Hermes etiquette 101 - "greasing the wheels"?

I know you mean well but you cannot bribe the SAs. Just keep trying and they'll help you find your bag. For whatever reason, husbands/boyfriends who shop alone get better service than us female folk - especially if they're first time buyers, usually in the hunt of a pretty accessory for their other half. And unfortunately not all boutiques ship. It really just depends on the store. If all else fails, then try a reseller. Good luck!

Oh I LIKE this guy!! :heart: You sound like the ideal H client, with a sincere appreciation for quality over faddishness.

BTW some stores will ship once they have an imprint of your credit card, but many will not. Just wanted to clarify that because it seems kind of random as to which ones will and which ones won't.

Hi CynthiaNYC, thanks for the info! Do you happen to remember which locations ship? I've heard that it also depends on your specific relationship with your SA.

By the way, you can almost cross thalassa and sapphire off that list, AH, they're not available anymore. I'm HUNTING a thalassa, myself!

Blue Jean, however, shouldn't be so hard.

Hi GF! Yes, I am in the US (usually either St Louis, Southern California, or Baltimore) That's too bad about the Thalassa and Sapphire, they looked like such nice shades of blue. Are there many others? I've heard about "Brighton" blue, but have not yet seen it.

For whatever reason, husbands/boyfriends who shop alone get better service than us female folk - especially if they're first time buyers, usually in the hunt of a pretty accessory for their other half.

That's interesting, I wonder why that is? Maybe they just take pity on the confused, lost-looking significant others who are clearly out of their league in leather goods :smile:

Lol! No, actually I've seen them bend over backwards to help accomodate loving DHs as yourself. Your wife is definitely one lucky lady! GF's right, Thalassa's no longer in production but brighton blue and blue jean still are. There's also turqiouse. Good luck! I'm sure whatever you find, she'll absolutely love.

Addict's Hubby, Good luck on your quest and welcome to the forum! :smile:
and yes, you should buy something for yourself as well. :smile:

Haha! Thanks, KB. I should probably start saving money just in case I have to pay one of those ultra-high mark-ups. Some small leather items as Christmas gifts might be nice, though, while at the same time working on my SA relations ;)

I say go for the Hermes experience if possible. Because there is no better experience than going into Hermes knowing that your prized possession is going to be leaving with you. She'll really enjoy walking out of the store with the Orange body bag sized shopping bag haha. And yes Kudos to appreciating the quality of Hermes versus the simple status factor etc.

You sound like just the kind of DH the SA's love. With your knowledge of the brand and the fact that you recognize it as a work of art I bet you'll have no problem developing a great SA relationship! :tup:

That's interesting, I wonder why that is? Maybe they just take pity on the confused, lost-looking significant others who are clearly out of their league in leather goods :smile:

Well... I think they unconsciously want to be rich men's mistresses so they can buy what they sell :lol:

Ok, Freud aside - Men do really well because they are perceived to be less picky, easier to manipulate, have lots of disposable cash, or hate shopping so much that they'd toss the credit card out just to get out of there.

Save your dollars... who knows, maybe you'll be able to seduce a SA instead of a Birkin. :sweatdrop:

Many thanks for the help! I certainly don't want to do anything unsavory to secure the bag, I'm just interested in learning about how this works (I'm still amazed that Hermes is able to have us wait in line to pay $8,000+. It's genius, really.)

You know, this has never crossed my mind before! That's so true!

I think my wife would really enjoy the whole "ceremony" of going to an Hermes boutique and picking up her new Birkin herself, but if that proves impossible, I will certainly go with a reseller. Thanks again!

And that is double true! ....your wife is a very lucky woman! Good luck with your search!