hermes prices

I was recently able to meet a craftsman from H who makes Birkins, Jypsieres, croc items - a delightful French man who was on an exchange with the store I visit - he was with an SA here for a week and later on in the year, she will be going to Lyon in France to stay with him, visit the factory etc. Anyway, there was so much I wanted to ask him about everything to do with production (shame my French isn't up to scratch!) and I was surprised with a few things he said which differed with my understanding of H production. Even the SA was surprised (and she is experienced, worked at H for over 10 years).

I love H, don't get me wrong, but the "mythology" as Ammietwist puts it, DOES mean they are able to charge more than another retailer even taking into account the quality of skins etc.

Can you pls give us a bit of 'hint' as to the 'surprise' that you were referring to? :graucho:

I was recently able to meet a craftsman from H who makes Birkins, Jypsieres, croc items - a delightful French man who was on an exchange with the store I visit - he was with an SA here for a week and later on in the year, she will be going to Lyon in France to stay with him, visit the factory etc.

I believe I met the gentleman you mention also. Afterwards I thought what a wonderful company to offer such opportunities to their employees. Then I thought "So that's where the price increase is going". :lol:

Cynical, maybe. But in reality they can't afford to be opening all these new stores, as well as paying their staff to visit another country, without getting the money from somewhere.

If you consider what some brands charge for items that are lacking in quality, it doesn't seem that horrible. I've purchased items at LV in the 1,000-2,000 price range that discoloured within a year of use! That would not happen with similarly priced items at Hermes

I believe I met the gentleman you mention also. Afterwards I thought what a wonderful company to offer such opportunities to their employees. Then I thought "So that's where the price increase is going". :lol:

Cynical, maybe. But in reality they can't afford to be opening all these new stores, as well as paying their staff to visit another country, without getting the money from somewhere.

And dont forget they always have podium during Paris fashion week, and despite the massive demand (and increased premium) for hotels/flights to Paris by other international travellers, H manages to accomodate their global SMs for a week there! Oh no! Your cynicism is rubbing off! :graucho:

H-Cynics Unite. :biggrin:

I would imagine that they have a regular advance booking with a hotel for podium week. (probably book the whole hotel, or possibly even own it. lol) Again, though, this has to be paid for but without it we wouldn't get new stock.

And dont forget they always have podium during Paris fashion week, and despite the massive demand (and increased premium) for hotels/flights to Paris by other international travellers, H manages to accomodate their global SMs for a week there! Oh no! Your cynicism is rubbing off! :graucho: