Hermes, marketing and dating...

Well said Hello2703!!! Those friends of mine often are already married (for years) and have no idea! I too believe you have to like/love someone for who they are, and should not bank on changing them later, that simply ain't going to work! As they say "You can't teach old dogs new tricks!"

How often????....ALL the time. The guy I'm dating knows where he stands......and he stands just beyond the bags. Haha.....But seriously, I wouldn't want a guy who got scared off by my bags. If he thinks he has to maintain me, I doubt I'd be impressed with someone who can buy me a bag that I can already get by myself. Okay, okay, it WAS my ex and the current BH that bought me most of my H stuff but...., I would say, "No." to a guy who disapproved of my H bags. It's something I feel strongly about. My H bags set me apart from the rest of the pack in this lil' town. Sad and shallow, but nonetheless true.

Eric, you're one lucky guy to have such a great BH. Does he share your passion about H stuff as well??? Does he have a Birkin or two too?

^^^In my opinion, I believe you should be WHO YOU ARE, and not hide anything. If you have confidence and love your style and your bags, you will attract those type of men.

I'm pretty assertive and I knew I needed A MAN, a man stronger willed than me, if I was to marry. When I dated my hubby, he was from a town of 1,000. He was taught good tastes from his ex (probably have to thank her) :rolleyes: and from reading/research. Anyways, I had on my VERY nice watch and VERY nice CAR. He thought I was high maintenance, but I am pretty down to earth. We had the same tastes - likes and dislikes - and COMMUNICATED everything (still do). Fell in love and still going strong!

I believe COMMUNICATION is key to all relationships - doesn't matter what you wear, and you still need your HERMES if you have it:graucho:

Yes whoever said they will have to deal with eventually is 100% true.
Why waste your time on someone who won't appreciate your bags, or for that matter won't date them b/c you have them?
If you find a guy that even knows what H is snap him up, if anything, its fashion advice.
But I'm for taking the H bags on dates, why live a moment without it?

i agree with all the comments mentioned above.
Yes, i have to admit i am high maintenance but i can afford it by myself and if one day someone would like to live with me this is what he has to live with.
i also agree with NewHermesLover, you will attrack those guys who appreciate nice things in life and doesnt take it as wasted money....
Please dont change anything, you are a great person as you are!

Be yourself, he will have to deal with who you really are eventually. Do you want a guy who is opposed to Hermes bags? I think not. Carry the bag!

Well said golconda! One of the great qualities of the "one" is their acceptance for who you are. It takes too much time and wasted effort not being yourself.

Before my DH proposed my dad talked with him. You would think it would be the take care of my daughter spiel, but it was the opposite. It was, "While I think you know all my daughter's good qualities, you should know some of her lesser qualities: she spends a lot and she's messy." Nice eh? DH married me anyways, but it's great that all that info is out there so he can't plead ignorance. ;)

^^^That's so funny Orchid...about your dad telling your hubby about your "other" QUALITIES!!:nuts: My mom still does this everytime she comes and visits or talks to hubby on the phone, but she is happy for me, b/c of the COMMUNICATION part.:heart:

I would wear them. Altering ones appearance or conduct on a date just leads to problems down the road when the person finally meets the real person. Better to be honest up front and you'll probably be respected as a person of distinguished taste.

I would wear whatever bag is appropriate for the date but I probably wouldn't go for the most expensive bag I have on the first date. Give the poor man some hope :lol:

The thing is: I am high maintenance... and I would want a guy that can "spoiled" me, or afford me :graucho:

If they're not intimidated by me, they're either well off OR they are money-grabber (Well I've met with this kind of guy before, and thank God I realized it before it's too late!!!)...

So now I'm extra careful... But you wouldn't be scared right if your own boyfriend's mom is wearing Hermes too or other designer stuff... It gets me thinking "maybe she'll pass one Birkin down for me," but my other greedy self also thinks "I want all my mom's H-stuffs to be passed down ONLY TO ME"

LOL... Thank goodness.. My brothers are all still relatively young... and not getting married anytime soon. Hopefully their future wives are nice people that I want to share my mom's H-stuffs with them.

This is a great thread and it really hits home for me, the single girl that I am. I am fairly upfront about my Hermes habit and my love for nice clothes, etc. If that is an issue for a man, we probably have bigger fish to fry.....It shouldn't be problem, I certainly am not asking anyone to buy me a Birkin. So I don't feel that me carrying them should bother my dates, but, hey I am still VERY single, so what do I know? :smile:

we had a similar thread about taking Hermes on job interviews. i was very adament about being true to yourself and if your boss can't acccept your flipping bag then he/she can go shove it. perhaps not the desperate persons way to keep a job, but i think its certainly the wisest and best for your soul and peace of mind. im even MORE adament about keeping it real with a SO (not special order, ladies- significant other! lol)
if a purse or a lifestyle or your love for nice things makes someone seriously think twice about seeing you, it's just not going to work out. i'm with someone with less money than I have and from a different background and upbringing, but there is no threat there. DG only wishes she were able to provide me with the Birkins instead of me buying them myself. And DG is working towards that. But she also knows I don't care if she buys these big things. I just want her to be happy and I like buying things for myself anyway (the point is I have it, right!? :smile:
Anyway, make your aim to find someone secure and weed out all the insecure ones. Your Hermes will aide in this and you shoud thank it for doing so. You'll be so much more fulfilled in the long run.

Croissant, that is so very sweet of your SO :flowers: and you're right, the only thing is that you're both happy with the situation.

On the long run, I agree with you that being true to oneself is the most important thing in the world. However, interviews and first dates are places where you're playing a professional/social game that has certain rules.

If I had a choice between an exotic skin or a leather, I'd go for leather because like it has been said before, people are weird about money/expensive things sometimes and can get a bad first impression. It would be a shame to be judged on stuff. It would be my choice not to wear a recognisable bag on a first date (and booooy, has H got a good selection of other bags :graucho:) but if you have the confidence to do otherwise, kudos to you and it's something I admire. :flowers: