Hermes Purchase Regrets

May 3, 2020
Hi - I have lately find myself listing after a Hermes handbag. I have previously never been a huge fan. I always wanted a Chanel handbag. I got one and now find myself looking at other brands, Hermes being one of them.
I have never previously purchased anything from Hermes. I am beginning to think of starting to build a relationship and buy a few things - btw, I’m still a long long way off from purchasing anything.

When I take a step back and think of the true value to get the bag (with the other purchases) I begin to think what if I have regrets and if I will have regrets from “playing the game”. Does Anyone have Hermes regret? Did you have regrets on playing the game or would do things slightly differently?

Sorry in advance if a similar thread exists (I searched but couldn’t find anything)

We have purchase regrets https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/the-unthinkable-hermes-bag-regrets.79162/ and another regrets of letting go but I don't think we have an Hermes behaviour regret thread

I don't think I have any regrets. I try to learn from my mistakes, and I won't buy sight-unseen from the website anymore. I returned something from h.com to the store for a credit note and it all seemed like a big hassle to me. Anyway, it all turned out well in the end so :drinks:

From the thread “maintaining relationship“ in Hermes Shopping sub-forum, it seems like the only regret people have is buying what they don’t love to appease their SA in hopes of getting offered a Birkin or a Kelly. As long as you buy what you truly love (and don’t go bankrupt while doing it), you shouldn’t have any regrets along the journey.

No regrets yet. So far everything I’ve bought leading to the purchase of the bag are items I’ve been wanting for a while now. I try not to get swayed or settle, even if it’s merely a different CW in a twilly or scarf I want, unless it catches my eye when I actually see it. You should also enjoy the journey, not get pressured along the way. Good luck on your adventures

Reactions: Etriers
My only regret is not getting started earlier. Besides my first LV bag, I have always bought my bags from the pre-loved market. And Hermes was just out of my price range. However, when I actually stepped foot into a store, I realised that their products were actually way below the listed prices in the reseller market. Now I'm addicted to H. I wish I had started earlier because the prices just keep going up every year.

From the thread “maintaining relationship“ in Hermes Shopping sub-forum, it seems like the only regret people have is buying what they don’t love to appease their SA in hopes of getting offered a Birkin or a Kelly. As long as you buy what you truly love (and don’t go bankrupt while doing it), you shouldn’t have any regrets along the journey.
+1.
but, i differ from many on TPF. I don’t generally fuss if a leather product isn’t symmetrical or has a microscopic issue. And while I have restarted buying at the boutique, I’m not in the market for quota bags. I have enough

I only buy if 1. I love it so much, I’d wear it out of the store and not want to take it off for about a week (for example, the H sellier cashmere leather bomber jacket) or 2. If I think I’d like to give it to my mom or perhaps one of my aunts (In other words, I have to have a strong idea of the recipient).

I do make multiple trips to think about Hermes lamps or furniture (with tape measure etc) (and consult with DH, the H Maison manager and the decorator), but when I see bags, RTW or fine jewelry, there is a click in my head that tells me whether it’s the one. (For RTW or fine jewelry, the H SA and DH are also quite opinionated, and sometimes I heed that advice.

I don’t second guess once something is bought, like should I have gotten it in a different color (I’m a neutral color heritage saddle leather person, so there are only so many options). You know when you know. Don’t overthink.

Last edited:
I have regretted the H bangles. Even though I liked the way they looked, I started to think that they were scratching the silk lining of my tweed jackets. I don’t buy bangles with the H on then anymore. I only buy smooth bracelets.

I don't have many purchase regrets but I have a big passed-over regret. In Tokyo, I was offered a Barenia 35 Birkin that I passed on because it was too heavy. I haven't stopped thinking about it since.

Last edited:
I have regretted the H bangles. Even though I liked the way they looked, I started to think that they were scratching the silk lining of my tweed jackets. I don’t buy bangles with the H on then anymore. I only buy smooth bracelets.

I don't have many purchase regrets but I have a big passed-over regret. In Tokyo, I was offered a Barenia 35 Birkin that I passed on because it was too heavy. I haven't stopped thinking about it since.
I have pass over regret for some items too! The barenia B35 sounds beautiful, though if you don’t carry it bc of weight, then it’s a decorator piece for your closet. . .

