Hermes lizard source and CITES - endangered or threatened?

simurgh

O.G.
Jul 28, 2008
Hi all -
Apologies if this has been posted before - I've searched for quite a while and can't find the answer, but may have missed it.

I'm looking at buying something in lizard, but don't want to buy a species that is endangered/threatened (no judgment, it's just not for me). Of the CITES-covered species, I'd only be ok with something that fell into Appendix IIB (below).

Does anyone know where the lizard Hermes uses falls in this? Is ombre different from other lizard colors (it seems to come with CITES certs more often)?

Actual CITES text:
1. Appendix I shall include all species threatened with extinction which are or may be affected by trade. Trade in specimens of these species must be subject to particularly strict regulation in order not to endanger further their survival and must only be authorized in exceptional circumstances.

2. Appendix II shall include:
(a) all species which although not necessarily now threatened with extinction may become so unless trade in specimens of such species is subject to strict regulation in order to avoid utilization incompatible with their survival; and

(b) other species which must be subject to regulation in order that trade in specimens of certain species referred to in sub-paragraph (a) of this paragraph may be brought under effective control.​
3. Appendix III shall include all species which any Party identifies as being subject to regulation within its jurisdiction for the purpose of preventing or restricting exploitation, and as needing the co-operation of other Parties in the control of trade.

thank you!

ombre comes more often since its obvious by color and pattern shape that it is i fact an exotic. that is what i have been told but........ i have to say its not endangered darling both types of lizzard come from farms they are specifically directed for these purposes and if anyone is careful about the correct use and management of exotics its H !!! hope it helps.birkel.

ombre comes more often since its obvious by color and pattern shape that it is i fact an exotic. that is what i have been told but........ i have to say its not endangered darling both types of lizzard come from farms they are specifically directed for these purposes and if anyone is careful about the correct use and management of exotics its H !!! hope it helps.birkel.

Super, thank you - I wouldn't have felt comfortable buying if they were wild or endangered! :ty: