Hermes struggle is real! Story time/rant/experience

Our personal details are different but our H falling-in-love stories are similar. It's an intoxicating and maddening process but the results are worth the pain. I hope you get your dream red bag (I LOVE my RC Kelly) but please be ready to not be content. I thought I would be but I now see that there will always be a "next bag"!

I would literally exhaust you all right out if i told you how many H pieces I have bought and sold over the years.... my best advice while it seems like you can't ever pass up a bag, and it hurts when you do it there's a reason for everything and a season for everything in the right items always seem to have a way of finding their way to us and this is not the Hope Diamond where there's only one in the world, so we all need to learn to pace yourself probably myself above all others. You will appreciate them much more if you take the time to curate a thoughtful collection and passed up an item every now and then because the next one purchase will be even more dear to you. [emoji8]

Congratulations on your beautiful collection, and thank you for sharing your story! :hugs:There's so much knowledge and experience here; you'll find great support. If you ever feel anxious about wanting a bag or searching for some elusive piece, sometimes it helps to take the long view, and think of collecting H as an activity to enjoy over a lifetime. That keeps it a pleasure, and takes some of the hurry out of it for me. :heart: Welcome! And happy collecting!

Last edited:
Dear tPFers, this is my first thread and sure hope I won't regret later [emoji4]
And I will try to keep it short so others can chime in...
Used to buy designers bags when they went on sale (doesn't matter if I really liked them or not. Just having a hard time to pass on a deal). Then I discovered Chanel like most people, couldn't stop looking and wanting the next "IT" bag. I have had purchased bags from all sorts of designers but the orange Hermes is always the dream would never come true for me.
If you had asked me a year ago to buy a brand new birkin, I probably would say unless I won the lottery....
My husband and I would joke about me owning a birkin and use it as a diaper bag like some celebrities on tv. Never owned any Hermes piece until last March when I bought the first clic clac. Then I couldn't stop browsing all the beautiful pics of H bags online. My husband doesn't understand the hype behind the luxury goods and would tease me from time to time but he is very good at taking notes of what I want. Same March last year, he bought me a Chanel chevron boy during our trip, thinking that the boy would be it. Until I kept talking about how H bags were investment ect. Like I said, I had only shopped once or twice at our home store at this point.
Fast forward to September, he walked into the Hermes store on my birthday and asked for the SA who helped me with the clic, and flat out told her "my wife really wants a birkin. What can I do to get her a birkin?" The SA said "well, we only sell our B/K to our clients" (which I thought was funny because aren't we all clients if we shop at the store?) And he asked what he could do to become a "client"? With the help of the SA, they picked a Kelly wallet, double tour watch, cashmere shawl and twilly for my birthday. He came home and put all the goodies in plastic grocery bags and said "Happy birthday!" I was thrilled to see what's inside. ( im a bad person because I returned all of them and exchanged for things that I would use... regret it very much. Wish I had kept the Kelly wallet and the shawl.
Within 10 days, I got a call from the store saying that my birkin had arrived if I would like to take a look. Well, yes, I got the birkin and my husband thought finally, this is the end of my handbag buying history. Strange thing is that I now want to collect more and have no problem getting rid of my other bags for another H bag.
We don't have money trees growing in our backyard and work really hard for our money but the urge to want to buy another B or K is killing me [emoji12]
That being said, I'm saving for a red B or K and hopefully it would come soon and maybe, just maybe, I would be content [emoji18]
Would love to hear your stories if you don't mind sharing.
Everything in the picture was collected within 10 months... crazy...
(Some small items are missing from the pic because was trying to take a picture before my 2 year-old got his chocolate covered hands on my bags [emoji847])
View attachment 3596060

Ps. This thread isn't meant for bragging and if you have anything negative to say, would you please keep it to yourself? [emoji8]

Glad to have another new collector "come out from hiding!" Also, TPF is a safe haven for us, so dont worry! Lol!

It is indeed a slippery slope as I also officially got smittened 10 months ago too, though my first official H anything was from Jan 2015 when I was supposed to get a Balenciaga Town on our 10 year anniversary in Oahu. We were in Ala Moana and Hermes was beside Balenciaga before their recent move. I "joked" and said I'd rather get something Hermes instead. My husband played along and watched me try on an Evelyne (for maybe the 5th time, various H locations) but I still wasn't convinced that it was "the first H bag" until I laid eyes on the the Herbag 31 in prune/choco! It was the perfect 10 year anniversary gift. Goodbye, Balenciaga Town.

Since then, I haven't bought anything H until April 2016, when the craziness officially began. Just like you, 10 months! It happened in Las Vegas. For months I have I fallen hard for glycine while admiring pics in IG. I was on a mission in Las Vegas, I just want to buy anything glycine! Well, I found a Lindy 26 in glycine, then a Kelly 32 sellier in epsom blue sapphire, then a Birkin 30 in TC noir, then a Jypsiere 28 sombrero/epsom in blue obscur/noir, then a Constance 24 in rouge grenat enamel, then a Jige clutch swift in noir, then a Birkin 35 verso togo in gris mouette/blue agate.

