Hermes Faubourg vs. Cartier Ballon Bleu

Cissi-4D

Mar 19, 2009
Hi everyone!

I've been looking for a nice watch for a while, and almost decided on a Cartier Ballon Bleu because of its classic look. However, I saw the Faubourg watch in store today and was immediately drawn to it because of its mini size. It feels very elegant and Parisian to me, which I love. They have the yellow gold with leather strap version in store, but I'm more of a silver/white gold/platinum person. There is a full white gold (case and strap) version which the SA said he can order in for me to look at. Price-wise, the yellow gold with leather strap is similar to the CBB, while the full white gold is about 2.5 times more.

I've promised myself that I won't buy anything for the sake of its being Hermes, but it truly is a model that I really like and the 15.5mm case diameter is very rare nowadays (CBB 26mm is the smallest watch I've seen across Cartier, Omega, and Rolex. I have small wrists!). However, I don't know how the quality of Hermes watches compare to Cartier - I've heard that the H and Kelly watches are more fashion accessories. What do you think?

Attachments

• Faubourg.jpg
    Faubourg.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 1,672
  • Faubourg model.jpg
    Faubourg model.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 1,774
I'd go with Cartier.

Hello,

if I had to decide. I'd go with cartier. It's such a classic.

Thanks very much for your inputs - I really appreciate it. I'm still listening for advice but one question about ordering the watch in, I told the SA I spoke to that I was 70% interested in getting it, but I need to see it in person before I decide. He would order it in from Singapore and said that I do not need to put down a deposit for it. Now I'm feeling a bit bad that I may not go with this watch after all, should I tell him to hold off ordering it in before I know for sure? I'm relatively new to this store, and don't want to piss a SA off by ordering in an expensive item then deciding against it, and lose my chance at a K later!

Thanks in advance!

Thanks very much for your inputs - I really appreciate it. I'm still listening for advice but one question about ordering the watch in, I told the SA I spoke to that I was 70% interested in getting it, but I need to see it in person before I decide. He would order it in from Singapore and said that I do not need to put down a deposit for it. Now I'm feeling a bit bad that I may not go with this watch after all, should I tell him to hold off ordering it in before I know for sure? I'm relatively new to this store, and don't want to piss a SA off by ordering in an expensive item then deciding against it, and lose my chance at a K later!

Thanks in advance!

I would not have him order it until you know you don't want the Cartier. Don't feel bad. Only buy H things if you love it. H is way too expensive to not love it. If you're buying just to gain points to buy a K and you don't love the H items you buy then your money might as well go to a reseller. H has plenty if beautiful items to love though, it may just not be that watch. IMHO

I would not have him order it until you know you don't want the Cartier. Don't feel bad. Only buy H things if you love it. H is way too expensive to not love it. If you're buying just to gain points to buy a K and you don't love the H items you buy then your money might as well go to a reseller. H has plenty if beautiful items to love though, it may just not be that watch. IMHO

Thanks very much dessert1st (I like your username, btw :biggrin:). I guess my issue is I actually prefer the look and style of the H watch to the CBB, but given the cost and the perception that H watches are not as well made as Cartier, I am beginning to think it's not worth it. It's more than the cost of a regular B!! I guess I'm answering my own question that neither watch is worth it and maybe I just need to find another one that is a similar style to H but probably similar price range to C. It is a shame really because I understand that H has recently invested a lot of money into their watch making arm, but given the popularity of their fashion accessories line, they will always have that shadow of not being a serious watch maker.

Thanks for helping me thinking this through.

Thanks very much dessert1st (I like your username, btw :biggrin:). I guess my issue is I actually prefer the look and style of the H watch to the CBB, but given the cost and the perception that H watches are not as well made as Cartier, I am beginning to think it's not worth it. It's more than the cost of a regular B!! I guess I'm answering my own question that neither watch is worth it and maybe I just need to find another one that is a similar style to H but probably similar price range to C. It is a shame really because I understand that H has recently invested a lot of money into their watch making arm, but given the popularity of their fashion accessories line, they will always have that shadow of not being a serious watch maker.

Am glad I could help. I know many people are serious about their watches and quality etc. Personally I am not so discriminating so it is such an individual decision in that regard. I don't own many and just buy what I think will look nice and stand the test of time fashionably and quality. I own the H cape cod and love it. I guess if is watch is more than a B then yes, you should be more discriminating given the cost but the bottom line is buy what you love.

It's always good to think out loud sometimes especially when debating something expensive. GL in your decision.

I love watches. I look for quality, craftsmanship, style, etc. I tend to go for brands that manufacture mostly watches. I love H but I don't yet own any H watches. I have considered getting a Cape Cod watch as a day to day fashion watch but haven't taken the plunge yet.

To me, Cartier is known for their jewelry and watches. I own 3 Cartier watches and they're great for day to day. My wedding present from DH was a Cartier watch. One is from my mom's vintage collection (1970) and it still looks and works great. That said, nowadays all quartz watches should run perfectly without any problems. H watches should work just as well as Cartier and other brands so you shouldn't have to worry about quality although other members owning an H watch can probably tell you more on this.

