Hermes struggle is real! Story time/rant/experience

CClovesbags

Nov 22, 2016
Dear tPFers, this is my first thread and sure hope I won't regret later [emoji4]
And I will try to keep it short so others can chime in...
Used to buy designers bags when they went on sale (doesn't matter if I really liked them or not. Just having a hard time to pass on a deal). Then I discovered Chanel like most people, couldn't stop looking and wanting the next "IT" bag. I have had purchased bags from all sorts of designers but the orange Hermes is always the dream would never come true for me.
If you had asked me a year ago to buy a brand new birkin, I probably would say unless I won the lottery....
My husband and I would joke about me owning a birkin and use it as a diaper bag like some celebrities on tv. Never owned any Hermes piece until last March when I bought the first clic clac. Then I couldn't stop browsing all the beautiful pics of H bags online. My husband doesn't understand the hype behind the luxury goods and would tease me from time to time but he is very good at taking notes of what I want. Same March last year, he bought me a Chanel chevron boy during our trip, thinking that the boy would be it. Until I kept talking about how H bags were investment ect. Like I said, I had only shopped once or twice at our home store at this point.
Fast forward to September, he walked into the Hermes store on my birthday and asked for the SA who helped me with the clic, and flat out told her "my wife really wants a birkin. What can I do to get her a birkin?" The SA said "well, we only sell our B/K to our clients" (which I thought was funny because aren't we all clients if we shop at the store?) And he asked what he could do to become a "client"? With the help of the SA, they picked a Kelly wallet, double tour watch, cashmere shawl and twilly for my birthday. He came home and put all the goodies in plastic grocery bags and said "Happy birthday!" I was thrilled to see what's inside. ( im a bad person because I returned all of them and exchanged for things that I would use... regret it very much. Wish I had kept the Kelly wallet and the shawl.
Within 10 days, I got a call from the store saying that my birkin had arrived if I would like to take a look. Well, yes, I got the birkin and my husband thought finally, this is the end of my handbag buying history. Strange thing is that I now want to collect more and have no problem getting rid of my other bags for another H bag.
We don't have money trees growing in our backyard and work really hard for our money but the urge to want to buy another B or K is killing me [emoji12]
That being said, I'm saving for a red B or K and hopefully it would come soon and maybe, just maybe, I would be content [emoji18]
Would love to hear your stories if you don't mind sharing.
Everything in the picture was collected within 10 months... crazy...
(Some small items are missing from the pic because was trying to take a picture before my 2 year-old got his chocolate covered hands on my bags [emoji847])
IMG_1486326149.738256.jpg

Ps. This thread isn't meant for bragging and if you have anything negative to say, would you please keep it to yourself? [emoji8]

Hermes truly is addicting... i slid fast on the slope too, like you.. i even went to Paris to get a fast fix, hehe... i have to think and rethink now if i really want some things, no money tree here either... but a red B or K is a must.. if you love red... :biggrin: otherwise must.. pace... myself...

Hi Sweetie! We all started this way. You are not alone!! So happy you got your dream bag, your gold B is gorgeous. My first K was a gold K and I thought it would be my only one, that I would be satisfied. Ummm....fast forward a couple of years.. now I have 10 H bags. Am slowly in the process of getting rid of chanel, dior, etc. Your hubs is a dreamboat because although he doesn't understand the hype of luxury brands, he knows it makes you happy and that's his ultimate goal. He's a keeper!

You won't get any rude comments here dear. We are all on this thread sharing our love of H goods and all share in each other's joy of new bags, bracelets, jewelry, whatever.

Oh and if you need a red bag "fix" while you are waiting for your dream red K or B, I have found that some other designs by H are just as delightful and fun to own for different occasions. Like Picotin, Evelyne, Garden Party - and they don't hurt the wallet as badly. :giggle:

Hermes truly is addicting... i slid fast on the slope too, like you.. i even went to Paris to get a fast fix, hehe... i have to think and rethink now if i really want some things, no money tree here either... but a red B or K is a must.. if you love red... :biggrin: otherwise must.. pace... myself...

Never thought I would want a red bag (even when I told my SA that my preference was anything red, she thought I was brave?!?!?) so they offered me a gold B35 to be my first bag. Still can't get a red H bag out of my mind!!

Last edited:
Reactions: prepster
Hi Sweetie! We all started this way. You are not alone!! So happy you got your dream bag, your gold B is gorgeous. My first K was a gold K and I thought it would be my only one, that I would be satisfied. Ummm....fast forward a couple of years.. now I have 10 H bags. Am slowly in the process of getting rid of chanel, dior, etc. Your hubs is a dreamboat because although he doesn't understand the hype of luxury brands, he knows it makes you happy and that's his ultimate goal. He's a keeper!

You won't get any rude comments here dear. We are all on this thread sharing our love of H goods and all share in each other's joy of new bags, bracelets, jewelry, whatever.

You are so sweet! I feel like I have spent so much time on the forum looking for a closure... haha, and little did I know it's only the beginning. I also followed the "Hermes bags in Paris" thread and read all the sad/happy stories of how others tried to get their bags. If I didn't have to take the kids to school, would probably be on a flight to try my luck!! [emoji12]
And yes, he is a keeper. He is very into the element of surprises. Then it will be another thread just for him... [emoji23]

Never thought I would want a red bag (even when I told my SA that my preference was anything red, she thought I was brave?!?!?) so they offered me a gold B35 to be my first bag. Still get a red H bag out of my mind!!
You can't go wrong with the gold B35 - it was my first H bag also (red Kelly came next!). I think it's a forever bag.