Hermès Gold : 30 or 35 ?

crystal3180

Mar 29, 2009
Hello.
First, sorry for my bad english (I am french).

So I would like to buy a gold birkin hermes but I don't know which size to choose : 30 or 35.

What advise me you ?

Thank you very much.

hello there! the knowledgeable ladies here would be able to help you better if you tell us:

1. your height

2. the purpose of your bag, i.e. would you be using it just as a handbag? or do you want something that you can use to carry documents and laptop, too?

3. are you located near a Hermès store?

Welcome to TPF :o)
35cm Birkins are great if you want a Tote bag look and need to carry a lot,they are kind of heavy even empty...the look is tres chic on most people of various ht and wt
30cm Birkins are nice if you want a casual handbag with tote styling ad you need to carry only essentials (cell phone,wallet,small note book,pen,mirror comb,lipstick,powder compact) ,they are much lighter than the 35cm if you do a lot of walking you might prefer this size to the 35cm. Both are wonderful bags :o)

thank you for your answer.

1. my height : 163 cm or 64.17 pouces inches ?

2. It will be usually use like a handbag but sometimes to carry documents.

3. I am located near 2 hermès store but no one have a birkin in store.

thank you

Hi crystal,
I had this same dilemma as have many of the folks on the forum. I'm 5'3" and about a size 2. I can probably get away with either size. The 30 looks like a ladylike handbag on me and the 35 looks like a tote. I prefer the weight of the 30 but the look of the 35 so I have decided to go with the 35 size. There are a couple threads on here with me carrying the 30 and the 35 so that you can see how it looks on me. If you are interested, let me know and I'll search for those threads.

I would say that you could go either way. I'm 1.68 and prefer the 35. Since you say that you sometimes will carry documents I would recomend the 35 since the 30 can be a bit to small for documents. Good luck in your search

Thank you very much for your answer.

Hi crystal,
I had this same dilemma as have many of the folks on the forum. I'm 5'3" and about a size 2. I can probably get away with either size. The 30 looks like a ladylike handbag on me and the 35 looks like a tote. I prefer the weight of the 30 but the look of the 35 so I have decided to go with the 35 size. There are a couple threads on here with me carrying the 30 and the 35 so that you can see how it looks on me. If you are interested, let me know and I'll search for those threads.

Yes I'm interested !!! thanks

crystal3180--

Can u go to a shop and "try on" and 30cm vs. 35cm in a light or neutral tan/brown color? I think that would help solve this dilemma.

for your height, as some have said earlier, either size would work. Oh, sorry; I just read that nearby shops do not have any Birkins to try on.

you mentioned you might need it to carry documents. If that is a key feature for you, then based on that requirement, I would go w/ the 35cm. the 30cm is too small to carry A4 sized documents. (in fact, you might have to fold the papers a very tiny amount in order to fit into a 35cm)

also, if this is to be your 1 and only H bag, I would recommend you get gold hardware--it has less contrast than silver, and it adds a rich touch that I just don't know how else to describe. I prefer silver with cooler colors. Gold is a rich, warm cognac brown, which I think harmonizes better w/ gold than with silver.

good luck and happy contemplating!

I know a lot of ladies rock the 30, but IMO the 35 is the classic size!

Lulilu I totally agree. I'm only 5'2" and the 30 looked so, so, so dainty. Is that the word I'm looking for? On me, it just looked okay. When I tried on a 35 it was like the sun was shining, the angels sang and the heavens opened! :nuts: Trying a bag on was truly eye opening. If you are only going to buy one Birkin try to find someone who will let you try it on or find another bag designer who makes a purse that is equivalent in size.

Rockerchic your DD is soooo cute!!