HERMES newby... what should be my first H purchase?

joy&lv

Obsessed
O.G.
Mar 20, 2009
First of all... I am a little nervous posting on the HERMES forum. I have been reading various posts and educating myself in the reference HERMES library so I don't sound like a total idiot!

I think I am finally ready for my very first H purchase and I want it to be NEW and from the H boutique. I love pre-own bags but I want my FIRST to be NEW.

The closest H boutique in my area is in San Francisco, and being a stay home mom, going to SF is an annual treat for me. With the holidays coming near, my girlfriend and I are planning to do some shopping in SF.

So here is my thoughts on my first purchase. It is should be something iconic and clearly HERMES.

What should it be?
1) A Clover Lucky Charm. I will get to use it on ALL my handbags.
2) The New Libris Stole. Winter is coming so get it use it a lot.
3) The Evelyne III MM. It fits my handbag obsessions and practical for a mom of two.
4) Other suggestions.

I'd love to have a Birkin but I don't have any purchase history with the boutique/SA. Plus, it isn't practical for a mom of twins boys. (Cannot imagine sticking snacks and drinks into a new Birkin.) Maybe I will get to admire one, if one is on display when I go.

Thanks in advance for the advise... I AM SO EXCITED! :yahoo:

Well for a mother of two like my sister the best is a Kelly 35 or 40 goes out hanging on the strap she loves the look and it's a classic if not than the evelyne is great a wonderful practical bag but consider the Kelly there are a couple of threads around hope it helps darling and beware once you cross over to H you won't want others !

Hello Joy&LV... I have explored the H side just a month ago:confused1: But you will definitely love the ladies. Darling Birkel, Lune de Miel and other fabulous ladies would be very helpful in enabling:biggrin::biggrin:.

My original plan was to buy my first Birkin from a boutique but when I saw the Kelly in Rouge, I fell in love with it and took the plunge sooner than expected. I was fortunate because the bag is in mint condition at a very reasonable price.

Jmen's and some ladies' advice was to buy the one that takes your breath away... not permanently though..:greengrin:

Good Luck..

Well for a mother of two like my sister the best is a Kelly 35 or 40 goes out hanging on the strap she loves the look and it's a classic if not than the evelyne is great a wonderful practical bag but consider the Kelly there are a couple of threads around hope it helps darling and beware once you cross over to H you won't want others !

I think I am already there... I have looking at some high end LV's but all I could think of was "if I am going to spend THAT KIND OF MONEY, I should just buy HERMES."

Don't get me wrong, I still love my LV's but I think, I am ready for the NEXT STEP. :graucho:

Hello Joy&LV... I have explored the H side just a month ago:confused1: But you will definitely love the ladies. Darling Birkel, Lune de Miel and other fabulous ladies would be very helpful in enabling:biggrin::biggrin:.

My original plan was to buy my first Birkin from a boutique but when I saw the Kelly in Rouge, I fell in love with it and took the plunge sooner than expected. I was fortunate because the bag is in mint condition at a very reasonable price.

Jmen's and some ladies' advice was to buy the one that takes your breath away... not permanently though..:greengrin:

Good Luck..

I thought about the Kelly but I heard it has to be strapped and buckled closed for it to be carried by the handle. I am finding myself, leaving my handbags unzipped most of the time, so I can get in and out of it easily. But it is definitely more versatile because it include a shoulder strap. The pre-love price for Kelly seems to be a lot lower than Birkin. I might have to see it in person because I commit to it.

I have seen the Evelyne in person and it looks nicer in person than in pictures. So I feel safer making it one of my options.

I am very excited to be able to go to SF boutique and see the items in person.

your list details all different things at varying price points. it is very hard to tell you which is "better" as honestly, give it another 1 year, you will most likely get all of them :graucho:

i would suggest going to the store and just browse around before deciding to take the plunge for this first piece from the boutique. take in the store ambience and i've heard the staff in SF are very friendly, so it should be easy to browse around.

all the pieces you listed are also obtainable through hermes.com, so once you decide on one from SF, you can always get the rest either from hermes.com or thru your SA by mail!

good luck!

^^^ Great advice from hanyeu... i totally agree!
Also,i believe once you are there, you will know, whatever it may be ~ once you see it, you wont want to leave without it!! Good luck on your first H purchase :biggrin:

If a birkin isn't practical for your lifestyle I would say get a lindy! There is the shoulder option and you can hang it off your arm too. Very casual chic, and understated hermes luxe at its very best! But go to the store and take your time, you never know an unexpected item may just sing out to you and you will have no choice but to bring her home. Good luck in your decision! :smile:

Since you are thinking of a bag for casual toting, the Evelyne Gm is great for cross body, and the Garden Party is a favorite amongst members here too. The Double Sens has a thread started on it and is a simple tote that can be worn over the shoulder. I would opt for one of these bags first, if nothing sings to you, then an ExLibris stole you cannot go wrong with. Good luck and let us know what you decide upon! :flowers:

Welcome to the Forum!

May I suggest the Massai Cut as a wonderful Mommy-Of-Twins bag? It comes with two straps....one for the shoulder and one for cross-body. There's a zipper across the opening and a zip pocket inside.

I'm a HUGE fan of this casual but chic bag!

The ExLibris shawl (or scarf, even) is fabulous and will look great forever.
If you have the funds (and happen upon a birkin or a kelly) take the jump.....you will not regret it.
Trust me...the birkin makes the most fashionable "diaper bag" around and depending on the leather, can be pretty sturdy. I have one in clemence and one in togo and the togo is the way to go for a busy mom who plans to use the bag as a tote...also...get the 35cm.
If you see a kelly in a color/leather you love, you can always still carry it with the straps buckled, but the flap tucked in. You can easily get in and out of it like this.
Many people feel that the sellier in box is too dressy but I wore mine yesterday with the strap w/ boots,jeans and a sweater and it looked casual.
You are venturing into dangerous territory, my friend. It is a (deliciously) slippery slope and the "H" bug is highly addictive. That said, you will treasure everything forever and hopefully pass them along to your children someday.
Enjoy :smile:

your list details all different things at varying price points. it is very hard to tell you which is "better" as honestly, give it another 1 year, you will most likely get all of them

Oh, that is so true. It is pretty much my "priority wish list." I am pretty sure, I will have them all within the next six months.

i would suggest going to the store and just browse around before deciding to take the plunge for this first piece from the boutique. take in the store ambience and i've heard the staff in SF are very friendly, so it should be easy to browse around.

I am planning on taking a LONG TIME browsing at the boutique. But I want to have an idea, just in case, the SA ask me what I am interested in... want to be prepared.