Hermes Sydney Loafer vs Gucci Horsebit 1953?

Male trying to decide between either of these shoes. Which one of these would be considered 'nicer'? I'd guess Hermes but I've heard (though not confirmed) that Gucci is premier in men's leather? I admit I kind of prefer the Gucci design but am not afraid to say I am still interested in which the 'nicer' of the two are?

Hermes Sydney
https://www.hermes.com/us/en/product/sydney-loafer-H182318ZA4C410/

Gucci Horsebit
https://www.gucci.com/us/en/pr/men/...MFqruZMnNmYSW0Klu9dKdLyI0NC_1B34aAtVMEALw_wcB

Male trying to decide between either of these shoes. Which one of these would be considered 'nicer'? I'd guess Hermes but I've heard (though not confirmed) that Gucci is premier in men's leather? I admit I kind of prefer the Gucci design but am not afraid to say I am still interested in which the 'nicer' of the two are?

Hermes Sydney
https://www.hermes.com/us/en/product/sydney-loafer-H182318ZA4C410/

Gucci Horsebit
https://www.gucci.com/us/en/pr/men/...MFqruZMnNmYSW0Klu9dKdLyI0NC_1B34aAtVMEALw_wcB
Gucci link doesn’t work but it doesn’t matter. We all know the shoe. IMO the look is virtually the same so I’d choose on fit/comfort. Chances are that one will fit you better than the other so go with the better fit as the look is pretty much the same. If resale value is important to you for down the road, IMO the Hermès will retain better value assuming you take care of your footwear,

BTW, I love Gucci and just bought a new pair of their sneaks last week, but I personally will always put Hermès at the very top of the luxury labels over all others. Still think you should choose on fit.

The Gucci is half the price, and considering you will probably wear the shoes to death and not sell them, the Hermès shoe probably won’t be an “investment.” You can wear the Gucci, wear them out, and buy a new pair later for the same price as one pair of Hermès. But if you absolutely love the Hermès, get them instead if you are willing to pay more. Have you tried both pairs on? Seen them in person?

Last edited:
Reactions: theprettymiss
Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. really interested in which one is 'better' which i guess will always defer to Hermes. limited to online so may order both and try out fits, but if choose one i suppose Hermes as they are still above brand-wise

funny how brands work the more i research...noticed an Hermes backpack compared to an LV bookbag, while i prefer quality over 'flash' i still much prefer the LV to the Hermes i saw

As for the hierarchy thing, you could go rtw John Lobb or others that arguably top Hermes for shoes. In fact, Lobb is part of the Hermes group now. The Gucci horse bit is just such a classic. Everybody loves the horse bits. The SA in the Chicago Gucci store said it's common for men to bring in their shoes to get re-soled over and over, ten+ year old shoes are not uncommon.

Reactions: papertiger
IMO all above comments are valid but I still maintain that you should judge by fit and confort as there could be a significant difference. The shoes are made on different lasts and should not fit the same.

Since you stated that price doesn’t matter IMO it’s pretty childish to decide on anything other than fit and comfort.

You may also prefer the toe character of one over the other when on. Judge that by looking in a mirror-not by looking down on the shoe which is a viewpoint that only you see.

Agree about Lobb but the OP clearly cares about general recognizable status which knocks out Lobb.

Also, Hermès is not twice the price-you need to compare apples to apples and leather soled Gucci loafers are more than the gomma (rubber) but admittedly still less than Hermès.

If you’re really concerned about luxury, Hermès makes the finer shoe but Gucci is great and generally more recognizable. I’m a shoe snob and although I own Hermès bags, I don’t wear their shoes and do own a ton of Gucci but honestly consider Hermès the finer product.

One company has outlet stores and the other would close up shop first. That also tells you something but again, I think it’s childish to go by anything other than fit as they’re pretty much the same shoe and both true luxury labels.

Lastly, be honest with yourself-what’s more important to you-that others know what you’re wearing or that you know what you’re wearing? Assuming that they fit and feel the same (which IMO they won’t), if the former is true, go with Gucci. If the latter is true, go with Hermès.

Just my opinion all!

Reactions: DB8
As for the hierarchy thing, you could go rtw John Lobb or others that arguably top Hermes for shoes. In fact, Lobb is part of the Hermes group now. The Gucci horse bit is just such a classic. Everybody loves the horse bits. The SA in the Chicago Gucci store said it's common for men to bring in their shoes to get re-soled over and over, ten+ year old shoes are not uncommon.

DH has Gucci shoes he wears regularly from 2003 and they've been resoled 5 X. The first time he had them resoled for free from Gucci. Hermes can be resoled too but you have to pay.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. really interested in which one is 'better' which i guess will always defer to Hermes. limited to online so may order both and try out fits, but if choose one i suppose Hermes as they are still above brand-wise

funny how brands work the more i research...noticed an Hermes backpack compared to an LV bookbag, while i prefer quality over 'flash' i still much prefer the LV to the Hermes i saw

I have both brands (with the addition of doc martens and handmade boots, H and Gucci shoes are all I've bought with few exceptions for 5 years. I don't have the Sydney (but then I'm not a man). I do have 4 pairs of 1953s though.

The Gucci 1953 is closer to the Norwegian indoor moccasin that the became the penny loafer Weegun. The Hermes Sydney are slightly more conventional/formal, they are more a direct comparison to Gucci's 1970s loafer (now called Jordaan).

Since you can get both resoled 'forever' price needn't be your sticking point. The classic is the Gucci, in this case Hermes is actually the 'wannabe'*.

Alain Delon wore Gucci 1953 loafers IRL and the films that counted. I mean, what other choice is there really?

*Incidentally there were also Cox loafers in the 1990s that were called Wannabe because they acknowledged wanting to be 1990s Guccis heeled version of their 1953 loafers (now called Vegas at Gucci).

thanks! why would you still go Gucci if unlimit budget? like i said i do kind of prefer the 'equestrian buckle' but am still a sheep for brand heirarchy :/

They are both equestrian. The Gucci has a snaffle horse-bit, Hermes has a D-ring. They are 2 of the most common, simple horse-bits. Hermes is of course the only one of the two you can actually buy both full-size bits for your horse whereas the Gucci snaffle is an affectation, used to emulate saddleries (like Hermes) when putting it on their shoes.

Attachments

• tumblr_mjlqjmiAsC1qm9s2io1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_mjlqjmiAsC1qm9s2io1_1280.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 202
if only these two, I’d vote Gucci; otherwise, I think many nicer options than the big logos, eg John Lobb, edward green, gaziano and girling, george cleverley or the bespoke shoe makers in Japan.

Everybody - top stuff, thank you for these insights which surpass what I was hoping for prior to posting!

Indeed, I do prefer to wear what is considered 'best' although that is for my own sake compared to what others think (for example many people I know/work with wear slightly flashy Gucci wallets whereas I hold my credentials in a logo-less Hermes wallet. I guess I am an 'stealthy elitist' if that makes sense :biggrin: All wonderful suggestions, it really does seem like I am comparing two products of the same quality here in which case I will defer to my own preference of style rather than brand. Thank you all again for the help, this site can be a true fountain of knowledge when it comes to these types of dilemmas!

CEEF1D40-F102-4E31-BDC8-4B3F3D664A1C.jpeg
Everybody - top stuff, thank you for these insights which surpass what I was hoping for prior to posting!

Indeed, I do prefer to wear what is considered 'best' although that is for my own sake compared to what others think (for example many people I know/work with wear slightly flashy Gucci wallets whereas I hold my credentials in a logo-less Hermes wallet. I guess I am an 'stealthy elitist' if that makes sense :biggrin: All wonderful suggestions, it really does seem like I am comparing two products of the same quality here in which case I will defer to my own preference of style rather than brand. Thank you all again for the help, this site can be a true fountain of knowledge when it comes to these types of dilemmas!

Interesting conversation and curious to hear which you decide to buy. Let us know. Again, hope you do try both on prior to purchase. . LOL about displaying flashy Gucci logos as here’s what I’m wearing today!

Those shoes are fresh af!! Was NOT hating on Gucci logo'd items at all, many of their lines are designed around one of their logos and look amazing imo. Was just saying in my experience many of my (typically younger) coworkers finding excuses to pull out their wallets in the office (???) to 'flash' their logos, etc.