put themselves through the patronizing-disdainful routine of some (not all!) H shops. Sheer masochism? Because the fabled "boutique experience" is nothing to write home about, at least in the H shops in Vienna, Salzburg, Prague and Milan.

Whereas ANYONE, literally anyone, can peruse reliable consignment shops and get an original H in mint condition (and probably choose from a variety, something that isn´t always true of H boutiques) for one-third to half the original price. So the bit about a H bag increasing its value the moment it leaves the shop isn´t true, either.

Also, exclusivity? H has so many shops and counters everywhere, it feels almost as familiar as LV and Gucci now. You want exclusivity and custom order, drop by Launer, Delvaux, Charles et Charlus, and many others who really have two or three shops, tops, in all the world.

Where is this located? Definitely not K or B's or I will go and buy them all! :roflmfao: and if they are K or B... they must be fake because the right Hermes bag is better than real estate baby!

Yeah, the line about "a better investment than stocks and bonds" was not exactly correct, though Hermes bags do hold their value better than "it" bags.
I also laughed at the writer's bemused observation that she actually felt grateful to be offered the opportunity to spend 7000 pounds on a bag! I recognized that feeling, as absurd as it most certainly is. I do believe that the most sought-after H bags are still difficult to produce and generally better made than most handbags out there, but the idea that one is "privileged" to be offered one is no more nor less than a brilliant marketing strategy.

Hmm.
I was shown bags on 1st visit to hermes store.
Did not ask to see them. Did not really want b or k--not my fave style.
Just had nice conversation. Sa was extremely polite.
And bags entered in.

I think the French/EU way of going about things comes into play.
Rather than direct, crisp, to the point American way.
Investing some time is polite.

However, I don't buy what I don't want.
And I remember sa is a salesperson.
The manipulation games, I won't play.
Chanel didn't try them, either--maybe I have a particular eye glint, or something?

Where is this located? Definitely not K or B's or I will go and buy them all! :roflmfao: and if they are K or B... they must be fake because the right Hermes bag is better than real estate baby!

IF you took the words right out of my mouth!!! I wanna know where that reseller is too!!!

I bet H corporate loves the PR value of this article. It's priceless.

This is what h want
Their marketing strategies
Exclusivity and image
The right profile customers

H is a great business model. They have an extremely sophisticated clientele. Their customers shop the world and cash flow is not an issue. I believe that is their target market.

Everyone else adds to the gross income which allows Hermes to really be a luxury brand on basically there own terms. Love their art collaborations and investment in traditional artisans when the company moved into new countries. There are numerous special projects that are sometimes mentioned here.

There're is so much that is good and very very special about Hermes but it doesn't mean I'm going to buy trinkets I don't particularly want or like just to make a purchase. I now know it won't get me the item I want if our local store doesn't get it in a shipment.

I know it would make for a less interesting article but if just one of these ladies had walked in and asked some questions about the brand, craftsmanship etc BEFORE launching into the question they might have had a different outcome.

I have never had to ask for a bag and I get offers all the time, I don't buy crazy things and I'm just a nice, enthusiastic client who also works in high end customer service so I have a bit of empathy for the day to day lives of the SAs. I've only ever encounter condescending SAs in other stores and that was when I was asking about bracelets so go figure.

I think the only store in the world I would feel comfortable blurting out a bag request is FSH because that's where you're "supposed" to do it.

PS I would also like to know where one can buy mint condition bags for a 1/3 of the retail price because what I see is more like double the retail price.

Hmm.
I was shown bags on 1st visit to hermes store.
Did not ask to see them. Did not really want b or k--not my fave style.
Just had nice conversation. Sa was extremely polite.
And bags entered in.

I think the French/EU way of going about things comes into play.
Rather than direct, crisp, to the point American way.
Investing some time is polite.

However, I don't buy what I don't want.
And I remember sa is a salesperson.
The manipulation games, I won't play.
Chanel didn't try them, either--maybe I have a particular eye glint, or something?

I think these are very wise words. Being kind goes a LOOOOOONG way. I'm never fake about it... I love all things H and take time to know about the product and the SA behind the counter.

...And a little eye glint helps too ;)

It is undoubtedly true that knowledge and/or curiosity about the brand can be a vault-opener at Hermes, but it is also true that such behavior is unnecessary at pretty much any other retailer on the planet, where providing you with the items you wish to purchase is considered a fundamental purpose of the boutique (though yes, there are most definitely cultural differences at play here, too). Therefore, while I admit that I have obtained my bags largely by observing the rules of le système Hermes, it is understandable that most people, familiar only with the non-Hermes world, would find their approach. . . unusual.

It is undoubtedly true that knowledge and/or curiosity about the brand can be a vault-opener at Hermes, but it is also true that such behavior is unnecessary at pretty much any other retailer on the planet, where providing you with the items you wish to purchase is considered a fundamental purpose of the boutique (though yes, there are most definitely cultural differences at play here, too). Therefore, while I admit that I have obtained my bags largely by observing the rules of le système Hermes, it is understandable that most people, familiar only with the non-Hermes world, would find their approach. . . unusual.

When I try to explain this to family or friends.... this is the reaction I get :wtf:
I have learned to just stop talking and do MY thang.