Hermes Scarf Ties

Mr. Carre

Apr 15, 2009
A Hermes favorite of mine, which is underdiscussed, is their scarf ties. Traditional men's neckties, folded from scarves. I believe a few patterns are made available every season and are soon bought-up.
I have two and always receive compliments.

What does everyone else think? Post some picks.

They had a few at the SCP store the last time I was there. It was a red background with what looked like a hot air balloon on it. Very pretty, but as red and yellow look terrible on me I had to pass. They're priced much higher than the traditional twill or heavy silk ties though -- closer in price to the silk scarves, but as that's what they are, it's not surprising.

If I ever see one that's a repurposed Azulejos, I think I will pass out! :smile:

^
I think I tried some of these in cannes, but none of the colours or prints did me any good. I do like the idea though if I could find one that I could actually wear.

Liberté;10696111 said:
^
I think I tried some of these in cannes, but none of the colours or prints did me any good. I do like the idea though if I could find one that I could actually wear.

The exuberant randomness is the charm of the scarf ties. They lend themselves best to "preppy" attire, ie, blazer-chinos-a white Brooks Bros. shirt-and Gucci moc.s

A Hermes favorite of mine, which is underdiscussed, is their scarf ties. Traditional men's neckties, folded from scarves. I believe a few patterns are made available every season and are soon bought-up.

MC--
If yur referring to their standard 90cm scarves, folded into a men's tie, YES, I think they are fabulous for guys! In fact, I believe that carres were originally worn by men as ascots, etc. Napoleon wore a carre folded this way, I believe (at least, the pic in my Napoleon scarf shows some sort of ascot).

The pattern Attrape tes Reves in orange make a smashing men's ascot or mens tie fold. The sellier H does too.

I think the losanges r nice too, but more casual.

have fun w/ this and post pix for us to admire.

Thanks for posting this, Mr Carre. I was trying to find more info on scarf ties too!

DH bought one with Brides de gala on turqoise several years back and he was so proud of it. He said he received much more compliments from this tie than his other H ties. I wanted to buy him another one last week but at my local H boutique, they only have the balloons ones on red/blue or yellow/green. Too colourful and whimsical for work.

I've never heard of these either, but I have tried to make ties out of 90 cm scarves.

This is Mors et Gourmettes:

3049063562_e558135b32.jpg

This is Beloved India:

3086013905_375c8496bc.jpg

I love that knot! Allan, you are rocking it!

Does "H" make actual ties out of scarf silk? If so, I'd love to see one!

Yes they do!! But I don't see them very often. According to the SA, they're made out of actual silk scarves so they're limited. The price is a notch higher than regular twill ties but PRETTY! I'll see if DH allow me to photograph his.

I saw several of these when SO was tie-shopping at Wall St. in January. I remember seeing Chasse en Inde and Peuple du Vent in light blue CWs, I think there were a few others, too. I could see these being a really fun look, but SO tends to go more conservative so he picked a striped tie. There are usually loads of these scarf ties on eBay, too.