Hermes Repair/Refurbish policy - Official Spa Thread

Happy Saturday TPF!

Im taking my vintage 1993 Peau Porc and canvas Rio out for a stroll with me today, but when I took it out of its dust bag I notice a little scuff on the button.

I took it with me on a trip to Venice before Christmas and I imagine it happened there. It’s super small and doesn’t really bother me at all but in the future would Hermes be able to replace/ recover the button?

Thanks in advance for any help

A718B7D2-C3FC-4E69-A465-A412803C1036.jpeg

9FF44496-A0EE-4695-8FB4-339F8212DB71.jpeg

Happy Saturday TPF!

Im taking my vintage 1993 Peau Porc and canvas Rio out for a stroll with me today, but when I took it out of its dust bag I notice a little scuff on the button.

I took it with me on a trip to Venice before Christmas and I imagine it happened there. It’s super small and doesn’t really bother me at all but in the future would Hermes be able to replace/ recover the button?

View attachment 5697017

View attachment 5697018
probably, but ask Hermes
depending on where you are it might not have to go away

Happy Saturday TPF!

View attachment 5697017

View attachment 5697018
Lovely bag! So happy you are using and enjoying it.
I've had H work on a PPK of mine that certainly needed a good cleaning, but also had 2 marks on it- no areas at all of scuff or loss of leather. They were thrilled to work on a vintage piece ( they always are) and did more than I had asked or hoped for. I certainly would bring it in and speak specifically to the artisan who would work on it. I've honestly found if I bring in a vintage piece and start he conversation with the craftsperson, it ALWAYS goes well. They love and appreciate these pieces and want to do well by them.
Good luck!

Lovely bag! So happy you are using and enjoying it.
I've had H work on a PPK of mine that certainly needed a good cleaning, but also had 2 marks on it- no areas at all of scuff or loss of leather. They were thrilled to work on a vintage piece ( they always are) and did more than I had asked or hoped for. I certainly would bring it in and speak specifically to the artisan who would work on it. I've honestly found if I bring in a vintage piece and start he conversation with the craftsperson, it ALWAYS goes well. They love and appreciate these pieces and want to do well by them.
Good luck!
Thanks so much! I keep you all updated once I've been in to have a chat.

Reactions: nymeria
If a handle is ever so splitting is that repairable or do they have to change the whole handle? What if it is a seasonal color that isn’t in season or being made.
If u know me I posted recently that I was looking for a lagoon bag and I found one! The seller didnt disclose the small splitting. It’s minor and I do love the bag but small splitting on the handle should be mentioned.
Anyway.
I dont live near an Hermes but will be traveling to a city with one soon so I will ask them myself but was curious of others experience on this particular issue.

if you meant the leather has split a handle would be replaced not repaired
if it is just stitching that has come apart, that should be repaired
Hermes has a vault of previously used hides kept especially for situations such as yours
if there is an in-house artisan you might get an immediate opinion if you are lucky

if you meant the leather has split a handle would be replaced not repaired
if it is just stitching that has come apart, that should be repaired
Hermes has a vault of previously used hides kept especially for situations such as yours
if there is an in-house artisan you might get an immediate opinion if you are lucky
Thank you. I should clarify. Just where the leather comes together and it’s black it’s opening a little. Just like my other kelly the front of the handle is a dark color not the color of the handle. That’s where the slight opening is occurring towards the bottom. . Not where it’s lagoon leather at all.

Hi ladies, can't believe i found this forum! I am a Hermes newbie and I'm thinking about purchasing a 1992 (my birth year!) second hand kelly 28. It's in really bad shape with cracks and is slightly misshaped. And it seems it has previously been recoloured by a general leather store. Will Hermes spa take in bags that have previously been recoloured? Also slightly nervous about the authenticity as it's from a Japanese ebay store.

Hi ladies, can't believe i found this forum! I am a Hermes newbie and I'm thinking about purchasing a 1992 (my birth year!) second hand kelly 28. It's in really bad shape with cracks and is slightly misshaped. And it seems it has previously been recoloured by a general leather store. Will Hermes spa take in bags that have previously been recoloured? Also slightly nervous about the authenticity as it's from a Japanese ebay store.
No, Hermes won’t accept a bag that has been recoloured.
Keep looking, Kellys from the 90s aren’t rare and they generally come in good shape. You can ask for authentication in this Forum or through Bababebi.

• Insightful
Reactions: 880
No, Hermes won’t accept a bag that has been recoloured.
Keep looking, Kellys from the 90s aren’t rare and they generally come in good shape. You can ask for authentication in this Forum or through Bababebi.
Thank you! Because the price is so good, my heart string is pulled. Has anyone here decided to buy a bag that has had external work done anyway and just went on to another non-Hermes-spa leather restorer to get the item restored?

Not only will Hermes not work on a bag that has been recoloured by a third party, but cracks in leather cannot be repaired. It's because the leather has dried out and will likely continue to get worse. Honestly I'd look for one in a better condition, I've been there with my first Kelly a few years ago, purchased at a 'bargain' price (comparatively) and in the long run you're better off waiting and finding something better. Just my opinion, but a bit of corner wear, scratched or tarnished hardware, resin a little split etc. are things that are likely to be repairable. Just get the leather in as good a condition as possible.. and get it authenticated first! Hope that helps :flowers:

Now, after those warnings, it would be a good idea to read the threads that are about things likely to interest you.
That way you will build up a bank of knowledge.
Knowledge is power. You get the feel of how experienced collectors think.
If in doubt - leave alone - however much of a bargain something might appear, another will inevitably come along.

Thank you all! Really appreciate the steer and will let it go :smile:
Your bag will find you.
Just don't panic buy, If something is a 'great price' be suspicious.
Ask lots of questions from the seller, ask for more pictures if needed.
An honest reputable seller will be happy to provide extra information and photos.
Try reputable sites like Fashionphile, Anns fabulous Finds, etc etc
I would personally avoid Ebay Facebook groups.
Depending on where you live remember to factor in import tax to the purchase price.
Good luck