I personally think watches are probably one of the most personal jewelry items because you're the person that looks at it most of the time (at least here in Canada where one wears long sleeves most of the year!). So it's more about personal preference--do you like the Faubourg style better than the CBB, how will each look on your wrist, how do they complement your wardrobe and lifestyle? One time I like this one watch so much from ads but in person it didn't look right on my wrist at all so I passed.

There's no point in getting a watch and not wear it later. I agree with dessert1st that you shouldn't have your SA order the watch unless you're pretty sure. And then don't feel bad if you decide you don't want it after you try it out. As long as you're sincere and interested and be upfront with your SA that you won't know until you try it on, he should be understanding enough. BTW, have you tried the CBB on in person yet? G'luck with your decision. Can't wait to see what you end up getting. :smile:

Thanks dessert1st and Fabfashion :smile:

Fabfashion, such sensible advice! I think I was a bit caught up in brand perception before. Basically, if they were similar in price, I would go for the H watch without thinking much further because it suits me better. I will call up the SA tomorrow and ask him to hold off ordering the watch in as I want to be more certain.

Unfortunately, because the Faubourg only came out in May, I can't seem to find any review for it :sad: I think the reason it is so much more expensive than the CBB is because the strap is made of white gold rather than stainless steel. I definitely will need a metal strap as I am not the thoughtful person who would take off her watch when washing her hands, etc.

I tried on the CBB in person a couple weeks ago, and felt that because our was the smallest, it was the best option I have amongst the brands and price range I was looking at, which was Cartier, Omega, and Rolex. I loved the look of the Omega Ladymatic in the ad but it looks ridiculous on my wrist as it was huge.
Beautiful watch though :smile:

I agree with Fabfashion. I, too, am a watch girl and I simply would prefer to buy a watch from Rolex, Cartier or Omega. In fact, I have tiny tiny wrists and have a Rolex datejust, a vintage Omega from my DH's grandmother that is still going strong, and am saving to buy the Cartier Mademoiselle. I feel like Rolex, Cartier and Omega are known for the quality and craftsmanship of watches the same way H is known for quality and craftsmanship in their leathers. If I'm paying more than I want to pay for the brand with the better reputation in that category.

That being said, this is your watch. If you love it and don't mind spending the money, then by all means go for it. I would not have the SA order it until you've decided that you can live with the fact that it's a non traditional watch brand and you are ok with that. It is beautiful. Have you looked at other Cartier or Omega watches? They have plenty of choices for people with small wrists.

Forgot to say thanks on the username compliment. Thanks! Also, I should mention in disclosure that I have a Cartier and my Cape Cod. The H CC watch is relatively inexpensive with the leather band so it's not a huge purchase which makes buying it easier.

Thanks everyone for your kind advice!

I just called the store and the SA was lovely. He said that normally, they only order in if the customer is quite sure they want it. However, it would be impossible for me to decide whether to invest in the watch without seeing it in person, and because it is quite a nice watch for them to have it in store, he told me not to worry about it.

He also told me that Hermes has been making watches since 1930s and is now making the movements in house. I think dessert1st and jyyanks are right that it's such a personal thing, I need to be ok with Hermes not being a traditional watchmaker. The good thing is my DH is supportive. He said that if it takes the pressure off, he can buy it for me as a present :biggrin:

I'm gonna look around more for watches from other brands to make sure that I've done a thorough search. Unfortunately, I don't really like the look of the Rolexes. I think the other watch that I like but thought it was too expensive for someone who doesn't really appreciate watches like me was the Cartier Baignoire. Beautiful thing!

Hello Cissi,

I think it's very smart to check out other brands too before making a decision. I really like jaeger lecoutre and Ebel. Maybe you want to check out their watches too.
I'm with you when it comes to rolex.

Have fun deciding!

Thanks everyone for your kind advice!

I just called the store and the SA was lovely. He said that normally, they only order in if the customer is quite sure they want it. However, it would be impossible for me to decide whether to invest in the watch without seeing it in person, and because it is quite a nice watch for them to have it in store, he told me not to worry about it.

He also told me that Hermes has been making watches since 1930s and is now making the movements in house. I think dessert1st and jyyanks are right that it's such a personal thing, I need to be ok with Hermes not being a traditional watchmaker. The good thing is my DH is supportive. He said that if it takes the pressure off, he can buy it for me as a present :biggrin:

I'm gonna look around more for watches from other brands to make sure that I've done a thorough search. Unfortunately, I don't really like the look of the Rolexes. I think the other watch that I like but thought it was too expensive for someone who doesn't really appreciate watches like me was the Cartier Baignoire. Beautiful thing!

I was about to post this then your SA beat me to it.

I bought some original Hermes ad posters from last trip to the South of France and one of them was from year 1939 features their first ever issued silk carre. In the same poster, it also has two watches they were advertising. So Hermes have been making watches longer than they have been making silk scarves!

The moral of the story is perception can be deceiving. I think Hermes watches are of top quality. I personally am not attracted to their style though. But if you like the look of it and money isn't an issue, then go for it.