Hermes SA & their gloves

bluewin

Mar 25, 2007
not sure if this is the right place to post this, but feel free to move this to the appropriate place if i post this in the wrong place.

I just thought I should share one of the reasons why Hermes staff are required to wear gloves when they handle Hermes products.

To customers, it might look like it is a big show putting on the white gloves before showing us a product.

To Hermes, it is important to protect their brand and products. As you know, Hermes stands by their craftmanship and quality, they do not wish to sell a product that has defects whether it is minor or major. Once there are scratches on the product (from fingernail or from some other items), the product can no longer be sold, even if it is a birkin (i guess except the customer who did the damage is purchasing the item). This is one of the main reasons why most sales staff are required to wear gloves before showing certain leather items to customers. They don't want their own staff defecting their own products so it coudn't be sold. It is not a big show to them (well, maybe one of those one stone with two birds effect :P)

I know some staff are not required to wear gloves but maybe they have more confidence in those staff, who knows?
I just want to share what I know so people don't misunderstand too much about this brand when it comes to the gloves. They really do care about the products that they produce and sell ;).

Thanks for clarifying, bluewin, and I can certainly understand Hermes' concerns, especially with less-experienced staff. My store only seems to use the gloves when handling the exotic skin bags to protect from finger prints, etc., and frankly it's never bothered or offended me.

If I'm spending top dollar for a product, I want to make sure that it comes home with me in pristine condition without scratches, smudges, etc. I'm only too good at adding those little blemishes myself!:nuts:

i don't think Hermes is unique in requiring staff to wear gloves. most designer brand such as Chanel, Dior as well as jewelry and watch stores, all require staff to wear gloves when displaying merchandise.

i always ask if i can handle the product even when it was presented to me and won't touch the product unless the staff confirms so verbally. apparently, recently in a lot of asian watch shops, some watches were "damaged" by mishandling of the customers! i can't imagine what would happen if something was damaged by customer in a H shop, who would be responsible?

Totally understand what the staffs are wearing gloves. It is nice too as it shows the customers they do take very good care of their products. And yes, I have seen a lot of other brands do the same thing. Never offended me before. It makes me more appreciate the brand. I have been to some luxury brands where the staffs do not seem to care about how they show the products or what customers do to their products while viewing it. It feels not right.

Thanks for the info bluewin :smile:

I just wonder though - is there a uniform set of products that the SAs must wear gloves to handle? Exotics, for example?

I've never seen the SAs in my home store using gloves for any products, and when I was at FSH getting a lizard agenda the SA was not wearing gloves either.

Thanks everyone. I'm glad to share. :smile:

pyrexia,
The store I frequent, they only wear gloves when they are handling exotic leather bags. However, there are other shops that I visited before where they wear gloves for almost everything. It was certainly interesting but I don't feel wierd about the glove thing.
I think when it comes to exotic leather bags, all staff must wear gloves (i haven't seen a staff who doesn't wear glove when it comes to exotic bags). Other items such as agenda or wallet, I think that depends on the shop. At least that's the impression that I got.

hanyeu,
a SM once told me that a birkin couldn't be sold because someone scratched the bag. That someone did not purchase the bag afterwards. Can you believe a birkin that is just sitting in storage room and can never be sold again?

Bluewin

Thanks for sharing.

Does it only apply to birkin? How about other cheaper bags?

I just bought a marwari bag, and it's new from the store, and after purchasing it, and done with the embossed, bag follow me back to office and I realised the leather near the buckle has spilt open. Brought it back to shop and they said the wax came out, and it's normal. But i said this is supposed to be new and I have not use it. They asked me if it's a display or did it come in a sealed box. I said the box is not sealed. So the sa suspect might be thru handling by customer seeing the bag. But we have a craftman here, and it's easily rectify. I should be able to get the back this week:smile:

Thanks everyone. I'm glad to share. :smile:

pyrexia,
The store I frequent, they only wear gloves when they are handling exotic leather bags. However, there are other shops that I visited before where they wear gloves for almost everything. It was certainly interesting but I don't feel wierd about the glove thing.
I think when it comes to exotic leather bags, all staff must wear gloves (i haven't seen a staff who doesn't wear glove when it comes to exotic bags). Other items such as agenda or wallet, I think that depends on the shop. At least that's the impression that I got.

Ah, this could explain it - I've never actually seen an SA handle a brand new exotic bag in my store! :P Thanks bluewin! :smile:

Bluewin

Thanks for sharing.

Does it only apply to birkin? How about other cheaper bags?

I just bought a marwari bag, and it's new from the store, and after purchasing it, and done with the embossed, bag follow me back to office and I realised the leather near the buckle has spilt open. Brought it back to shop and they said the wax came out, and it's normal. But i said this is supposed to be new and I have not use it. They asked me if it's a display or did it come in a sealed box. I said the box is not sealed. So the sa suspect might be thru handling by customer seeing the bag. But we have a craftman here, and it's easily rectify. I should be able to get the back this week:smile:

Sorry to hear about your Marwari, robee, but glad it can be easily fixed!

I've heard that scarves which have defects on them are destroyed, not even sold at sales like how other brands would probably do.

I reckon that they assess the damage done to the item - if the craftsman can fix it up then they'll probably continue selling it, if it is completely irrepairable, then it's taken to be destroyed.

Sorry to hear about your Marwari, robee, but glad it can be easily fixed!

I've heard that scarves which have defects on them are destroyed, not even sold at sales like how other brands would probably do.

I reckon that they assess the damage done to the item - if the craftsman can fix it up then they'll probably continue selling it, if it is completely irrepairable, then it's taken to be destroyed.

They should call me by this week. At least it is assuring enough :biggrin: though it is a cheaper Hermes bag, still a lot of $ for me :P

Glad Hermes has good QC :nuts:

robee,
it's lucky that there's a craftman at your location, hopefully they can fix it.
as far as i know, it is not only restricted to birkin. I don't think it is a matter of how expensive the item is. I agree with Pyrexia where they probably access the damage and whether the shop knew about the damage beforehand or after they sold the product.

no problem Pyrexia!

i don't think Hermes is unique in requiring staff to wear gloves. most designer brand such as Chanel, Dior as well as jewelry and watch stores, all require staff to wear gloves when displaying merchandise.

Yup, LV and Gucci Chanel and Dior SAs wear gloves sometimes depending on the product.

In fact on the same day H SA didn't wear gloves showing me gold jewellery but Gucci SA did.

I think it totally varies. Gloves are not common at all in my experience in Europe. Even the SAs at FSH handling jewellery did not wear gloves. Not seen them in Germany, France or Spain.

However (and rather strangely), the SAs in Manchester Selfridges do use gloves when handling bags and jewellery. Manchester King Street do not. So it must be an individual store policy thing. I personally found it strange. But then I'm not used to it...