In between the bag spending were 2 bearns, in box and cardcase epsom, both in noir. Also, sandals, twillies, rodeos, paddocks, carmens, perfume and porcelain.

I have a passion for collecting since I was a child but never in a million years have I imagined I will be collecting Hermes bags (and other goodies!) So yes, for the newbie H collector like us, the craving is real. But like what the other member said, it really takes years of collecting and carefully curating your H family. I told myself I will behave in 2017 since I have the H "basics" but ate my words 21 days in when my husband bought the verso for our 12 year anniversary but I will stand my ground that I only need one more bag in 2017 and that is a Kelly Retourne 28/32 in Malachite GHW. I have to remind myself, H collecting is not a sprint, it's a marathon!

Goodluck with your hunt for your perfect red! Hope to see your future goodies throughout the rest of the year!

Last edited:
Glad to have another new collector "come out from hiding!" Also, TPF is a safe haven for us, so dont worry! Lol!

It is indeed a slippery slope as I also officially got smittened 10 months ago too, though my first official H anything was from Jan 2015 when I was supposed to get a Balenciaga Town on our 10 year anniversary in Oahu. We were in Ala Moana and Hermes was beside Balenciaga before their recent move. I "joked" and said I'd rather get something Hermes instead. My husband played along and watched me try on an Evelyne (for maybe the 5th time, various H locations) but I still wasn't convinced that it was "the first H bag" until I laid eyes on the the Herbag 31 in prune/choco! It was the perfect 10 year anniversary gift. Goodbye, Balenciaga Town.

Since then, I haven't bought anything H until April 2016, when the craziness officially began. Just like you, 10 months! It happened in Las Vegas. For months I have I fallen hard for glycine while admiring pics in IG. I was on a mission in Las Vegas, I just want to buy anything glycine! Well, I found a Lindy 26 in glycine, then a Kelly 32 sellier in epsom blue sapphire, then a Birkin 30 in TC noir, then a Jypsiere 28 sombrero/epsom in blue obscur/noir, then a Constance 24 in rouge grenat enamel, then a Jige clutch swift in noir, then a Birkin 35 verso togo in gris mouette/blue agate.

In between the bag spending were 2 bearns, in box and cardcase epsom, both in noir. Also, sandals, twillies, rodeos, paddocks, carmens, perfume and porcelain.

I have a passion for collecting since I was a child but never in a million years have I imagined I will be collecting Hermes bags (and other goodies!) So yes, for the newbie H collector like us, the craving is real. But like what the other member said, it really takes years of collecting and carefully curating your H family. I told myself I will behave in 2017 since I have the H "basics" but ate my words 21 days in when my husband bought the verso for our 12 year anniversary but I will stand my ground that I only need one more bag in 2017 and that is a Kelly Retourne 28/32 in Malachite GHW. I have to remind myself, H collecting is not a sprint, it's a marathon!

Goodluck with your hunt for your perfect red! Hope to see your future goodies throughout the rest of the year!

Oh my!!! You have me beat and your collection sounds heavenly [emoji7]. My husband works in finance so to him, an investment would be a piece of property or stock not a bag. I've tried to make him think that perhaps someday I can pass these gorgeous bags to my daughter. He would roll his eyes every time I say that because my girl is only 5 [emoji12]. If money is no issue, I would love to own a couple more pieces but for now, I would have to live off others' H fairytales like yours.
Thanks for sharing your story!!!! [emoji173]️

