Hermes Replacement Bag Straps

The special handle Kelly is entirely separate from the straps, they really have nothing to do with each other... every runway there are special bags and these were photographed with a few of the RTW looks. Hermes uses a motif across many categories on it's items for a season. Examples of bags...

Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 5.40.08 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 5.38.00 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 5.40.02 PM.png

I'm probably in the minority here but I wasn't a fan of when H started to put the rings on the tabs of the Kelly to attach the strap.
I understand the appeal & of course "hands free" but prefer to carry my K bag as hand held...
Since most of my bags are vintage I prefer that look so for me the straps don't have much appeal.

I really love the simple custom canvas straps that H makes for me. It is so lovely when the craftsman measures to fit, sends the order to Paris for the exact leather to match your vintage or new bag, and then presents them to me to check for fit. It is so old world, charming and feels quite special that H takes care of me as a customer. I think having a few custom bags with handles or the cool rocobar straps that come with kellys or evis are fun and add to the offering. I support innovation as well as the tradition and heritage of h designs.

I really love the simple custom canvas straps that H makes for me. It is so lovely when the craftsman measures to fit, sends the order to Paris for the exact leather to match your vintage or new bag, and then presents them to me to check for fit. It is so old world, charming and feels quite special that H takes care of me as a customer. I think having a few custom bags with handles or the cool rocobar straps that come with kellys or evis are fun and add to the offering. I support innovation as well as the tradition and heritage of h designs.

I would love the experience of designing my H strap from the available options they're showing, I think it's going to be harder to sell them since they are all so different and variable, my SM wished she could just offer them as create your own!

Reactions: prepster

Hi lanit :wave:, So interesting! :graucho: Jumping over to the Evelyne thread, to ask you about this, there!

Reactions: prepster
The special handle Kelly is entirely separate from the straps, they really have nothing to do with each other... every runway there are special bags and these were photographed with a few of the RTW looks. Hermes uses a motif across many categories on it's items for a season. Examples of bags...

View attachment 3622472 View attachment 3622473 View attachment 3622474
Gosh i love that first kelly, Mrs.O. That is such a perfect combination of creative artistry and barenia. A dream bag for sure.

I wish H would stop chasing trends or trying to be trendy and concentrate on some originality. e.g. if those straps were to have H silk print on, such as the twillys, then they may attract me more.

I actually thought the same, they have such original and beautiful silk prints that they could easily adapt and transform in straps - it would chase a trend but remain Hermès. From my side I am not appealed by those straps, as it has been already mentioned they look too much like the Fendi ones... and quite frankly, I don't even want to know how much they will retail for...

...Those Kelly's on the other hand are very beautiful and those patterned handles :heart::heart::heart::heart:

Reactions: nicole0612
I am so going to Etsy and designing my own straps :P

Hi QuelleFromage - I share the same sentiment and Etsy will be my stop for these straps. The price of these new straps are outrageous, no matter which brand is purchased. I can only imagine the cost of these Hermes.

By any chance, do you know any good artisans on Etsy that can custom make a strap? Thank you!!!

I'm probably in the minority here but I wasn't a fan of when H started to put the rings on the tabs of the Kelly to attach the strap.
I understand the appeal & of course "hands free" but prefer to carry my K bag as hand held...
Since most of my bags are vintage I prefer that look so for me the straps don't have much appeal.

The rings for attaching straps are a great addition. They are very discreet do not have to be used.
Shoulder straps for Kellys have been available for many years and having a proper fixing must
prevent wear to the base of the handle and also provide a better weight distribution across the top of the bag.

The rings for attaching straps are a great addition. They are very discreet do not have to be used.
Shoulder straps for Kellys have been available for many years and having a proper fixing must
prevent wear to the base of the handle and also provide a better weight distribution across the top of the bag.

Kelly bags initially were available without the rings. The rings were a later addition. I'm not fond of a
shoulder strap & it comes down to personal preference.
( For me if the strap is not attached to the rings, the rings are not as discreet as one might think they are)

Last edited:
I agree with heifer that it would be amazing if H made special straps from their scarf patterns. This would be a great idea for Petit H. I would absolutely buy one or two of those for my kellys. That being said, I am very excited about the new canvass straps and would love to explore those, too.

Yeah. I like the black kelly in the pic too because the handle is a compliment vs a contrast....the main color is still black. I'm not into the other two with the contrasting handles.

But what are those weird dots that look like stains on the handle anchors? A Kelly should be made funky by its owner, I agree with you and Monceau and some others here- these bags take away from the classic look of the Kelly and H. I feel like H is becoming a follower of a brand with these things and I don't like it at all personally.

Kelly bags initially were available without the rings. The rings were a later addition. I'm not fond of a
shoulder strap & it comes down to personal preference.
( For me if the strap is not attached to the rings, the rings are not as discreet as one might think they are)

Agreed, I prefer the pre-2000 lines of a Kelly without double rings. It's personal preference :smile:

I don't understand why they don't have adjustable straps?! I am with you, I would much rather have my own straps made, the way I like them at a lower price.

Probably some/all of the straps can be shortened as with any H strap. i actually like the clean lines of a non-adjustable strap (and the buckle on the Evelyne strap is uncomfortable for me) but that requires committing to wearing the strap at a certain length. The good thing is - if a strap is, say, $75, you can buy a few lengths. if it's $1700....not so much :P

But what are those weird dots that look like stains on the handle anchors? A Kelly should be made funky by its owner, I agree with you and Monceau and some others here- these bags take away from the classic look of the Kelly and H. I feel like H is becoming a follower of a brand with these things and I don't like it at all personally.
"A Kelly should be made funky by its owner" - love this! For me, the Fendi straps or Minkoff straps or new H straps, none of them are my style, so I prefer to design my own.
At the moment, I don't have a Kelly that I would use an alternate strap with, but I'm picking up a noir SO this month, so I'm working on a design idea for that. I'll update if I have any success :biggrin:

^^Have been a long time admirer of the H K32 Barenia Amazon Couverture Horse Print Bag. I think it is the most beautiful Kelly and really speaks to the heritage and tradition of H. An absolutely incredibly designed Kelly and I wish that I had been on the Wait List for this ~ unfortunately my love of all things H started after it was released. Now, they are rarely on the market and are truly unicorns.

Still, the new H straps are a no for me for all the reasons stated earlier.