Hermes is coming to Portland!

what? that will be insane, of all the cities, I am not sure I would rank Portland top of the list for Hermes...
Oh I’m interested in why not. Proximity to Seattle and SF and all of the tech nomads moving seem to make it make perfect sense but maybe I’m thinking about it the wrong way. What other cities are lacking in the US where it makes sense? Maybe Austin but I thought they were getting one as well. Phoenix? Nashville? Beyond that I can’t think of another city that could support it and I think those two probably have similar draw with maybe Phoenix edging out.

Reactions: mariatd
I wonder which hotel?! Honestly surprises me too, given the tech $$$ is more north and south of there. Portland is not really a dress up place.. like at all. No sales tax on Hermes purchases would be *amazing.* Hoping this is accurate and comes to be!

Reactions: lalame and Maedi
Oh I’m interested in why not. Proximity to Seattle and SF and all of the tech nomads moving seem to make it make perfect sense but maybe I’m thinking about it the wrong way. What other cities are lacking in the US where it makes sense? Maybe Austin but I thought they were getting one as well. Phoenix? Nashville? Beyond that I can’t think of another city that could support it and I think those two probably have similar draw with maybe Phoenix edging out.

Have you been to Portland recently? I agree it's a strange choice for H.

Also, Scottsdale is slated to get an Hermes store. They have been pushing back the date forever now, but eventually apparently it's coming.

Hahaha Portland culturally is very quirky. Lots of artists and creatives and it's not a very showy city in terms of designer labels (you're better off showing your tattoo and homemade clothes). I don't mean anything negative by it, it's a very cool and progressive city, but I am not sure it fits with Hermes' more traditional and status-inducing reputation. I think the tech people who enjoy Portland are not the people would enjoy Hermes IMO

But the tax free element will be amazing

LOL to be clear, I don't think Hermes is banking on Portland's tried and true citizens to be carrying the store. Like I said, to the very near North and somewhat further South you have a ton of money coming in and we like to travel, particularly for a deal that could potentially mean thousands of dollars in savings. Scottsdale is a perfect choice. I definitely see Nashville as a viable option in a few years.
Have you been to Portland recently? I agree it's a strange choice for H.

Also, Scottsdale is slated to get an Hermes store. They have been pushing back the date forever now, but eventually apparently it's coming.

LOL to be clear, I don't think Hermes is banking on Portland's tried and true citizens to be carrying the store. Like I said, to the very near North and somewhat further South you have a ton of money coming in and we like to travel, particularly for a deal that could potentially mean thousands of dollars in savings. Scottsdale is a perfect choice. I definitely see Nashville as a viable option in a few years.

Haha… would agree with you there!! Gosh I grew up in the PNW and even then, Portland citizens wouldn’t exactly be knocking down H’s door. :lol:

I agree with you also that Nashville would be a great choice! Still maybe a little transitional IMO but really killing it. Gosh I always have fun in that city. Would be amazing if they had an H in the future.

I wonder if they chose Portland thinking that it is tax-free and a big enough city with some nice restaurants etc for people on a trip to their remote H boutique to enjoy. Figuring that a significant portion of their core clients would be fly-in clients. I think many people use the Vegas boutiques in a similar way, though of course there is more to do there. Maybe more like Denver, I think a lot of members shop there remotely/fly in, and both cities offer good skiing nearby in the winter and mountain getaway vacations in the summer. They will get a lot of clientele from Seattle/Bellevue and from Northern CA, as these locations are fairly competitive and are extremely close to Portland. Seattle/Bellevue is my store, and it is much more competitive now than it used to be, because many clients are coming from the Vancouver, BC area to make Bellevue their home store because Vancouver is extremely competitive. For new clients in Bellevue, it seems quite hard to get a quota bag, so many may give Portland a try as their home store instead. Multiply this by xxx for Northern CA.

I wonder if they chose Portland thinking that it is tax-free and a big enough city with some nice restaurants etc for people on a trip to their remote H boutique to enjoy. Figuring that a significant portion of their core clients would be fly-in clients. I think many people use the Vegas boutiques in a similar way, though of course there is more to do there. Maybe more like Denver, I think a lot of members shop there remotely/fly in, and both cities offer good skiing nearby in the winter and mountain getaway vacations in the summer. They will get a lot of clientele from Seattle/Bellevue and from Northern CA, as these locations are fairly competitive and are extremely close to Portland. Seattle/Bellevue is my store, and it is much more competitive now than it used to be, because many clients are coming from the Vancouver, BC area to make Bellevue their home store because Vancouver is extremely competitive. For new clients in Bellevue, it seems quite hard to get a quota bag, so many may give Portland a try as their home store instead. Multiply this by xxx for Northern CA.

Interesting perspective here. It hadn’t occurred to me as I don’t consider Portland to be a destination.
My home store is in Vegas and is considered to have a largely transient clientele. I wonder if H is savvy enough to understand that remote clients could be enticed by the lack of sales tax in OR. The tax savings can really add up for larger spenders. Maybe H realizes that the locals may not exactly flock, but others from out of town could.