Hermes Hearts and Crafts video

Sus

O.G.
Sep 21, 2006
Hermès bares all through luxury craftsmenship microsite, feature film
By Kayla Hutzler
January 5, 2012

Hermés' microsite
French fashion empire Hermès has created a microsite called Hearts and Crafts that showcases the detailed craftsmanship and quality of its products through inside glimpses into the making of its branded products.

The Hermès Hearts and Crafts site features videos and interviews with the designers and employees behind the brand, from leather-cutters to silk-drawers. The Web site also features a full-length movie that was first shown in select movie theaters and museums this past fall.

“Through this new site, Hermès provides glimpses into their company and how their products are hand-produced,” said Dalia Strum, president of Dalia Inc., New York.

“More importantly, they are giving a voice to the craftsmanship of how Hermès is actually created,” she said. “It’s inspirational, as each worker truly has a passion for their vocation.”

Ms. Strum is not affiliated with Hermès , but agreed to comment as a third-party expert.

Hermès did not respond by press deadline.

Starring role
The microsite can be found at http://hermesheartsandcrafts.net and is divided into four sections: The Film, The Craftsmen, The Visitor’s Book and Scheduling.

Hermès also gives site visitors a chance to change the language of the site in the upper-right-hand corner.

The welcoming page features the title of the site, a subtitle that reads “the people that make Hermès” and an invitation to watch the feature film, which was created by Frédéric Laffont and Isabelle Dupuy-Chavanat.

The film is 48-minutes-long and spends about five to eight minutes each with various Hermès employees.

A leather cutter is featured in the video
A majority of the employees speak in their native French language and describe how they arrived at Hermès while going through their daily tasks. The video includes subtitles.

The video contains a sharing icon that lets viewers post the video to Facebook and Twitter or email it to friends.

The Hermès video played from August-November last year in more than 20 cities including Milan, Tokyo and New York.

Smooth selling
Hermès’ Hearts and Crafts microsite also contains a tab dedicated to 10 of the behind-the-scenes employees of the brand.

The workers include a leather cutter, a saddler, a jeweler, two leather craftsmen, a polisher, two glass-makers, a drawer on silk objects and a colorist.

Elise is a colorist for the brand
Each craftsmen has his or her own page within the tab that displays a picture and short text as well as a video.

The videos are one-and-a-half minutes long and highly serious. They explain what makes that individual so dedicated to their job at Hermès and how they became employed there.

The microsite also features a Visitors’ Book section.

Under this tab, Web site visitors can share their thoughts and opinions on the microsite content, the feature film and the Hermès brand.

Hermès has been pushing the microsite though their Facebook page by posting links to the page and to the film.

Opening up the world of Hermès and showing the time, dedication and passion that is necessary to make the products helps Hermès defend its luxury status and explain its high-prices.

“It’s important for luxury brands to provide behind-the-scenes glimpses to truly appreciate the heart, soul and craftsmanship that goes into each individual item,” Ms. Strum said.

“In terms of Hermès’ luxury aspect, being able to actually see each item being handcrafted as opposed to manufactured in a factory, increases their individual value,” she said. “They are truly artistic pieces, created from the genuine passion of each artisan.”

Final Take
Kayla Hutzler, editorial assistant on Luxury Daily, New York

Kayla Hutzler is an editorial assistant on Luxury Daily. Her beats are automotive, consumer electronics, consumer packaged goods, financial services, media/publishing, software and technology, telecommunications, travel and hospitality, real estate, retail and sports. Reach her at [email protected].

I watched the video. Interesting how all the workers say they love their jobs. It makes me wish I became a craftsperson.

Of course, the greatest perk is to be a craftsman at Hermes. ;)

now i understand why hermes products are SO overpriced, and now i appreciate the art of it.... best 45 min reading session ever, drooling over the kellys :biggrin: and the saddles :biggrin: etc... now i want to get a horse just so i can purchase a hermes saddle for it ;) great video and very inspirational :biggrin: