Hermes Quality.... a step up from LV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmptrading

Apr 17, 2008
Hello,
I have always believed the following....
LV is the Rolex of handbags.....
Hermes is the Patek Philippe of handbags......

Opinions please.....

Is Hermes a big step up from LV?

Hermes quality is excellent, but that doesn't mean LV's is bad by default. Both companies have their share of popped stitches, defective hardware, and other faults. Overall though, I'd say both houses have a stronger tradition of quality than say Gucci, Prada, Dior, etc. In post-purchase care though, Hermes has a leg up because they can recondition their bags' leather, whereas LV can only fully replace the leather trim or restitch the bag.

I think both houses are steeped in craftsmanship and offer "bespoke" services.

LV targets the entire gamut of the population - and has products for almost every level of the population/customer base and can cater to the mass market without necessarily alienating/antagonizing its VIP customer (who go for the bespoke services/trunks and high end bags). This is somewhat of a mean feat in itself.
Hermes is more exclusive in its branding (although that seems to be changing somewhat) and the public image is not one to cater to "mass market".

My sense is that at the high end of LV versus Hermes, the quality will be there at both houses

cool question, before knowing about Hermes I tought LV quality was the best, I don't really know why Hermes is many many steps ahead from LV, like some posters say, I would really like to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.