Hermes Repair/Refurbish policy - Official Spa Thread

Hi everyone,

I sent my vintage Toile and Box Rouge vif Sellier K32 in for spa because the leather was dry and cracking in spots. I requested a new handle, new side straps and asked if anything could be done with the leather edging (please see photo with my badly drawn arrow, LOL). Unfortunately, when I picked her up only the handle and side straps were replaced and only those two items were documented on the request. I suppose it was a miscommunication. However, the SA said she didn't think the edging could be replaced because the bag would have to be reconstructed. Does anyone know if the edging can be replaced?

Leather edging.png

Hi everyone,

I sent my vintage Toile and Box Rouge vif Sellier K32 in for spa because the leather was dry and cracking in spots. I requested a new handle, new side straps and asked if anything could be done with the leather edging (please see photo with my badly drawn arrow, LOL). Unfortunately, when I picked her up only the handle and side straps were replaced and only those two items were documented on the request. I suppose it was a miscommunication. However, the SA said she didn't think the edging could be replaced because the bag would have to be reconstructed. Does anyone know if the edging can be replaced?

View attachment 5400267

It is a very attractive bag.

If an item is presented for spa, I believe the usual practice (regardless of any specific work you ask for at that point) is that the item is assessed and you are presented with a list of work deemed possible and necessary. When you accept the estimate you agree to whatever proposed work you wish to be carried out. If replacing the edging is not deemed necessary or possible it would not appear as an option.
Your SA was probably using her previous experience of how spa works when she gave you her opinion.

If you are near a store with an in-house artisan, you should return and make your specific request; you might get an immediate answer. Failing that it might have to be sent to Paris even for assessment.
Every bag will present in a different way and you cannot reliably transfer experiences.

It is a very attractive bag.

If an item is presented for spa, I believe the usual practice (regardless of any specific work you ask for at that point) is that the item is assessed and you are presented with a list of work deemed possible and necessary. When you accept the estimate you agree to whatever proposed work you wish to be carried out. If replacing the edging is not deemed necessary or possible it would not appear as an option.
Your SA was probably using her previous experience of how spa works when she gave you her opinion.

If you are near a store with an in-house artisan, you should return and make your specific request; you might get an immediate answer. Failing that it might have to be sent to Paris even for assessment.
Every bag will present in a different way and you cannot reliably transfer experiences.

Thank you so much for your reply! The bag was originally sent to Paris for the handle and side strap replacement so I suppose they didn't deem the edging as necessary. Most of the edging is in great condition. Only the portion at the top where it creases when opened is cracking. She is perfectly fine to use, I'm just trying to get her restored to her original beauty
I am close to NYC, which I believe at least one of the stores has an in-house artisan. So thank you for the suggestion! I will bring her back in the fall to see what they can do. Thanks again!

Reactions: Etriers
Just in case it is helpful in future to anyone searching I'm quoting my own post.

My bag was sent to Paris and good news! They will repair the interior seams (although I was told this was an exception so not sure if it's always the case) along with general clean / makeup (all resin needs replacing on the sangles and numerous other areas) a popped stitch on the handle and hot stamping my initials on the clochette.
Lead time was quoted as 12 weeks (better than I thought) and price quoted is £240 (also better than I thought :lol: )
Can't wait to get her back :yahoo:
Oh and they also confirmed she's Taurillon Clemence which is good because whilst I thought she was, she has a little veining so did wonder. This is what I love most about Hermes, knowing they'll almost always try to fix it :heart:

Hi everyone ! I brought my Kelly 28 to the store a while ago and I am still waiting on the quotation (some re-waxing on the sides and re-stitching and corner touch-up). Since it is a vintage Kelly, I was fine with the color of the hardware and some scratches on it & felt like it matched the patina of the bag. So, at the time I discussed this with my SA and although he deemed a hardware replacement possible, we decided against putting it on the request list for the Spa. After having some time to think about it, I now lean towards replacing the hardware. Since some re-stitching is being done anyways, they might also replace it now, so I don't have to send it in in a few years. Does anyone know if you can put in further requests at the time of the quotation? Also, can you ask for the ring that hold the handle in place to be replaced with the double d, which allows for a strap to be attached ?

Although the answers will be the same, it will probably be easier to amend what is done if there is an in-house artisan.
If that is the case and you are local you might be able to call in and find out.

Failing that you should receive an estimate for the work.
That would be the best time to make your request.
Even if you fear the bag might be away longer, in the grand scheme of things it won't be that long and you will probably regret it if you don't.

Changing the handle rings is just about the only change that can be made; it is considered an upgrade.

Reactions: Etriers
Forgive me if I'm asking a question that's already been answered somewhere within this 174 page thread. I live in the New York Metro Area, and have an Hermes Boutique close to my home. Does anyone know if a bag can be dropped off at a local Hermes Boutique to be sent to Hermes Madison for a spa treatment?

Yes, they will send it, BUT... if you can at all bring it in yourself, you will not only save up to months of time, but can communicate directly with the craftsperson. That in and of itself is not only really FUN, but you learn SO much. Plus the expectations of what can and cannot be done are clearly communicated in both directions, so there is no surprise at the end.

Thank you, nymeria. Several weeks ago I dropped a Birkin off at Hermes Madison for refurbishing. I met with an SA who whisked the bag to the back for evaluation by a craftsman after I specified what I would like to be done to the bag. It will be going to Paris for an estimated six month holiday. I have not yet heard from Hermes as to the repair cost or gotten confirmation of all the things that will be done to it. I now wish I'd given the SA this second bag that needs to have the corners touched up and maybe new hardware.

I think you're absolutely right that I should trek back to Manhattan and take it directly to Hermes Madison. An inconvenience, but probably the way to go. Again, thank you!

MillStream

Reactions: Etriers and nymeria
Good luck- Just walk up to the 3rd floor and wait outside the spa door. Usually someone is going in and out for other customers, but if not, just ask a SA if they could please get a craftsperson for you. I love talking to them, and honestly, they love to speak with clients who appreciate the workmanship and the brand, so they are usually happy to speak with you.
And if anyone tries to whisk your bag away, just nicely insist on seeing the craftsperson yourself. :graucho:

Hi everyone! I recently purchased this bag secondhand and tbh, the wear is higher than I had expected

I am confident that the spa can address the glazing issues but what about the scuffs on the Epsom leather and the ‘stretched out’ front panel? The bag kind of caves in when not filled and puffs out or has a wavy shape when filled…

Attachments

• 36321693-815B-43CC-86DA-97EAF3880893.jpeg
    36321693-815B-43CC-86DA-97EAF3880893.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 116
  • F6550D3C-CA5E-4AC9-AC94-5D5E80009F84.jpeg
    F6550D3C-CA5E-4AC9-AC94-5D5E80009F84.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 266FEAA2-9E42-4C44-BA8C-316CC7A1F122.jpeg
    266FEAA2-9E42-4C44-BA8C-316CC7A1F122.jpeg
    253.2 KB · Views: 124
Hi everyone! I am considering purchasing this barenia B but the listing says the leather has been “treated” (not painted or dyed). I assume it was some kind of waterproofing or some kind of treatment like that from the previous owner? Anyone know if this “treatment” of the leather will make it unable to go to the spa in the future?

Attachments

• F9B8AB96-371B-43C5-A7AA-2A569EADE11A.jpeg
    F9B8AB96-371B-43C5-A7AA-2A569EADE11A.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 52