Scarves Hermès Scarf Identification

The Spouse is getting a new car, a ragtop, and I am browsing for a scarf to match the car and keep in the dash. Looks like it's going to be silver and I found a beautiful silver scarf today, but quickly realized it's a pochette, not a carre. So bummed!

It's called 'Chaine d'Ancre Geometric' and is in a lovely silver, just right to go with the new toy ; -) Anyone know if this was ever released in a larger format? Fingers crossed!

Also, vis a vis the crepe conversation; Crepe gets is stretchy drapey wrinkle free quality from the twists to the threads. Tighter twists and reverse twists create the texture and give it it's lush hand. Also; Popular for mourning because it's low lustre was considered more appropriate, vs satin, the other heavier go to fabric for the Victorians.

The Spouse is getting a new car, a ragtop, and I am browsing for a scarf to match the car and keep in the dash. Looks like it's going to be silver and I found a beautiful silver scarf today, but quickly realized it's a pochette, not a carre. So bummed!

It's called 'Chaine d'Ancre Geometric' and is in a lovely silver, just right to go with the new toy ; -) Anyone know if this was ever released in a larger format? Fingers crossed!

Also, vis a vis the crepe conversation; Crepe gets is stretchy drapey wrinkle free quality from the twists to the threads. Tighter twists and reverse twists create the texture and give it it's lush hand. Also; Popular for mourning because it's low lustre was considered more appropriate, vs satin, the other heavier go to fabric for the Victorians.
OK, a rare scarf (never heard of... ) and you know the name - why? Is it written on the tag ? If so, it is likely a recent mens scarf, they have done the chain d ancre motif ad infinitum in the mens scarves, always a bit differently one design from the other
Call Hermes andfsee if a mens department SA can help you. OIr go search the web site for chaine d ancre

Reactions: Etriers
Maybe the seller made the name up? I didn't see any name on the scarf,but often pochettes don't seem to have one.

This is a jacquard so I don't think it will be in a current or recent collection. There are as you point out a ton of closely named alternatives. While looking I found a silver jacquard in the bee pattern, also appealing, but still a hanky ; -P

I searched pretty assiduously before posting so I don't think it's going to just pop up, except for the ebay listing for it; https://www.ebay.com/itm/173644297196

Man, I hate it when even the champs are stumped! Thanks so much for giving it a go.
s-l1600.jpg

Maybe the seller made the name up? I didn't see any name on the scarf,but often pochettes don't seem to have one.

This is a jacquard so I don't think it will be in a current or recent collection. There are as you point out a ton of closely named alternatives. While looking I found a silver jacquard in the bee pattern, also appealing, but still a hanky ; -P

I searched pretty assiduously before posting so I don't think it's going to just pop up, except for the ebay listing for it; https://www.ebay.com/itm/173644297196

Man, I hate it when even the champs are stumped! Thanks so much for giving it a go.
s-l1600.jpg
Got it ! COLLECTION EQUESTRE is the name, done in various sizes and various looks - printed , jacquard etc. This exact cw was perhaps not done in 90cm. Most variants were in the mens collections
No idea if this one is authentic, just recognize design
There arent even chaines d ancres on the scarf ...

Oh, you’re so right...and it just occurred to me that it could be a language translation issue as well. I think possibly the reason chiffon and georgette are referred to as crêpe, might be because the yarn is technically “crêpe-d” in that the yarn is twisted. (Georgette has two or three ply though, vs. a single ply for chiffon. Which is why chiffon is floppy and soft.). But yes, there’s voile and organza and all sorts of other yummy and potentially confusing descriptions! :smile: I suppose that’s why we all love to touch everything. Much to the chagrin of shops probably. But it’s so difficult without feeling a fabric in the hand.

Trying to wrap this up—I bought Madison Avenue 2000 in its crepe neutral version. Seller said it differs from georgette in its luxurious feel. Definitely softer to my touch than chiffon or silk moussie.
It is a demonstrably different look IRL on front and reverse, the latter seems shinier and the twill weave more pronounced, I think. BTW: the iphone XS camera shoots inconsistently warm, but I’m trying to capture texture here. Thank y’all for inputs.

497D80C7-12CC-476B-A478-B56B2CBE3B8A.jpeg

83F342AC-85ED-46E0-A9AA-549FF1FF46A1.jpeg

Reactions: Etriers
Trying to wrap this up—I bought Madison Avenue 2000 in its crepe neutral version. Seller said it differs from georgette in its luxurious feel. Definitely softer to my touch than chiffon or silk moussie.
It is a demonstrably different look IRL on front and reverse, the latter seems shinier and the twill weave more pronounced, I think. BTW: the iphone XS camera shoots inconsistently warm, but I’m trying to capture texture here. Thank y’all for inputs.

View attachment 4548594

View attachment 4548596

Gorgeous!

I have acquired this scarf, and it obviously predates the New Orleans Creole Jazz scarf by Dubigeon.
It has all of the qualities (weight, hem) fullsizeoutput_303e.jpeg fullsizeoutput_3042.jpeg fullsizeoutput_3045.jpeg fullsizeoutput_3048.jpeg fullsizeoutput_303e.jpeg fullsizeoutput_3042.jpeg fullsizeoutput_3045.jpeg fullsizeoutput_3048.jpeg of a true Hermes... though I can't seem to find any photos or info on it out there in the google search world. It does not have its original tag
Any help would be greatly appreciated

I have acquired this scarf, and it obviously predates the New Orleans Creole Jazz scarf by Dubigeon.
It has all of the qualities (weight, hem) View attachment 4550501 View attachment 4550502 View attachment 4550503 View attachment 4550504 View attachment 4550501 View attachment 4550502 View attachment 4550503 View attachment 4550504 of a true Hermes... though I can't seem to find any photos or info on it out there in the google search world. It does not have its original tag
Any help would be greatly appreciated

I don't authenticate on the H forum however, it's very unlike any Ledoux I've ever seen (and I have a few). I actually have a New Orleans Creole Jazz and I think you have a scarf that is masquerading as a vintage H scarf but very poorly. Please see @Pautinka 's recent warning in the Hermes Shopping Forum discussing resellers scarves https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/discuss-hermes-resale-ebay-sellers.643531/page-504

I don't authenticate on this forum however, it's very unlike any Ledoux I've ever seen (and I have a few). I actually have a New Orleans Creole Jazz and I think you have a scarf that is masquerading as a vintage H scarf but very poorly. Please see @Pautinka 's recent warning in the Hermes Shopping Forum discussing resellers scarves https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/discuss-hermes-resale-ebay-sellers.643531/page-504
Thank You! After more research... I found a link to fake Hermes scarves made in Italy! This is one of 'em! The design is crude, but oh boy... They're certainly doing a good job on the plump hems and semi-high quality silk! Hate when this happens :sad:

Dear all,
could anyone of you please tell me from which year each of those scarfs is?
Not the initial issue, but these colors.
Both about 65cm.
Thank you.

Attachments

• 5EC47D00-CAF9-4EC8-861F-CD6BC36D847E.jpeg
    5EC47D00-CAF9-4EC8-861F-CD6BC36D847E.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 150
  • A6516FFD-D85C-45F3-A730-6330324ADFC9.jpeg
    A6516FFD-D85C-45F3-A730-6330324ADFC9.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 148
Lots of sellers mismeasure scarves and get confused between inches and centimeters.
And it is hard to measure an older one that is out of square.
AND to make it really hard ... The Hermes web site now claims gavroches to be 18 inches square on US site and 45cm on French site - 45 cm is a bit shy of a full 18 inches
https://www.hermes.com/fr/fr/carres-et-accessoires-en-soie/femme/#||Catégorie
https://www.hermes.com/us/en/product/les-tigreaux-scarf-45-H892491Sv07/

FWIW- I have measured many of the gavroches I have bought directly from H, and NONE of them ever measure 18". 16-17ish is usually more correct. Maybe they were 18" before they rolled the hems.....???

Reactions: Cookiefiend
Dear all,
could anyone of you please tell me from which year each of those scarfs is?
Not the initial issue, but these colors.
Both about 65cm.
Thank you.
The second is Ferronnerie by Katy Latham, produced in the 70cm vintage fabric and the other is Wlodek Kaminski, Selle d'Officier, also in 70cm vintage,

I spent some time going back through the entire catalogue of 70's at some point and posted the year of issue of all that I could find here. I think Ferronnerie was 2010.

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/ode-to-the-70-cm-scarves.524415/page-89

FWIW- I have measured many of the gavroches I have bought directly from H, and NONE of them ever measure 18". 16-17ish is usually more correct. Maybe they were 18" before they rolled the hems.....???
Agree they are never 18 in
But I did check (that I am not hallucinating LOL), the US site says 18 inches today
https://www.hermes.com/us/en/product/les-tigreaux-scarf-45-H892491Sv09/
The 18 inch gavroche is a myth, promulgated by the web sites.
My guess: they strive for 45 cm - it is a European thing. But on the US web site, no one speaks the metric system and 45cm is 17.71 inches which they round up to 18 inches. All the dimensions on the US site are cited as WHOLE numbers of inches - H rounds.
And, of course, as soon as you wear any scarf, it is out of square and harder to measure

Good morning, I started documenting my scarves on cards and in envelopes inspired by the lovely Mai Tai’s system, and wonder if any scarfies have background information on Tree of Song and/or Carnaval Des Oiseaux. Were these designs a previous issue and do you know the date of original issue? Also, just any general information about these designs, or if you can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. H occasionally seems to include interesting design information on the website but other than the designer it’s very hit or miss. Thanks!