Hermes Girls: What type luggage?

I travel so little that last year, while awaiting our luggage at the airport, it went round and round and round and I didn't recognize it lol!! DH was not impressed with me!

oooh i forgot to say how i mark my luggage.. i have two reflectors attached to the top handle, one in the shape of a ghost and one round with a hole in the middle (they sell those in finland and that particular one has lifesaver written on it and the year it was made, i'm sure nola knows them), even though i know my suitcase from other identical tumis i like to have something on it so other people know it's not theirs!

I check in my huge samsonite. Carry on, I use a big black leather coach bag (only because it fits my laptop and other knick-knacks) and a Sherpa to carry my dog in!! She goes on vacation with me all the time...the best travelling buddy EVER! :yes:

Addicted, I wound up buying a 26" for domestic travel--I travel between coasts and usually make two pit stops--one in LA to drop off DD with my parents and the other to go back East with DH and we usually stay for over a week and spend time in LA beforehand so the weather plays a huge factor in what I pack--sometimes I find that I bring things for two seasons on one trip. I wear a coat boarding the plane (I live in a colder climate) and carry a Les Pliages with my Birkin and some of DD's toys in there. I would love a 29" but I find that I'm always at the weight limit with a 26" and would definitely go beyond that with a 29" so the 26" keeps me in check.

Good point about the weight!!! That's very helpful. I'm wanting a Tumi, but think I'll just go with a Samsonite or something else since this will be a check in bag. I had a Samsonite on this last trip and the darn tag already fell off. That's how rough they were. But it's a little carry on. Not big enough for a week's trip.

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=8&id=42

This bag is my Faithful Friend. (All bags get names when they have traveled with me for more than 50,000 miles, or if they've survived a watershed event. This one well deserves it's name)

I bought one of these bags 5 years ago. In the interviening time, it has toured seven countries on two contienents. It has traveled about a half-million miles. I've lived out of it for up to three months (yes, I did laundry while traveling) It can be carried aboard unless you are flying with British Airways (grumble, 12 lb weight limit, grumble) It corners on a dime, and I've only had it loose its balance when I rest a too-heavy bag over its handles.

Since I've carried it, I've only had slight damage to a zipper pull, which occured when I checked the bag.

I usually just travel with my Faithful Friend and a leather briefcase (pochette inside the briefcase, of course.)

I check in my Tumi suitcase and the matching duffle/tote bag. I use my Goyard Tote as my carry on. Although sometimes, I use my llbean boat and tote because it is travel friendly. A boat and tote is probably an Hermes No no. LOL.

I use a big Tumi rolling suitcase in black. It's been around the world a bunch of times and the corners are all torn up after 6 years. It has never failed me, and I'll probably have it repaired this year. For carryon, I'll stuff my 35cm Birkin into the Les Pliages for protection, along with a scarf, h20, etc. I carry my laptop in a no-name special purpose tote along with magazines.

I'd love to be one of those stylish people that carries beautiful luggage, but unless you can guard it 24/7 AND dictate how it is handled, it seems a waste to me. I can only imagine it getting stolen...and obviously it gets man-handled.

At the end of April shoes! I'm doing a little mother/daughter trip with my mom. I have a Damier Pegase 60, but I'm not sure that will be large enough for all my clothes. I dream of being a light packer, but something happens during the last few minutes before we have to leave and I start throwing extra things in there. I'm bringing my extra big Les Pliages to house my Kelly and another small handbag, and my thin laptop and use that as my carry-on.

Does anyone know if the extra big Les Pliages will fit under the seat in front of you on the airplane? I wanted one to carry my purse and other assorted items in for plane rides and I ordered the largest one available on the custom site without really using a ruler to see exactly how WIDE the bag is. When I got it I realized I have probably made a mistake and should have gotten one size down. I think it is wider than an airplane seat and won't really be good for what I mostly need it for - a carry on that I can keep on the floor. I made the mistake of having my initials put on and so I can't sell it on tPF and buy one size down ..... Sometimes I act too impulsively .... I should have realized I would be better with one that was taller and not as wide. I must admit though that it looks like a great bag and will be great to use for souvenirs when traveling by car, etc. If I had the money I would just order another in a different size to use strictly as a carry on. :yes:

It depends on how much you put into it...if not full, it will be "in compliance" with regulations...and fit under the seat... I am thinking that it would fit in the overhead bin, but not under the seat if used to maximum capacity...cannot recall specific dimensions for compliance these days...

Does anyone know if the extra big Les Pliages will fit under the seat in front of you on the airplane? I wanted one to carry my purse and other assorted items in for plane rides and I ordered the largest one available on the custom site without really using a ruler to see exactly how WIDE the bag is. When I got it I realized I have probably made a mistake and should have gotten one size down. I think it is wider than an airplane seat and won't really be good for what I mostly need it for - a carry on that I can keep on the floor. I made the mistake of having my initials put on and so I can't sell it on tPF and buy one size down ..... Sometimes I act too impulsively .... I should have realized I would be better with one that was taller and not as wide. I must admit though that it looks like a great bag and will be great to use for souvenirs when traveling by car, etc. If I had the money I would just order another in a different size to use strictly as a carry on. :yes:

I use it as a carry-on without any problem for domestic flights--Even with a Birkin and DD's toys, it's not filled to the brim so that the sides can be tucked in. I don't shove it under the seat due to the Birkin's handles--sometimes I create that wall behind my legs after take-off with it, or inch it forward from under the seat under take-off. HTH!

SoCal and Orchids,

Thanks so much. No, I don't plan on filling it by any means. I just want to be able to keep it at my feet so I can access it. I'm flying at the end of March so I'll get to try it then. It is such a nice practical piece, yet stylish at the same time. Thanks again for your replies!

I have a LV Damier Pegasus (the trolley suitcase) in the middle size and I always check it (no problem so far)...
and keep with me a LV Damier Nolita 24h (the bigger size now discontinued) ...