Hermes 'new 15% duty/custom tax' on repair return.... outrageous !!!

Louis Vuitton refuses to send anything dropped off in Paris for repair back to the US to a boutique or the customer because of duties. You have to return to Paris to pick up the item.

I know Hermes does some repairs in their NY location. However, are all repairs now completed in-house or do they still send some bags back to France for repairs and ship it back once completed?

I know Hermes does some repairs in their NY location. However, are all repairs now completed in-house or do they still send some bags back to France for repairs and ship it back once completed?

I guess it depends on what is needed. I am in NY and personally bring spa pieces to Madison. I have had various things done from cleaning to repair to hardware replacement, and all were done in-house. I feel that unless I personally bring to Madison the boutique may send it to Paris, which takes much longer.

i believe they're giving you the heads up *in case* you do get charged duties by customs, who do not know the value of the item, and can only base any taxable amount on the declared value which will be written by FSH staff on the shipping label.
You need to just prove that the bag was already purchased in USA, that the original customs and duties have already been paid for, and this is simply a returning item from Europe. There are some forms to fill out and usually the home boutique fills this out on the declaration form for you when you send in your items for repair/spa, because they are acting on your behalf.
However in this situation, you are the importer and since no original paperwork was submitted, customs will basically assume that you didn't pay duties, unless proven otherwise. It shouldn't be that hard, but will require a lot of coordination, phone calls, and emails. Good luck.

Reactions: QuelleFromage
I agree with the above. With some bags being so hard to get and the used market being so active for H I bet some people ship bags across borders and label them as repairs to get away from duties and taxes. Likely customs now just intercept these packages and charge them as new regardless. My mom got charged duties for her purse as new even though it wasn't, just because she didn't bother to declare it before leaving the country... even though the customs had no proof... and that was in person, at the airport!

I read those messages from the SAs and they are not saying they will charge the duties at all. They are just saying customs will charge hefty fees and mentioned that you should find a friend to pick the bag up for you instead.

I'm still trying to understand this...the OP's first language is french, it's my second or third and by no means am I native fluent so I must have it wrong but it still just sounds like a warning ensuring H is not responsible for duties. The thread title seems alarmist. Anything shipped may incur duties and fighting that is hard.