Dear tPFers, this is my first thread and sure hope I won't regret later [emoji4]
And I will try to keep it short so others can chime in...
Used to buy designers bags when they went on sale (doesn't matter if I really liked them or not. Just having a hard time to pass on a deal). Then I discovered Chanel like most people, couldn't stop looking and wanting the next "IT" bag. I have had purchased bags from all sorts of designers but the orange Hermes is always the dream would never come true for me.
If you had asked me a year ago to buy a brand new birkin, I probably would say unless I won the lottery....
My husband and I would joke about me owning a birkin and use it as a diaper bag like some celebrities on tv. Never owned any Hermes piece until last March when I bought the first clic clac. Then I couldn't stop browsing all the beautiful pics of H bags online. My husband doesn't understand the hype behind the luxury goods and would tease me from time to time but he is very good at taking notes of what I want. Same March last year, he bought me a Chanel chevron boy during our trip, thinking that the boy would be it. Until I kept talking about how H bags were investment ect. Like I said, I had only shopped once or twice at our home store at this point.
Fast forward to September, he walked into the Hermes store on my birthday and asked for the SA who helped me with the clic, and flat out told her "my wife really wants a birkin. What can I do to get her a birkin?" The SA said "well, we only sell our B/K to our clients" (which I thought was funny because aren't we all clients if we shop at the store?) And he asked what he could do to become a "client"? With the help of the SA, they picked a Kelly wallet, double tour watch, cashmere shawl and twilly for my birthday. He came home and put all the goodies in plastic grocery bags and said "Happy birthday!" I was thrilled to see what's inside. ( im a bad person because I returned all of them and exchanged for things that I would use... regret it very much. Wish I had kept the Kelly wallet and the shawl.
Within 10 days, I got a call from the store saying that my birkin had arrived if I would like to take a look. Well, yes, I got the birkin and my husband thought finally, this is the end of my handbag buying history. Strange thing is that I now want to collect more and have no problem getting rid of my other bags for another H bag.
We don't have money trees growing in our backyard and work really hard for our money but the urge to want to buy another B or K is killing me [emoji12]
That being said, I'm saving for a red B or K and hopefully it would come soon and maybe, just maybe, I would be content [emoji18]
Would love to hear your stories if you don't mind sharing.
Everything in the picture was collected within 10 months... crazy...
(Some small items are missing from the pic because was trying to take a picture before my 2 year-old got his chocolate covered hands on my bags [emoji847])
View attachment 3596060

Ps. This thread isn't meant for bragging and if you have anything negative to say, would you please keep it to yourself? [emoji8]

Dear CClovesbags, like the ladies here, I've started down the same road over a decade ago. And you have a lovely collection thus far.

I started with my first black birkin and told myself that's all I need and want. Fast forward, my wonderful DH told me that I have a nice collection now and if I can work with my "portfolio" since I told him H is an investment. [emoji12]
So I promised him that I would try my best and suppress random urges to go buy another bag unless I'm updating my portfolio since I'm still tweaking my collection. My once loved bag is now replaced with a different color/size due to preference and use. I realized I don't need so many bags. I just need few to keep me happy and carry them proudly.

I hope you'll find your red bag and your H goodies bring you joy. Good look!

[emoji8]

hahaaa did nobody give you the advice to be careful as it is a slipperly orange slope?

We all started like that. I still do believe that they add anything to their products. H eroin or whatever.

[emoji23][emoji23] I heard about the slippery orange slope and I thought for sure I wouldn't be down that road and for the longest time I thought it was crazy H charged that much $$$$ for a bag and I would never buy anything H. Now look at me.... hopeless sucker for H. I even caved in to play their B/K chasing games [emoji24]

Oh my!!! You have me beat and your collection sounds heavenly [emoji7]. My husband works in finance so to him, an investment would be a piece of property or stock not a bag. I've tried to make him think that perhaps someday I can pass these gorgeous bags to my daughter. He would roll his eyes every time I say that because my girl is only 5 [emoji12]. If money is no issue, I would love to own a couple more pieces but for now, I would have to live off others' H fairytales like yours.
Thanks for sharing your story!!!! [emoji173]️

I truly believe that your daugther will carry your H bags in the future! I have seen a lot of vintage pieces here and heard stories of ladies receiving their first H bag that their mom used to own. I think it creates a special bond! I would say the same thing to my DH, only difference is, we have a son. So l would always say, I need a daughter for all these bags (H and non-H) cuz I dont want my future daughter-in-law to end up with all of them. Haha!

Anyway, I'm sure I am not the only one who was in the situation wherein I told myself "I only need one." When you get the call, it's quite difficult to say no. With my situation, I got a bit spoiled by my home boutique because they came through with my bag requests even for such a new relationship. Believe it or not, I have put certain limits on H items that I buy, like I only make all boutique purchases & no buying from resellers, 1 colorway per twilly pattern, 1 size rodeo (pm only), only horse head paddock charm (no other shapes), and cardcases/compact wallets, or wallets no more than $3000 only. It helps me really think about the pieces I buy. Maybe you can use my "self imposed limit" as a bargaining tool with your husband too!

Last edited:
Dear CClovesbags, like the ladies here, I've started down the same road over a decade ago. And you have a lovely collection thus far.

I started with my first black birkin and told myself that's all I need and want. Fast forward, my wonderful DH told me that I have a nice collection now and if I can work with my "portfolio" since I told him H is an investment. [emoji12]
So I promised him that I would try my best and suppress random urges to go buy another bag unless I'm updating my portfolio since I'm still tweaking my collection. My once loved bag is now replaced with a different color/size due to preference and use. I realized I don't need so many bags. I just need few to keep me happy and carry them proudly.

I hope you'll find your red bag and your H goodies bring you joy. Good look!

[emoji8]

I love how you put it. "portfolio" is so fitting and maybe my husband will trust me enough to let me manage my own portfolio [emoji12]
And I always tell him that it will take time to sell a piece of property but I can sell my bags in no time if my kids don't like what I would will them...

Reactions: prepster