Hermes Garden Party for Travel?

Jun 6, 2010
Hi everyone! I think this is my first post in the Hermes forum, I’m starting to dip my feet into the brand and might be onto an Hermes kick! I have a couple things I’m interested in... Oran sandals, a Lindy, an Evelyne, but right now I’d like to learn more about the Garden Party.

I know this is a popular bag, what do you tend to use it for? I love the look of it and the fact that it’s understated, but I’m worried that the mainly-hand carry will get annoying for me fast. Some background on me: I take care of my bags but I don’t necessarily Baby them, so I love things like LV canvas for travel usually because I don’t have to worry about damage or losing their shape as much. I’d like to get an aternate tote for travel, and I’m eyeing the Garden Party... originally I was looking at the Goyard St. Louis but with the quality issues and lack of inner pocket (I hate the pouch idea) I’ve been looking for alternatives.

I guess I’m just curious to know whether you use your Garden Party for travel, and do you find it cumbersome if you’re also carrying luggage with you?

Tia!

Reactions: Sakura198427
Why don't you start with a Evelyne? Great for travel and Clemence leather is very durable. Also there's always a gorgeous assortment of colors available.

The garden party is not my favorite for travel not because it is more open but because it has no feet in case I have to put it on the floor for whatever reason. The Victoriai is a great travel bag because of it’s roominess, zipper and feet.

I have seen other people suggest the Victoria but I’m just not a fan of the shape :sad:

When you say ‘travel’ bag, do you mean something that can be used as your small carry on for the airport? For going out and about in town? Business travel? Leisure travel? Both?

I have not found an H bag that can meet my travel needs. For business travel, I need something that can fit a laptop and preferably be shoulder carried. I use an LV tote or a Valentino backpack for that.

For leisure travel, I’ve used a longchamp and a backpack. Shoulder/back carry is essential as I usually have a carry on and need my hands free. Plus I tend to load my bag full of stuff and I need a bag that closes.

I carry a small Chanel in my hand carry for when I need a small bag for going around town. A tpm Evelyne can work as well but I don’t like the open top and prefer a zipper.

I love my plumes but they are not the right size for my travel needs. If you don’t mind a hand carry bag that is open, than a GP can work.

I would not choose that bag for any kind of travel unless perhaps for (driving to) the beach or a resort like mentioned. I've never carried a GP to the airport, but it sounds like a complete nightmare to me because of the wide open top.

Reactions: StaceyLyn
I travel with my garden party all the time to warm destinations...
It has great capacity and goes om my shoulder...i probably wouldn't carry around crowded bustling cities because it's so open...ive only worn mine at the resorts.View attachment 4368240

Thanks for the picture and your experiences with it! Glad to hear it can fit on the shoulder.

When you say ‘travel’ bag, do you mean something that can be used as your small carry on for the airport? For going out and about in town? Business travel? Leisure travel? Both?

I have not found an H bag that can meet my travel needs. For business travel, I need something that can fit a laptop and preferably be shoulder carried. I use an LV tote or a Valentino backpack for that.

For leisure travel, I’ve used a longchamp and a backpack. Shoulder/back carry is essential as I usually have a carry on and need my hands free. Plus I tend to load my bag full of stuff and I need a bag that closes.

I carry a small Chanel in my hand carry for when I need a small bag for going around town. A tpm Evelyne can work as well but I don’t like the open top and prefer a zipper.

I love my plumes but they are not the right size for my travel needs. If you don’t mind a hand carry bag that is open, than a GP can work.

I should have clarified! When I say “travel” I mean more like an airport bag/additional carryon that carries big things (I also would have a small Chanel to bring around with me during the day), but ideally the Garden Party (or alternative) would also be a bag to bring if we had a longer day planned and I needed to bring more things with me than the Chanel would fit. Also, I haven’t had the chance to travel for business yet so this is just leisure.

Thanks for your input!

I would personally not take a garden party as my persona purse when traveling. It does fit on my shoulders but not very comfortable plus all the other reasons mentioned about it being open.
I always use my lindy whenever traveling. Very roomy, has zippers and shoulder straps.

Reactions: StaceyLyn
As a frequent traveller, I say no to the garden party. It does not close and, therefore, it is impractical. You can’t stow it in the compartment above your seat without things falling out. It gets heavy too. If you really are looking for a travel bag, get a Tumi tote or something similar from another brand - one that can slide over the handles of your wheeled bag, is lightweight, actually holds a lot, zips up and can take abuse.

Ok I looooove using garden party as a travel/carry on bag. It’s stylish, can be dressed up and down with a twilly/charms and use for occasions outside the airport (meaning one less bag for me to pack, there’s no way I would go sightseeing and carry something that obviously screams tourist). It sits perfectly on the carry on luggage. It also has a stud closure so not sure why any items would fall out? I also have inserts inside the bag so that it’s very easy to see everything you have and reach for the items.

Personally I don’t understand why anyone would buy big tote style bag and not have any inserts to organize items. I never have problems with using it, in fact I love it a lot more than I expected because when traveling to tropical destinations it’s also a beach/shopper bag, able to put more items like beach towel, sunscreen, hats etc. it’s also big enough for work holidays/functions etc so that you can still look stylish carrying a laptop etc and can go from functions to sightseeing...

I’m packing it with me for my next trip as we speak....

Last edited:
Are we all talking about the same bag? Mine (36 all-leather) has a popper to hold it closed if need be. It also has a very large zipped side pocket so feels quite safe to me even if I leave it un-popper-ed. . It's not my handbag though and I usually wear a cross-body with it.

I use mine for work, day-trips and/or shopping. One of the things I like about it is that things stay put ad it has good depth to it.

I'd be happy to travel with it as an extra bag but it doesn't go over my shoulder.

I should have clarified! When I say “travel” I mean more like an airport bag/additional carryon that carries big things (I also would have a small Chanel to bring around with me during the day), but ideally the Garden Party (or alternative) would also be a bag to bring if we had a longer day planned and I needed to bring more things with me than the Chanel would fit. Also, I haven’t had the chance to travel for business yet so this is just leisure.

Thanks for your input!

No problem!! Everyone is different which is what makes this forum so amazing. Some people think the GP is the perfect travel bag but I haven't found an H bag that works for me. Good luck with whatever you decide!!