I never had designer anything until my 40’s. I had always loved bags, but never knew that designer brands existed. I had been busy with life, and the internet didn’t exist when I was younger. Once I learned about Louis Vuitton and came upon this site in 2009, I learned about Chloe, Balenciaga, Saint Laurent.... I eventually saw the Hermès Forum. Once I took a peek, I got hooked. My pocketbook regrets it haha, but I love my little collection.

Reasons that could lead to purchase regret: Buying Hermes when you can’t afford it. Buying Hermes on credit but you can’t pay off the bill. Buying Hermes instead of allocating the money to more critical expenses and then the inevitable happens. Buying Hermes out of pressure to please an SA but not really liking or wanting the item. Buying Hermes but never using what you purchased.

Hi - I have lately find myself listing after a Hermes handbag. I have previously never been a huge fan. I always wanted a Chanel handbag. I got one and now find myself looking at other brands, Hermes being one of them.
I have never previously purchased anything from Hermes. I am beginning to think of starting to build a relationship and buy a few things - btw, I’m still a long long way off from purchasing anything.

When I take a step back and think of the true value to get the bag (with the other purchases) I begin to think what if I have regrets and if I will have regrets from “playing the game”. Does Anyone have Hermes regret? Did you have regrets on playing the game or would do things slightly differently?

Sorry in advance if a similar thread exists (I searched but couldn’t find anything)
I'll add my thoughts on this for what its worth...You say you have never previously been a big fan of Hermes bags but you wanted a Chanel bag and now you have one you're looking at Hermes.
Reading between the lines is this because you feel Hermes is the next ultimate luxury bag brand to add to your collection?
echoing the others only buy what you love and if you've never previously hankered after a Hermes bag before you embark on costly journey ask whether the bags suit you? your life? your style?
It may be that you're more of a BV girl? or Fendi?
I speak as someone who has been in love with Hermes bags for over 30 years but due to not having the funds to invest (mortgage and other things took priority) I until recently brought other designer brand bags at a lower cost (mainly Celine but also Loewe and some early Marc Jacobs) I was never a fan of Chanel bags but only a few months ago saw a bag I liked at auction which happened to be Chanel.
Buy what you love buy what works for you and you will never regret-but dont buy anything because social media has convinced you that you 'should'

I'll add my thoughts on this for what its worth...You say you have never previously been a big fan of Hermes bags but you wanted a Chanel bag and now you have one you're looking at Hermes.
Reading between the lines is this because you feel Hermes is the next ultimate luxury bag brand to add to your collection?
echoing the others only buy what you love and if you've never previously hankered after a Hermes bag before you embark on costly journey ask whether the bags suit you? your life? your style?
It may be that you're more of a BV girl? or Fendi?
I speak as someone who has been in love with Hermes bags for over 30 years but due to not having the funds to invest (mortgage and other things took priority) I until recently brought other designer brand bags at a lower cost (mainly Celine but also Loewe and some early Marc Jacobs) I was never a fan of Chanel bags but only a few months ago saw a bag I liked at auction which happened to be Chanel.
Buy what you love buy what works for you and you will never regret-but dont buy anything because social media has convinced you that you 'should'

THIS!

Dear @Bookie2020, you should give yourself time to explore Hermès itself and see if it's a good fit for you and if you actually like what they offer. Are you buying as an investment, or as something you'd want to enjoy? If it's the former, then your co-spend is a necessary evil... but as someone recently pointed out here, the ROI on the bag itself is only about 2k.

If you actually like Hermès itself, let it charm you while only buying what you want and like. I always get a bit uncomfortable when I see talk of "the game" because it shouldn't feel like you're buying your way into a bag one unwanted SLG or trinket at a time. I've liked every single item that I bought... and returned the ones that I had second thoughts about, sometimes politely but ruthlessly so.

Also know that the biggest asset you have in getting a bag sooner rather than later is your actual interest in the house... and if that's the case, the only thing you should really shop for is an SA that you can form a trust relationship with, rather than someone who sees you as a walking credit card.

Saaaaaaaaaame. I still think about a pair of bags I was offered many decades ago, and which I turned down, and one I missed out on in the second-hand market recently. Oh well. As another poster said, c'est la vie :crybaby::lol: