Scarves Hermès Scarf Identification

The tricky thing with Hermes is that they either
Do not provide a detailed description - the older ones from the 1980s - are marked carré in catalogs, the fact that they are not twill is not mentioned
Or, change the weight of a given fabric ie twill has come in many weights over the years - I probably have a dozen different 90cm twill weight fabrics - but , of course, I am into the oldies , these are better standardized now
Or, worse yet, they use some (supposedly) useful term in a loosy-goosy fashion. Mousseline, chiffon, voile are used on the web sites to refer to a variety of weaves and fabric blends (cotton, silk/cotton, CS/silk). Even the recent Nepalese CS blends are called mousses at times
In a nutshell, Hermes-speak is not an exact language. Same thing applies to size - is a gavroche 18 in or 45 cm ?

Oh, you’re so right...and it just occurred to me that it could be a language translation issue as well. I think possibly the reason chiffon and georgette are referred to as crêpe, might be because the yarn is technically “crêpe-d” in that the yarn is twisted. (Georgette has two or three ply though, vs. a single ply for chiffon. Which is why chiffon is floppy and soft.). But yes, there’s voile and organza and all sorts of other yummy and potentially confusing descriptions! :smile: I suppose that’s why we all love to touch everything. Much to the chagrin of shops probably. But it’s so difficult without feeling a fabric in the hand.

(Responding to marietouchet)
Oh, you’re so right...and it just occurred to me that it could be a language translation issue as well. I think possibly the reason chiffon and georgette are referred to as crêpe, might be because the yarn is technically “crêpe-d” in that the yarn is twisted. (Georgette has two or three ply though, vs. a single ply for chiffon. Which is why chiffon is floppy and soft.). But yes, there’s voile and organza and all sorts of other yummy and potentially confusing descriptions! :smile: I suppose that’s why we all love to touch everything. Much to the chagrin of shops probably. But it’s so difficult without feeling a fabric in the hand.

OMG I LOVE THIS THREAD!

(Responding to marietouchet)

OMG I LOVE THIS THREAD!
Just because I am a geek ... Today on the US Hermes site - the terms MUSLIN and MOUSSELINE are used
1. Only MOUSSELINE scarf is 100 % silk LOVE EMBROIDERED, exceptional scarf, OK, a special case but termed MOUSSELINE
2. The SUNRISE scarf from NEPAL - is termed cashmere MUSLIN (sic) - 100 % CS
3. RAYURES RAINBOW , also from Nepal, is 100 % CS but not called MUSLIN - heavier weight than SUNRISE ??

There are no scarves termed MOUSSELINE or CHIFFON on the French site

All of which begs the question regarding the past moussies - which are kinda no longer made in 100 % silk eg in 140cm or etole what were they called on each site?

Just because I am a geek ... Today on the US Hermes site - the terms MUSLIN and MOUSSELINE are used
1. Only MOUSSELINE scarf is 100 % silk LOVE EMBROIDERED, exceptional scarf, OK, a special case but termed MOUSSELINE
2. The SUNRISE scarf from NEPAL - is termed cashmere MUSLIN (sic) - 100 % CS
3. RAYURES RAINBOW , also from Nepal, is 100 % CS but not called MUSLIN - heavier weight than SUNRISE ??

There are no scarves termed MOUSSELINE or CHIFFON on the French site

All of which begs the question regarding the past moussies - which are kinda no longer made in 100 % silk eg in 140cm or etole what were they called on each site?
is there anyway to pursue the question, better than via the reference thread’s seasonal entries for website screenshots?
or are we happy to leave this a rhetorical question?:smartass:

Reactions: Etriers
is there anyway to pursue the question, better than via the reference thread’s seasonal entries for website screenshots?
or are we happy to leave this a rhetorical question?:smartass:

I wonder if there should be a Hermes Fabrics thread under Reference? This group of posts could be moved over. Any thoughts? Mods? I’ve noticed that we do seem to occasionally drill down at various times into the technicalities of fabrics and trims, whether we’re talking scarves or RTW or sometimes the cloth on bags. There is so much expertise on this forum. It’s a lot of fun to read when the experts weigh in.

I wonder if there should be a Hermes Fabrics thread under Reference? This group of posts could be moved over. Any thoughts? Mods? I’ve noticed that we do seem to occasionally drill down at various times into the technicalities of fabrics and trims, whether we’re talking scarves or RTW or sometimes the cloth on bags. There is so much expertise on this forum. It’s a lot of fun to read when the experts weigh in.

I was thinking the same thing, and would support subject to more experienced folks’ opinions. It’s so fun to dive down, but I was beginning to fear a thread-hijack alert.

Reactions: Etriers
Ohh! Could I ask about these two scarves? I know the 2nd is Doigts de Fee, but if someone could direct me to the colorway?

Thank you!

View attachment 4536242
View attachment 4536243

I don’t know for sure but the first one could, just maybe, be vent portant II. But I really can’t tell. I’m sure someone more knowledgeable can help you. As to the colourway of DdF have you tried a search in this forum? It may turn up the colour that way. Best of luck!:flowers:

Also what year were these pictures from? It may help narrow down the colours. :flowers:

I don’t know for sure but the first one could, just maybe, be vent portant II. But I really can’t tell. I’m sure someone more knowledgeable can help you. As to the colourway of DdF have you tried a search in this forum? It may turn up the colour that way. Best of luck!:flowers:

Also what year were these pictures from? It may help narrow down the colours. :flowers:
Vent portant is a hot prospect for no 1, but it could be an illustration of the sails in any of the sailing scarves by Jarlegant or Mannier,
DdF came in lots of pastel cws that were very hard to photograph, they sometimes all look alike in photos - chronic issue with pastel designs , this one looks beige-y in the center but it could be almost anything on the unseen border, eg yellow

The series came out in 2013, but a majority of the scarves/bags used that were Hermes belonged to the actress (Song Hye Kyo)...so prior to 2013 production is all I have to go on...but I think some intense googling has found the colorway.

And I've now got a name for the unknown scarf!! Thanks so much for the help! :heart:

Last edited:
Reactions: Julide
View attachment 4545479 Hi ladies, hope I’m in the right place (this is my first time ever posting), please redirect me if not... but was hoping someone could help me ID this scarf pattern! Thank you!!

Edited for image
Welcome! You are in the right place. I am not nearly the expert that many here are, but I believe it is H Comme Histoires. That scarf was designed by artist Dimitri Rybaltchenko and issued in spring/summer 2010.

Last edited: