Hermes Kelly 32 Advice (Would like to buy pre-owned)

marbella8

O.G.
Jan 27, 2009
Hello Everyone!

I am a buyer of mostly YSL and some Chanel bags, and some Prada and Gucci. As I am getting older, I find myself wanting to purchase an Hermes. I went to the store about a couple years back, and was there with good timing and got to try this gorgeous Kelly 32 Retourne, with Palladium hardware, in a dark, dark brown, but not a yellow/orange brown color, but more like a grey brown, if that makes sense. Anyhoo, the price at the time I believe was in the $9000 range. I thought I was a bit too young to be spending that much on a bag. However, since then, I have been looking at some consignment stores off and on and ebay to see if I find something I like, but hoping to find one in the $5000 range.

Here are my questions:

(1) Is it reasonable to spend that much on a pre-owned? I know a couple years ago, I saw a lot better deals online, but not anymore?

(2) I live in Orange County, California, and have come across a few pre-owned Hermes Kellys at consignment shops in LA and San Diego.

However, because of the quality of fakes being made, I can not pull the trigger and buy one, because it is so much money to put on the line, while at the same time, I don't want to spend $10,000 on a brand new one at Hermes.

I know exactly what I want, Hermes Kelly 32 in Clemence or Togo, only in Retourne, in black or pewter hues, hardware, I am open to it. What I wish I could do, was be more informed on how to spot obvious signs of a fake. I can totally spot a fake YSL or Chanel, since I have enough where I know the quality, the markings, how the serial numbers must look, etc., but with Hermes, I am at a loss.
Could anyone please advise me? I know people on here are weary because there are so many scammers trying to get info on here, but truly, if any of you live in the OC/SD/LA area, I would be happy to meet up with you and buy you lunch (Marche Moderne anyone, :P) and you can judge for yourself that I am just an honest person trying to get advice on buying a Kelly for a good price, and wanting to be armed with some knowledge of what an obvious fake is.

Anyhow, please let me know if you have any advice regarding my price expectations, and if anyone would be willing to advise me on authentication tips. Thanks so much in advance.

So surprised, no responses? I have been on bedrest, since yesterday, so I figured I have a couple graduate degrees, I can figure out some basics, so I think after looking at photo after photo, I have learned some basics, and then after that, to make sure, I need to take the bag I purchase to South Coast's Hermes and drop it off for a spa treatment just to be 100% sure it is authentic. So, here are my updated questions, as opposed to the advice on authenticity:

(1) Does South Coast Plaza have craftsmen on site, or should I go elsewhere, in terms of asking if I need the bag to go to the spa, and therefore hopefully verifying authenticity?

(2) Any opinions on if it is reasonable to expect to find a Kelly Togo or Clemence Retourne (32, although after looking at modeling pics, I think I could even do a 28) for around $5000?

TIA again :smile:

Kellys are going quite high now at resale. You may find a bag in that price range but I am guessing it wouldn't be that easy.

I believe you could drop a bag at SCP but the craftsman is at the BH store and it would be sent there.

Thanks so much mistikat, I am in LA for work all the time, so I can drop it off at the BH store.

Re price, I am so bummed, I saw an Indigo Kelly Clemence or Togo (can't remember) 2 or 3 years back at a store in LA, that went for close to $4000, and the owner was great, was willing to give me time to make sure it was authentic, but I figured I'd wait to find a color I would use more (navy and brown purses have never been practical for me, even though I find them beautiful, I never use them). I never thought the prices would shoot up so fast, considering the economy hasn't recovered?! Oh well, I'll have to wait and find what I know I will use, and it is worth it to pay more, since I'll actually use it:smile:

Thanks again.

Kellys are going quite high now at resale. You may find a bag in that price range but I am guessing it wouldn't be that easy.

I believe you could drop a bag at SCP but the craftsman is at the BH store and it would be sent there.

I've noticed that all resale Hermes bags have gone up in price in the last year, but especially Kellys and Birkins. It's possible you may find something in your price range, but you may have to compromise in terms of wear or colour or leather. You might want to get in touch with some of the trustworthy resellers to let them know what you are looking for and your price range. Sam at Hautegallery (he is in the LA area, too) is very good, as are many others (Kaleidoplace, sandiaexchange). That may be your best bet.

Thanks for the names of the re-sellers. I had read on sandiaexchange's ebay page that s/he is in OC, I believe the Anaheim area. I'll email or call them and let them know what I'm looking for, and wait :smile:

I've noticed that all resale Hermes bags have gone up in price in the last year, but especially Kellys and Birkins. It's possible you may find something in your price range, but you may have to compromise in terms of wear or colour or leather. You might want to get in touch with some of the trustworthy resellers to let them know what you are looking for and your price range. Sam at Hautegallery (he is in the LA area, too) is very good, as are many others (Kaleidoplace, sandiaexchange). That may be your best bet.

I think with any seller, you have to look at each bag individually for condition, price, authenticity, customer service.

Suggest you do a search (here and on Google) on anyone you are thinking of buying from, OP. Always good to know as much as possible about your vendor, especially when it is a high value transaction.

Hi dbeech,

Thanks so much, that leather looks a lot like Clemence or Togo, is it? What is the difference? I really like it. I had heard that mimiaction colors their bags at times?

Very nice condition for an older piece though. I will email them and see if it was colored?

Ardennes (sorry I can't even remember the correct spelling) has not been made for a long time. I used to have a green (maybe vert fonce) kelly in this leather. It is soft to the touch, but holds its shape better than most soft leathers. In my experience, it doesn't get that slouchy appearance that a lot of soft leathers do.

HermesNuttyNut (love the name, btw!)- thanks for letting me know your Kellys have been fine.

I looked up the photos of the Ardennes leather and I really like it, the difference I see in the photos with the Ardennes versus the Togo or Clemence is the Ardennes looks more firm, and not as soft or slouchy. Is that the difference between Ardennes leather and Togo or Clemence? I love the softness of the latter two, which I have held and tried on in the store, and the fact that scratches and wear and tear won't show as easily on them. Is the Ardennes soft and won't show scratches and wear and tear as well?

Also, I did a search for "spa time" and from what I read spa treatments can take 4 or 6 months?! Yikes. Is that right?

Lastly, what if I buy one with rubbed corners, will spa get those to look new-ish?

I also had a question regarding the stamp on the Hermes plate, but don't want to post it here, so scammers can't read the answer, can I PM you mistikat? Thanks.

I am guessing this is what you are referring to:

http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes/urgent-question-589916.html

The ability to fix rubbed corners depends on the leather and how bad the wear is. The embossed leathers, like epsom, cannot be fixed very much. Others can be if the wear is not too significant. Yes, it can take as long as six months for a spa repair, depending, but since you are near a craftsman, it shouldn't take that much time.

I have an ardennes HAC and it is a great leather.. I haven't owned the bag for long but it is more than 10 years old and still looks near new.. The leather is quite resistant to scratches and very hardy..

Good luck finding your kelly.. it is still possible to get one in good condition for about $5k.. I recently purchased a retourne box kelly for just under $4k, it just takes lots of patients and constant checking of reseller websites and ebay